It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Apple Pectin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2004, 08:29 PM   #1
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User
    Apple Pectin

Apple Pectin is a source of water soluble fiber which has a gel-forming effect when mixed with water. As a dietary fiber, Apple Pectin is helpful in maintaining good digestive health. Pectin is defined as any of a group of white, amorphous, complex carbohydrates that occurs in ripe fruits and certain vegetables. Fruits rich in Pectin are the peach, apple, currant, and plum. Protopectin, present in unripe fruits, is converted to Pectin as the fruit ripens. Pectin forms a colloidal solution in water and gels on cooling. When fruits are cooked with the correct amount of sugar, and when the acidity is optimum and the amount of Pectin present is sufficient, jams and jellies can be made. In overripe fruits, the Pectin becomes pectic acid, which does not form jelly with sugar solutions. An indigestible, soluble fiber, Pectin is a general intestinal regulator that is used in many medicinal preparations, especially as an anti-diarrhea agent. Our ancestors believed that old proverb "An apple a day keeps the doctor away". Today, nutritional scientists research for evidences that verify how Apples are good for our health. Apples are rich in pectin, a soluble fiber, which is effective in lowering cholesterol levels. Apples work in any form (raw fruit or powder or juice) to maintain good cardiovascular health. Researchers at the University of California, Davis, found that Apple Pectin acts as an antioxidant against the damaging portion of cholesterol in the blood stream. Many researchers suggest that people who eat fatty foods should, if possible, wash down this food with apple juice rather than the usual drink. Researchers have found that raw Apples are the richest of fruits in pectin, with the Jonagold variety of Apple leading other varieties. A diet of low fiber, high fat, and animal protein appears to be the leading cause of death in many people. It has been established that a diet rich in Apple Pectin can protect against these diseases. Research in Japan has found that Apple Pectin can also decrease the chances of colon cancer. Apple Pectin helps maintain intestinal balance by cleansing the intestinal tract with its soluble and insoluble fibers. Apple Pectin tends to increase acidity in the large intestines, and is advocated for those suffering from ulcer or colitis, and for regulating blood pressure. Pectin is also effective in causing regressions in, and preventing, gallstones. There is also evidence that the regular use of Apple Pectin may lessen the severity of diabetes. Along these lines, it has been suggested that fiber-depleted diets actually help cause diabetes mellitus. Other studies have shown that the regular consumption of Apple Pectin could lead to permanent reductions in insulin requirements (to prevent the possibility of insulin overdose, diabetics should make their physician aware of the dietary change.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2004, 04:54 AM   #2
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: Apple Pectin

rahod,
    You might find this interesting.
    Quote:
    An alcohol test gives a rough estimate of the amount of pectin in fruit juice. In a small dish, put 1 teaspoon juice and 1 Tablespoon 70% rubbing alcohol. Stir slightly to mix. Juice high in pectin will form a solid jelly-like mass that can be lifted with a fork, Juices low in pectin will remain liquid or form only small particles jelly-like lumps. Note: Do not taste this mixture. Rubbing alcohol is poisonous. Keep the container out of reach of children.
    How much pectin is in an average apple? I have searched til I'm blue in the face!
    You can get many of the same benefits from the soluble fiber of oats, psyllium and my particular favorite leftover from my low carb days: xanthan gum for thickening.
    Also BEANS are incredibly high in soluble fibers!

Last edited by zip2play; 06-22-2004 at 05:09 AM.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:15 AM   #3
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rahod
    Apple Pectin is a source of water soluble fiber which has a gel-forming effect when mixed with water. As a dietary fiber, Apple Pectin is helpful in maintaining good digestive health. Pectin is defined as any of a group of white, amorphous, complex carbohydrates that occurs in ripe fruits and certain vegetables. Fruits rich in Pectin are the peach, apple, currant, and plum. Protopectin, present in unripe fruits, is converted to Pectin as the fruit ripens. Pectin forms a colloidal solution in water and gels on cooling. When fruits are cooked with the correct amount of sugar, and when the acidity is optimum and the amount of Pectin present is sufficient, jams and jellies can be made. In overripe fruits, the Pectin becomes pectic acid, which does not form jelly with sugar solutions. An indigestible, soluble fiber, Pectin is a general intestinal regulator that is used in many medicinal preparations, especially as an anti-diarrhea agent. Our ancestors believed that old proverb "An apple a day keeps the doctor away". Today, nutritional scientists research for evidences that verify how Apples are good for our health. Apples are rich in pectin, a soluble fiber, which is effective in lowering cholesterol levels. Apples work in any form (raw fruit or powder or juice) to maintain good cardiovascular health. Researchers at the University of California, Davis, found that Apple Pectin acts as an antioxidant against the damaging portion of cholesterol in the blood stream. Many researchers suggest that people who eat fatty foods should, if possible, wash down this food with apple juice rather than the usual drink. Researchers have found that raw Apples are the richest of fruits in pectin, with the Jonagold variety of Apple leading other varieties. A diet of low fiber, high fat, and animal protein appears to be the leading cause of death in many people. It has been established that a diet rich in Apple Pectin can protect against these diseases. Research in Japan has found that Apple Pectin can also decrease the chances of colon cancer. Apple Pectin helps maintain intestinal balance by cleansing the intestinal tract with its soluble and insoluble fibers. Apple Pectin tends to increase acidity in the large intestines, and is advocated for those suffering from ulcer or colitis, and for regulating blood pressure. Pectin is also effective in causing regressions in, and preventing, gallstones. There is also evidence that the regular use of Apple Pectin may lessen the severity of diabetes. Along these lines, it has been suggested that fiber-depleted diets actually help cause diabetes mellitus. Other studies have shown that the regular consumption of Apple Pectin could lead to permanent reductions in insulin requirements (to prevent the possibility of insulin overdose, diabetics should make their physician aware of the dietary change.

I read an article about pectin in my woman's world magazine. I tried to get pectin in capsule form at gnc and the clerk didn't know what i was taking about. Becuz pectin is good for diabetes, cholesterol and bp, i thought i would try it, i hate apples, but i will put them in my salads. i would prefer a pill but can't them. Any suggestions?

Old 06-22-2004, 04:22 PM   #4
    hottoddy

hottoddy HB User

I would argue that the principal benefit cholesterol-wise is from the "water soluable fiber." So, why not take an inexpensive form like Psyllium Husks? This stuff runs about $5 for a pound at many places. I think people who purchase apple and grapefruit are probably wasting money for little extra benefit.

Old 06-22-2004, 05:55 PM   #5
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtu91952
    I read an article about pectin in my woman's world magazine. I tried to get pectin in capsule form at gnc and the clerk didn't know what i was taking about. Becuz pectin is good for diabetes, cholesterol and bp, i thought i would try it, i hate apples, but i will put them in my salads. i would prefer a pill but can't them. Any suggestions?

You can buy the POWDER as I did. I got a 4 oz jar for around $10 which has about 114 grams. A standard dose is 1 gram or 1000mg (most tablets have around 500 mg)..so that will be 114 doses. Not bad.

Old 06-23-2004, 04:15 AM   #6
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

rahod,
    I think you might do better at a bulk grocer, preferably in the "boodocks" where people make their own jellies with their excess orchard fruit. Since I'm a mile from Times Square, that DOESN'T pertain to my neighbors
    (I'll see what I can find at the grocery store though.)

Let me repeat though: A one pound bag of split peas for $.49 makes about 8 cups of delicious pea soup and has a WHOPPING 110 grams soluble fiber for the total. NOTHING beats that on a pennies per gram basis!

Last edited by zip2play; 06-23-2004 at 04:16 AM.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #7
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zip2play
    rahod,
    I think you might do better at a bulk grocer, preferably in the "boodocks" where people make their own jellies with their excess orchard fruit. Since I'm a mile from Times Square, that DOESN'T pertain to my neighbors
    (I'll see what I can find at the grocery store though.)

Let me repeat though: A one pound bag of split peas for $.49 makes about 8 cups of delicious pea soup and has a WHOPPING 110 grams soluble fiber for the total. NOTHING beats that on a pennies per gram basis!
    Good point. I want something with PECTIN. The powder is PURE PECTIN EXTRACT and has no carbs (as opposed to eating an apple). Don't get me wrong..I eat apples too , but this is a convenient way to get the PECTIN without eating additional apples or apple products with carbs and calories in them.

Old 06-23-2004, 06:12 PM   #8
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rahod
    You can buy the POWDER as I did. I got a 4 oz jar for around $10 which has about 114 grams. A standard dose is 1 gram or 1000mg (most tablets have around 500 mg)..so that will be 114 doses. Not bad.

Thank you. I'll give it a try. Hopefully, it will help me with my cholesterol problem, i need it.

Old 07-04-2004, 06:45 PM   #9
    pslam 91
    Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

I put a shot of apple cider vinager in my water everyday. Do a search on the benefits of it. It is also high in potassium. It is recommended to get the unprocessed kind with "mother" in it.

Old 07-05-2004, 04:37 AM   #10
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

pslam,
    Don't look to cider vinegar for your potassium. A Tbsp has only 15 mg. and we really need in the vicinity of 3000 a day.

Closed Thread