It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Hi all, new to the bd. Need help to understand total cholesterol, HDL, LDL versus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2004, 08:33 AM   #1
    NB1

NB1 HB User
    Hi all, new to the bd. Need help to understand total cholesterol, HDL, LDL versus

the ratio numbers.

DH and I have both had cholesterol tests done more than once and all was fine (higher ever had in past was once DH 205, me always under 200) but the latest test showed for DH a 222 total ch, LDL of 138 and HDL of 51. So 222 is high, but if i do the ratio LDL/HDL, which i I read is a better indicator of cholesterol related risk, it is more than OK:

138/51=2.7 which is the lowest for risk for heart desease

if I do the total ch/HDL ratio it is:

222/51=4.3 which is less good, but i read that the best ratio to take into consideration is the LDL/HDL one and not the total ch/HDL.

Now I am pregnant instead so my numbers that were always under 200 soared up to: total cholesterol 312 and HDL 103 (didn't test my LDL for some reason). So even with such a high total ch. (it's apparently normal that it highers during PGy) if I do my ratios I am even better off than my DH! Even if I don't know my LDL number lets say that it can't be more than 312-103= 209 (surely VLDL is more than 0!!) but anyway lets say my LDL is 209 here goes the ratio:

LDL/HDL ratio--> 209/103= 2.02

total ch/HDL ratio--> 312/103= 3.02

So in both cases my ratio numbers are the lowest possible for risk for cardiac desease.

So my question is:

Should i disregard the total cholesterol numbers and take into consideration the extremely good ratio numbers both for DH and I or does the total ch.LDL and HDL numbers count also on their own? Or should I take into consideration that the ratio numbers are more than fine and not be worried at all (we both eat a very healthy diet and so was very surprised about the hgiher total ch. especially for DH) I to be honest don't get it and all this a bit confusing.

Thanking in advance all who will reply,

NB1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 06:13 AM   #2
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: Hi all, new to the bd. Need help to understand total cholesterol, HDL, LDL versus

NB1,

No you should not ignore the high total cholesterol nor the high probable LDL and triglycerides. Though HDL's are protective, they are not invinciblaaly so and to have a ton of LDL and VLDL circulating in your bloodstream will likely do damage. (Like good brakes are a good idea if you drive fast but the best brakes won't do a lot of good at 150 mph.)

I'm not sure what is considered "normally high" during pregnancy so your obstetritian might be the one to consult. In any case, keep a close watch on the numbers and do all you can to lower the total cholesterol for the months you still have left with the Pg. Fish oil, folic acid, no trans fats, low saturated fats...all the basics.

Old 07-17-2004, 10:29 AM   #3
    NB1

NB1 HB User
    Re: Hi all, new to the bd. Need help to understand total cholesterol, HDL, LDL versus

Thanks Z2P for taking the time to reply. I wonder why then if you have a LDL/HDL ratio lower than 3 or, even better, 2 they give you a risk virtually equal to zero for heart desease. I understand what you are saying and the example of speed and brakes is clever and really makes sense. None of my Drs were worried about my high total ch. level in PGy, I am about to deliver (Tue is my elective c-section day) so I will check myself after that when all is supposed to go back to normal and take it from there.

Thanks again for your help!

NB1

Closed Thread