It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• calcium buildup

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
    econnergy

econnergy HB User
    calcium buildup

my choletsral level is 182 i recently took a imaging test which is called ''cornary imaging for calcium score in cornary arteries'' my test showed some calcium buildup around the arteries,he suggested that i take 10mg of lipitor to fight against the plaque
    what do you think

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2004, 05:12 AM   #2
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: calcium buildup

econ,
    I'd say skip the Lipitor.
    The calcium imagaging often shows problems where there is none. AND the data for Lipitor's ability to actually affect plaques in people with low cholesterol is sketchy at best.

Did they give you any scores showing the extent of blockage or was it just a general "some plaque?"

Old 06-02-2004, 11:24 AM   #3
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zip2play
    econ,
    I'd say skip the Lipitor.
    The calcium imagaging often shows problems where there is none. AND the data for Lipitor's ability to actually affect plaques in people with low cholesterol is sketchy at best.

Did they give you any scores showing the extent of blockage or was it just a general "some plaque?"
    I don't know about the validity of the test, but the rationale for taking Lipitor seems appropriate. I know they use it for people with diabetes, past MI 's and stents for just that reason>>>>minimizing probability of plaque build up by supressing LDL as low as possible. Once you have any type of irregularity on the artery wall, you INCREASE the odds of build up and ulceration in that area..regardless of initial cholesterol levels.

Old 06-02-2004, 11:52 AM   #4
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by econnergy
    my choletsral level is 182 i recently took a imaging test which is called ''cornary imaging for calcium score in cornary arteries'' my test showed some calcium buildup around the arteries,he suggested that i take 10mg of lipitor to fight against the plaque
    what do you think
    Here's a link. Click on "Statins reversing plaque" article (second one).

[URL=http://]http://www.hunterdonhealthcare.org/ExecuteQuery.asp?txtSearchText=plaque&x= 8&y=9[/URL]

Old 06-04-2004, 10:38 PM   #5
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

You take diuretics or calcium supplements? I bet your magnesium is low. You have to have magnesium at a ratio to calcium or you will have excess calcium in your body, and the calcium will be deposited anywhere available in the body, including your heart. Diuretics deplete magnesium; therefore, this could be the problem. Lipitor will deplete you CoQ10. CoQ10 is required to keep the heart healthy. Your doctor should never prescribe statin drugs unless he gives you a CoQ10 supplement. Did you know in Canada a warning is REQUIRED on all statin drugs to advise people takiing them that statin are know to deplete COQ10?

Old 06-04-2004, 10:41 PM   #6
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Oh, forgot to mention. A normal magnesium test will NOT tell you your magnesium level intracellularly. It must be done with an intracellular test. Spectracell in Houston does this test. Insurance and Medicare will pay for it. There is less than 3% of total body magnesium in you blood.

Old 06-20-2004, 05:00 PM   #7
    econnergy

econnergy HB User

i'm been taking lipitor 10 mg for the last 2 weeks
    i have been having some pain in lower back, and some minor cramps in my lower stomach, and when i urinate it sometimes burns a bit
    will this go away, are these symptoms
    please let me know

Old 06-20-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Speaking of magnesium, my doctor put me on a diuretic for my blood pressure and when I told him I took a magnesium supplement every day, he told me to stop taking them. Why would my doctor advise me AGAINST a magnesium supplement if the drug he just put me on depletes it?

Old 06-20-2004, 06:48 PM   #9
    jerry78
    (male)

jerry78 HB User

ECONERGY:

What is your Gender, age, and coronary calcium score? That score should be given in a number(between 0-1,000)....if you can provide me with that info., I can help you with your initial question regarding the Scan Test.\

Old 06-20-2004, 07:16 PM   #10
    econnergy

econnergy HB User

chlosteral-182
    but doctor was worried about calcium buildup
    don;t know my calcium score
    but doctor advised because of family history ,calcium score etc... to go to 10 mg of lipitor
    thanks

Old 06-21-2004, 04:14 AM   #11
    jerry78
    (male)

jerry78 HB User

Your total cholesterol number means nothing. You need to know your HDL, LDL, Triglycerides, if you want a fair heart risk assessment.
    A TC of 182 can be either very good or very bad....depends what your other numbers look like.

Closed Thread