It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Dietary supplements for high cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2004, 09:17 AM   #1
    LovingLife
    (female)

LovingLife HB User
    Dietary supplements for high cholesterol

My doc put me on Lescol(fluvastatin) about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I had a reaction within a few days, terrible aching muscles and fever. She wanted to try different statin drug, but I have decided to take 3-6 months to seriously work on it. I want to give this everything I have, because I don't know if I'll ever be willing to try another statin.

I have decided to exercise more. I just dusted off my Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies tapes, and I do plan to sweat with them this afternoon. I have a list of good and bad foods from my doctor. I am in the process of making out a shopping list.

***My main question is in regards to dietary supplements. I have been advised to take flaxseed, lecithin, Omega 3 fish oil, and evening primrose. Are these the best choices? Is this a good combination? I am unsure of how much to take. I know my risk factor should be under 4.0. I am looking for any and all advice.

Here are my numbers:

TC 248
    Trig 210
    LDL 172
    HDL 35
    Risk 7.2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2004, 12:42 PM   #2
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User
    Re: Dietary supplements for high cholesterol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LovingLife
    My doc put me on Lescol(fluvastatin) about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I had a reaction within a few days, terrible aching muscles and fever. She wanted to try different statin drug, but I have decided to take 3-6 months to seriously work on it. I want to give this everything I have, because I don't know if I'll ever be willing to try another statin.

I have decided to exercise more. I just dusted off my Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies tapes, and I do plan to sweat with them this afternoon. I have a list of good and bad foods from my doctor. I am in the process of making out a shopping list.

***My main question is in regards to dietary supplements. I have been advised to take flaxseed, lecithin, Omega 3 fish oil, and evening primrose. Are these the best choices? Is this a good combination? I am unsure of how much to take. I know my risk factor should be under 4.0. I am looking for any and all advice.

Here are my numbers:

TC 248
    Trig 210
    LDL 172
    HDL 35
    Risk 7.2
    Your HDL is bad news compared to the modest TC. That's a TC/HDL ratio of 7, when it should be 4 or less. I don't think those supplements will do much for the HDL. However, the FISH OIL (Omega 3) will lower your high triglyceride levels quite a bit. Take at least 2 Grams (DHA/EPA) a day.REGULAR AEROBIC EXERCISE of at least 30 min a day should raise your HDL, but it may take as long as 6 months to do so. Be patient. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
    NineLives
    Veteran
    (female)

NineLives HB User

I've heard good about all of those you mentioned except for evening primrose. Basically that is the first I've heard of anyone taking it for cholesterol. Please tell me more about it. I've taken flax seed oil in capsule form but some people sprinkle flaxseed meal on their oatmeal. I couldn't take the fish oil because of nasty burps. I take the recommended amounts on the bottles.
    Niacin is one that you didn't mention. It is suppose to be excellent for raising good cholesterol. I just started on it about a month ago so I've not had any blood work and probably won't until August. Will let you know then about how it has done.

Old 05-26-2004, 04:09 PM   #4
    Miriam7

Miriam7 HB User

Nine Lives...

You mentioned having a problem with the fish oil burps...I did too...yet I continued to take SIX pills per day trying to get my cholesterol down (along with 13 other pills each day). Anyway, long story short, I FINALLY found a fish oil capsule that doesn't give you heartburn or burps at all! I promise! It is called FISOL...just do a google search on FISOL and you'll find it at tons of websites...vitamin shoppe, ******, etc. It is an enteric coated fish oil pill, so it dissolves in your intestine rather than your tummy...so no burps! My family (me, hubby and teenage daughter) have been taking them for a few weeks now, and I PROMISE that I haven't had ONE bit of problem with them.

I just can't believe I took the other kinds of fish oil pills for over a year and suffered like I did.

Good luck to you. (by the way, I don't own or sell FISOL...I have nothing to do with the company either. )

Old 05-28-2004, 08:52 AM   #5
    boyscout

boyscout HB User

Something else you might want to try are plant sterols and stanols. They help reduce LDL levels. you can get them in foods and also supplements--one thats greats is cholest-off. you can find it in most drug stores and it can help within two weeks or so. THere's a great program about heart healthy living heres the website. check it out--it might give you some of the answers youre looking for. good luck!!!
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/about/ncep/
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/chd/lifestyles.htm

Old 05-28-2004, 10:31 AM   #6
    CassV

CassV HB User

I also went off the statin drugs for many reasons. For me, the wild garlic, flaxseed oil and boyage oil worked wonderfully.
    Statin drugs also reduce the bodys natural COQ10 which protects the heart and really, to me, that made no sense.

I hope this helps. I saw results in about three months. IT s not a quick fix but then nothing real is.

Old 05-28-2004, 12:04 PM   #7
    LovingLife
    (female)

LovingLife HB User

CassV,

I'd love to more about the dosages you took. I have been researching all over the net, and there is so much information. I just got a supplement that contains the following ingredients. I also started omega 3 fish oil and B vitamins. It seems likely that I could also take some wild garlic, flaxseed oil, and boyage oil as well. What is your opinion?

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size 3 Tablets
    Servings Per Container 20
    Amount Per Serving % DV*
    Calories 10
    Sodium 20 mg <2%
    Total Carbohydrates 1 g <2%
    Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 600 mg 1,000%
    Vitamin E 200 IU 670%
    (as natural D-alpha tocopheryl)
    Niacin (as inositol hexanicotinate) 500 mg 2,500%
    Iodine (from kelp) 150 mcg 100%
    Chromium 100 mcg 80%
    (as chromium picolinate and ChroMate®)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Phytosterol Complex 750 mg †
    40% Yielding 300 mg beta-sitosterol
    Inositol (as inositol hexanicotinate) 640 mg †
    Garlic Powder Extract 600 mg †
    (standardized to 8,000 ppm allicin)
    Tumeric Extract (95% curcumin) 526 mg †
    Artichoke Extract 250 mg †
    (standardized to 2.5% cynarins)
    Methylmethioninesulfonium Chloride 200 mg †
    (Vitamin U)
    Green Tea Extract 95% 100 mg †
    Soy Bean Concentrate 100 mg †
    Yielding 40 mg total isoflavones
    Guggul Gum Resin Extract 100 mg †
    (standardized to 2.5% Gugulipid®.
    guggulsterones Z&E)
    Ginkgo Biloba Leaf 24% (50:1 Extract) 60 mg †
    Dandelion Root Extract (4:1) 50 mg †
    Hawthorne Berry Extract (4:1) 50 mg †
    Myricetin 30 mg †
    Policosanol 20 mg †
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by LovingLife; 05-28-2004 at 12:05 PM.

Old 05-28-2004, 01:07 PM   #8
    CassV

CassV HB User

The dosages I take are following (and I'll add other things I take as well)

flax seed oil 2 gel tablets twice daily
    each servinig 2000 mg. in the following:

linolenic acid Iomega 3) 1,120 mg.
    linoleic acid (omega 6) 300 mg.
    Oleic acid (omega 9 ) 380 mg.

the borage oil I take one gel daily
    and the ingredients in it are:

GLA 240 mg.
    linoleic acid 370 mg.
    Oleic acid 150 mg.

the wild garlic I take is i gram daily

The supplements you mentioned I probably take also

I take Vitamin C with all the flavinoids, probably 3 grams daily
    all B vitaminds, minerals, E,

To be honest, I started this religiously more less to get some energy
    and help my skin but never expected to really ever lower my own blood
    cholesterol.

The Internet is very misleading in terms of information and I feel this way
    because some links and pages people are trying to sell you their product.
    I spend a lot of time researching at my library which is just around the corner
    and I have really gotten into some deep research there and learned much.

Old 06-02-2004, 01:46 PM   #9
    JB
    (female)

JB HB User

I do have an addition to the dietary list for cholestral lowering. In Jan. my Dr. told me to get off Pravachol and try taking Red Yeast Rice twice a day. I bought it at the GNC health food store and tried it. (Statins gave me unwanted side effects of aching muscles).
    My blood work done recently in May showed a lower total cholestral than when I was taking the Pravachol. While taking Pravachol, my total was 207 and I remember the HDL at 57. Now the total is 192 with the HDL at 60, LDL at 104, triclycerides normal. So I am to continue taking this and will have blood rechecked in a year!!!!!!
    This is VERY good news because of the lack of side effects AND the great reduction in price. Red Yeast Rice only costs about 20.00 per month. One precaution--this can't be taken while taking any other statin drugs or cholestral lowering supplements.
    Maybe someone else has also had good results with this, I don't know. I do exercise 4 days a week with a 2 mile walk and watch my diet both for diabetes and cholestral. Good luck,
    jb

Last edited by JB; 06-02-2004 at 01:48 PM.

Old 06-03-2004, 04:27 AM   #10
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Loving,

I got a superb (near doubling) boost in my HDL with daily cod liver oil and Lecithin granuales. I am amazed the literature doesn't support this.
    A friend swears by pantethine for HDL raising but I've never found it at a reasonable price.

Closed Thread