It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Latest results on Crestor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User
    Latest results on Crestor

Just got my latest test results from lab. I've been on Crestor for about 3 months now using and average dose of 8mg daily (10 mg 4 days a week and 5 mg 3 days a week). Total is 170 (from 250), HDL is 63 (from 61), Trig is 76 (from 180) and LDL is 92 (from 153). I did bring the trigs down initially to 100 using fish oil. Still, very impressive results for such a small dose . No side effects either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2004, 05:16 PM   #2
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
    Re: Latest results on Crestor

rahod, congrats on your numbers. You are so knowledgeable about this stuff. I wish i could take statins (or anything else without side effects) and lower my cholesterol. I have tried lipitor 20mg and 10mg. I always stay on for a month and then the muscle pain kicks in. I've read your previous posts and it seems you like crestor alot. I would like to try lipitor again, do you think if i added cQ10 that i would still get the muscle pains.

As you may remember, im diabetic and my numbers are way too high. I said lipitor becuz i have 3 bttls left. I also have 2 bttls of zetia left.

Your numbers, especially trigs, ldl and ttl cholesterol are what im looking to achieve.
    My drs (gp and endo) will not put me on crestor.

Old 07-17-2004, 06:09 PM   #3
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtu91952
    rahod, congrats on your numbers. You are so knowledgeable about this stuff. I wish i could take statins (or anything else without side effects) and lower my cholesterol. I have tried lipitor 20mg and 10mg. I always stay on for a month and then the muscle pain kicks in. I've read your previous posts and it seems you like crestor alot. I would like to try lipitor again, do you think if i added cQ10 that i would still get the muscle pains.

As you may remember, im diabetic and my numbers are way too high. I said lipitor becuz i have 3 bttls left. I also have 2 bttls of zetia left.

Your numbers, especially trigs, ldl and ttl cholesterol are what im looking to achieve.
    My drs (gp and endo) will not put me on crestor.
    Why won't they put you on Crestor? If they won't, find a Dr who will! It's certanly worth a try, given your problems with Lipitor. Since Crestor is more effective per dose than Lipitor, you can try 5mg (1/2 pill) to start and go from there if required. The fact you still have other meds left over should not enter into your decision. You should take 100mg of Q10 daily with any statin, but I don't know if that help with muscle pain. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

By the way, ALL diabetics should be on a statin...according to the new guidelines. New studies show that they reduce the risk of cardiovascular complications that accompany diabetes.

Old 07-30-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
    K403

K403 HB User

The side effect profile with crestor is not worth it. Doctor just gave me samples of that new drug Vytorin...combo of zocor and zetia...he gave me samples b/c it will not be in pharmacies for a couple of weeks...so far so good..starting dose is 10/20 and suppose to drop my ldl by 53% with no side effects, read pi and seemed impressiv..good luck

Old 07-30-2004, 03:47 PM   #6
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by K403
    The side effect profile with crestor is not worth it. Doctor just gave me samples of that new drug Vytorin...combo of zocor and zetia...he gave me samples b/c it will not be in pharmacies for a couple of weeks...so far so good..starting dose is 10/20 and suppose to drop my ldl by 53% with no side effects, read pi and seemed impressiv..good luck
    This is from Astra Zeneca:

"CRESTOR has now received regulatory approvals in more than 50 countries across five continents and has been launched in over 40 countries worldwide, including 13 European markets, the US and Canada. Over one million patients have been prescribed CRESTOR and more than two million prescriptions have been written worldwide. The post-marketing experience supports the favourable benefit:risk profile of CRESTOR and confirms that the safety profile is comparable to other currently marketed statins.CRESTOR 10mg is the usual recommended start dose for patients new to statin treatment and also for those switching to CRESTOR from other statins regardless of prior dose. "

Also...a 10mg dose of Crestor lowers LDL the same amount (52%) as the 10/20 Vytorin...that's 20mg of Zocor and 10 Zetia. So with Crestor, you're achieving the same result with half the amount of statin. I do think though, that Vytorin is also a good alternative for aggressive treatment.

Old 07-31-2004, 08:31 AM   #7
    K403

K403 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rahod
    This is from Astra Zeneca:

"CRESTOR has now received regulatory approvals in more than 50 countries across five continents and has been launched in over 40 countries worldwide, including 13 European markets, the US and Canada. Over one million patients have been prescribed CRESTOR and more than two million prescriptions have been written worldwide. The post-marketing experience supports the favourable benefit:risk profile of CRESTOR and confirms that the safety profile is comparable to other currently marketed statins.CRESTOR 10mg is the usual recommended start dose for patients new to statin treatment and also for those switching to CRESTOR from other statins regardless of prior dose. "

Also...a 10mg dose of Crestor lowers LDL the same amount (52%) as the 10/20 Vytorin...that's 20mg of Zocor and 10 Zetia. So with Crestor, you're achieving the same result with half the amount of statin. I do think though, that Vytorin is also a good alternative for aggressive treatment.
    acutally, you are getting the same amount of a statin ...crestor 10 to zocor 20mg...zetia is NOT a stain..zetia is a cholesterol absorption inhibitor.

Old 07-31-2004, 11:14 AM   #8
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by K403
    acutally, you are getting the same amount of a statin ...crestor 10 to zocor 20mg...zetia is NOT a stain..zetia is a cholesterol absorption inhibitor.
    HUH ..That's 10 mg Crestor vs 20 mg Zocor (plus 10 mg Zetia in the new drug)..20 is more than 10 in my book anyway.

Old 08-17-2004, 09:58 PM   #9
    FreeSpirit4

FreeSpirit4 HB User

I agree!! Don't go on Crestor! It's side effects are worse than other statins. None of them are that great; but Crestor is so bad that a consumers advocate group is trying to get it banned from the market.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:54 AM   #10
    rc998

rc998 HB User

what are some of the side effects with crestor??

Old 09-29-2004, 11:11 AM   #11
    EKGnormal

EKGnormal HB User

Side effects with Crestor are the same as all the other statins, don't believe the press. 10 million people have been prescribed Crestor now, and where are the naysayers?

Old 11-03-2004, 11:30 PM   #12
    RickRick

RickRick HB User

No naysayer here!

I've been taking 10mg Crestor over 6 months now, and I like it a lot better than either Lipitor or Pravachol. I have no side effects with Crestor. I only wish they were still sending me those $15 checks with each refill. (I guess they know they've secured my loyalty now!)

The one thing that concerned me a tad after my first Lipids+Liver panel with Crestor was that my HDL fell from its usual 55-65 range down to 50. But I just had my second test, and my HDL is at 67 -- my highest ever -- while LDL is great. And this all comes as -- I hate to admit it -- I've been eating somewhat worse lately; perhaps that's why my trigs are up from 147 to 160 (but that's still a lot better than when I was on 40mg Pravachol with somewhat better diet and weight-watching).

Last edited by RickRick; 11-03-2004 at 11:35 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to RickRick For This Useful Post:
    UTVOL06 (09-11-2011)
    Old 11-04-2004, 04:39 AM   #13
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

RickRick...

HDL is perverse.
    I get my best readings when I am swilling gin!

Old 11-06-2004, 12:19 AM   #14
    RickRick

RickRick HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zip2play
    RickRick...

HDL is perverse.
    I get my best readings when I am swilling gin!

Aha! So the "HD" in HDL really stands for "Happy Drinker"

Old 11-11-2004, 03:07 PM   #15
    EKGnormal

EKGnormal HB User

Crestor is selling like gangbusters right now, seems the bad press is unwarranted.

Closed Thread