It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Trig is 344, HDL is 42, LDL is 93, Total is 204 Please help me decipher this, Please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2004, 06:31 PM   #1
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User
    Trig is 344, HDL is 42, LDL is 93, Total is 204 Please help me decipher this, Please

I had blood work done a few weeks ago and today I got these results with a handwritten note advising strict low cholesterol , low fat diet and recheck fasting bloodwork in 3 months.

I am a 49 year old female who needs to loose a good amount of weight. I only eat fish and white meat chicken or turkey. I occasionally eat a burger but it is usually the extra low fat kind from Wal-Mart that really is about 20 percent calories from fat. I drink skim milk and all other fat free products. I haven't had an egg yolk in years and don't really miss it BUT I am addicted to carbs. I know I eat way too much sugar and while I limit white flour in my diet I eat whole grains freely.

From the little reading I have done this evening on this board I think that may be my problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a novice with this problem and don't really know how bad my numbers are. The only thing that seems way off the chart to me is the triglycerides and, to be honest, some of the posts I have read here are even higher. So, please tell me, where do I go from here? Are there and supplements that might help. Chromium or something I am not aware of?

Karen

Last edited by KrFr; 06-07-2004 at 06:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User
    Re: Trig is 344, HDL is 42, LDL is 93, Total is 204 Please help me decipher this, Please

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KareFree
    I had blood work done a few weeks ago and today I got these results with a handwritten note advising strict low cholesterol , low fat diet and recheck fasting bloodwork in 3 months.

I am a 49 year old female who needs to loose a good amount of weight. I only eat fish and white meat chicken or turkey. I occasionally eat a burger but it is usually the extra low fat kind from Wal-Mart that really is about 20 percent calories from fat. I drink skim milk and all other fat free products. I haven't had an egg yolk in years and don't really miss it BUT I am addicted to carbs. I know I eat way too much sugar and while I limit white flour in my diet I eat whole grains freely.

From the little reading I have done this evening on this board I think that may be my problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a novice with this problem and don't really know how bad my numbers are. The only thing that seems way off the chart to me is the triglycerides and, to be honest, some of the posts I have read here are even higher. So, please tell me, where do I go from here? Are there and supplements that might help. Chromium or something I am not aware of?

Karen
    Don't be alarmed. Those #s aren't that bad. Your TRIG is high (should be below 150) and you can get that down with taking FISH OIL daily...at least 2 Grams NET DHA/EPA content. You should also cut down on the carbs..say by 25%..to further lower the TRIGS. Your LDL is fine and so is the Total. The HDL is a bit low and should exceed 50. Regular exercise (aerobic) will raise that.

Old 06-07-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User
    Re: Trig is 344, HDL is 42, LDL is 93, Total is 204 Please help me decipher this, Please

Thank you Rahod. I will get the fish oil as soon as possible and try to decipline myself to exercise. A little fear can be very motivating. Thanks again.

Old 06-08-2004, 06:36 AM   #4
    NineLives
    Veteran
    (female)

NineLives HB User

Karefree the biggest concern I would have with your numbers is that your high trigs with your low HDL may be a risk factor in itself. In my particular situation my trigs were only slightly elevated 183 and my HDL was 32. My total cholesterol was below 200. I was 41 at the time and thought I was in excellent health.
    As far as carbs go if you can stick to the complex carbs and stay away from the simple sugars you might see a reduction in your trigs. Also there is medication available for reducing your trigs. I would try diet, exercise and supplements first though.
    I would also look at other risk factors. Do you have family history? Are you diabetice or have high blood pressure? Do you smoke? You have already mentioned that you are overweight. You need to take all of those things into account along with the lipid levels.

Old 06-08-2004, 07:14 AM   #5
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

Ninelives, I quit smoking 10 years ago. My blood pressure is normal as is my blood sugar but there is both diabetes and high cholesterol in my family.

Thank you for mentioning complex carbs to me as that is what I am hoping to do. I have the diet that they suggested before me and somehow I can't imagine that more than 1/2 of a cup of fruit is as much of a threat to me as all of the sugar I consume daily.

I have so many questions that I don't really know where to start. What supplements do you suggest? Rahod suggested 2 grams of fish oil NET DHA/EPA. Another poster on another thread mentioned the brandname FISOL as a burpless brand.

For the exercise, I think I need to raise my heart rate for 30 minutes to be aerobic but what is the suggested rate per week. I have heard both daily and 3-4 times a week.

Also, you mentioned that at 41 you thought you were in excellent health with a total cholesterol of below 200. I get the feeling from your post that you were mistaken. What happened and what have you done about it?

Thanks again for your input. I feel like we are putting together our own individual puzzles and none of us have the same pieces.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:44 AM   #6
    JacquelineL
    Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

I would cut way back on the carbs first. This is a surefire way to lower trigs. If you lowered them by 200 points, your total cholesterol would drop a good deal too and your ratio would improve. Adding fish oil would be a good idea also, but not as important as getting your trigs down. I use the Costco brand and have raised my HDL nearly 50%. Check the carb content on foods you eat. I try to consume about 20-30 g per meal. You might want more than that. Watch the potatoes, rice, pasta, pastries. Eat whole grain bread but check that the first ingredient is not flour.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:37 AM   #7
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

I feel like I am walking a tightrope here. I know I should have mentioned this before but I recently had 3 polyps removed and have been advised to eat a high fiber diet. I can't get my mind around how to manage both at the same time. High fiber, low carb. I got a true shock this morning when I put back the crunchy oats with strawberries cereal because it had 8 grams of sugar and reached for the raisin bran to find it had 19 grams! I am getting progressively more confused the more I learn. I am going to try to cut back on the processed carbs and I am sure that will help or at least I hope it will.

Can anyone explain how they came up with a total cholesterol for me? I read a forumla in another thread but still can't seem to understand how Trigs of 344, HDL of 42 and LDL of 93 equals a total of 204. TIA

Last edited by KrFr; 06-08-2004 at 11:38 AM.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:59 PM   #8
    NineLives
    Veteran
    (female)

NineLives HB User

Karefree I would recommend the fish oil as well. I could not take it because of the burps but I have not tried the brand suggested by the other poster.
    Your total cholesterol is figured by HDL+LDL+trigs/5. Your risk factor comparing your total to your HDL is a little bit higher than recommended. You are at 4.85 and I believe they like for us to shoot for 4 or below. Your risk ratio is determined by dividing your cholesterol by your HDL.
    Yes, I was fooled by my own body. I am not diabetic, normal bp, non-smoker never was a smoker, slightly overweight, family history of heart disease. I had a blockage at the top of the left anterior descending 75%(widow maker) that would have probably taken my life if I had not been persistent. The doctors just would not believe me when I told them that it was my heart causing me chest pain. I think they finally did the cath because I kept going to my doctor and the emergency room many times for 6 weeks. They fixed it with a stent which within three months caused a scar that blocked to about 97% causing me to need emergency single vessel heart bypass. Even then they really didn't believe when I said the chest pain had returned. I actually walked to the cath lab. That could have cost me my life. I guess it just wasn't my time to go!
    As far as fruit goes eat whole fruit. You might see if you can find a book that has the glycemic index of foods. Watermelon is a higher glycemic index fruit than say an apple or orange. Also just because bread is brown doesn't mean it's whole grain. If the ingredients say enriched flour it is white flour that has just been colored brown.

Old 06-08-2004, 01:15 PM   #9
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KareFree
    I feel like I am walking a tightrope here. I know I should have mentioned this before but I recently had 3 polyps removed and have been advised to eat a high fiber diet. I can't get my mind around how to manage both at the same time. High fiber, low carb
    Actually HIGH FIBER is exactly what you want. It's not the absoute carbs as much as the glycemic index (rate of absorbtion and insulin response to carb). Carbs with a LOT of fiber are good (whole grains, nuts, fruits and vegetables). Always look at the amount of fiber if you can. I eat WHOLE GRAIN pasta, which has 6 gms of fiber (and 9 grams protein) per seving. That's DOUBLE the amount in regular pasta. Make sure your breads are WHOLE GRAIN with at least 4 gms fiber per serving. Stay away from STARCHY FOODS and SUGARS as well. You can get info on the GLYCEMIC INDEXof most foods (do an internet search). Use that as a guide and eat foods with a relatively LOW INDEX..say below 60. Those tend to be higher in fiber.

Old 06-08-2004, 01:21 PM   #10
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Karefree, A good multivitamin would be a good start. Maybe something on the order of a centrum silver. Next you should have a good antioxident, such as CoQ10. The atkins diet is a basic good guideline for a low refined sugar and low refined grain diet. However as with anything, you shouldn't go overboard and eat a pile of meat and no vegetables. (nor should you eat enormous portions of anything) If you look at atkins it is just a diet that diabetics go on. Realize I'm not pushing atkins, but the guides on the sugars that some fruits and vegetables have is a good start. Common sence should play in the diet. Most people have very good results on a low carb low sugar diet. Not everyone.How an individuals body absorbs nutrients will also be a factor, as will certain medications play prevent absorbption of different nutrients (as a side effect). But then again some people will get heart disease no matter what they do, and some people will get cancer no matter what they do. Some peoples bodies just have the genitic make-up that make them more suseptible to certain things. The fish oil that Rahod suggested is also excellent.

Old 06-08-2004, 06:40 PM   #11
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I really appreciate it. I will look into glycemic index information first off as I can understand how the digestive process would make a big difference in how any food is absorbed and I think that is basically what the glycemic index is. This will give me a good beginning as to where to begin. I am definitely going to take the fish oil advice and will start taking multivitamins again also. The CoQ10 sounds like something we all maybe should take.

NineLives, I now understand your name completely. It sounds like you owe yourself your life. I guess some doctors just don't think we know our own bodies. Congratulations on your battle well won. I am sure it was not easy going through all the surgery that you went through but at least you are still with us. I appreciate all you advice but still have one more question. I never was very good at math. What does the "/5" mean in the equation? Is that multiplication or division or what? Sorry to be so uninformed. Also thank you for figuring out my risk rate of 4.85. That doesn't sound so horrible but I know I should do my best to make it better.

Finres, no problem with me going overboard on meat. That isn't something I am drawn to at all. I have tried Adkins in the past but it presented me with problems that I don't relish going through again. I understand through that if Adkins is followed by eating lower fat meat that it is just a low fat diet with portion control on the carbs. I do plan to follow your advice for the vitamins. I was taking one for people who are trying to control their weight (it has chromium) in it but I stopped just a couple of weeks ago. No reason for stopping other than I got tired of taking so many pills but that looks like something I am going to have to get used to.

Rahod, I love whole wheat pasta and used to use it regularly. I also know to look for 100 percent whole wheat bread and actually perfer it to white bread now. I have a recipe for a carrot cake using whole wheat flour that I love but it has enough sugar in in to sweeten tea for the state of Georgia so I guess that is nothing but a pleasant memory now. I have to say that I am looking forward to harvesting my first yellow squash, zuchinni and tomatoes this year. Not only because I love them (which I do) but because it is something that I know I can have without risking my health to do so.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me here. I really appreciate it and have a good place to begin this new journey.

Last edited by KrFr; 06-08-2004 at 06:46 PM.

Old 06-09-2004, 07:16 AM   #12
    NineLives
    Veteran
    (female)

NineLives HB User

Karefree the /5 stands for divided by.

Old 06-09-2004, 07:50 AM   #13
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

Thanks again, NineLives.

Closed Thread