It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Lipitor Users Please Read

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2004, 07:53 AM   #1
    tatum46
    (female)

tatum46 HB User
    Lipitor Users Please Read

Hi,
    I have been taking LIpitor for a short while now.. I did take it for 4 months in the past and stopped, now I started again. I have ALL kinds of side effects..
    But I don't want to dismiss everything that wrong thinking it's a side effect of the "toxic drug" (Lipitor)
    I would love it if all you Lipitor users here joined me in making a list of things they feel is a result of Lipitor.
    I will begin, I am 41 yrs old and this is my list
    1- memory loss, I have a hard time remembering things.. I can't remember words.. names...
    2- every bone in my body aches.. I can't get comfortable in bed, it feels like I am sleeping on concrete or something and when I get up instead of feeling rested I feel like I've been dragged behind a car all night
    3- I get sharp pains all over my body, especiall around the chest, my upper back.. if I sit for 25 minutes when I stand up my legs are very stiff and painful
    4- GAS - it's horrible
    5- nasua, burning stomach
    6- General malaise

I should point out that I used to get on my stairmaster for 45 minutes everyday with no problems..so the aches and pains are not related to being out of shape.

So please help me out with this.. write if you feel anything is caused by Lipitor.. or maybe any other statin.. so I know I am not the only freak or I am not dismissing anything else because of this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
    larryrs
    (male)

larryrs HB User
    Re: Lipitor Users Please Read

ZOEB,
    I've been on 20mg Lipitor for well over a year now, and have noticed no side effects at all. I do have occaisonal pain, but I attribute that to my age (44).

My liver functions are all normal and the Lipitor had brought my TC from 325 to a low of 175 without a change of diet.

Good Luck

Larry

Old 09-16-2004, 08:59 AM   #3
    tatum46
    (female)

tatum46 HB User

Hi Larryrs,
    Thank you for your reply.. I guess you are one of the lucky ones. I know Lipitor does work (brought down my tc from 290 to 175 in 4 mos - it's up to 360 now that I stopped taking it) But at what expense

Old 09-16-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I was on lipitor and had all the same side effects as you. It did help my cholesterol but i knew it would. However, the pain was so intense and it landed me in the ER, and they took me off of it. After toprol xl, lipitor is the worst drug i've ever taken and i've taken alot of them. I was a 'test subject' for a few yrs until i said enough.

Old 09-16-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
    Subs30
    Inactive
    (male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
    Cool Re: Lipitor Users Please Read

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtu91952
    I was on lipitor and had all the same side effects as you. It did help my cholesterol but i knew it would. However, the pain was so intense and it landed me in the ER, and they took me off of it. After toprol xl, lipitor is the worst drug i've ever taken and i've taken alot of them. I was a 'test subject' for a few yrs until i said enough.
    Hi

Yep me to---it was bad news---all around!

Old 09-17-2004, 03:07 AM   #6
    Karenholden

Karenholden HB User
    Wink Re: Lipitor Users Please Read

Hey How are you,

I have been on Lipitor for high cholestoral for about 4 months now and although I have had a couple of you symptoms, they are not related to the Lipitor because I had the symptoms before starting it.

No problems here - maybe it just does not agree with you and you need to change your meds.

cheers
    Karen

Old 09-17-2004, 04:02 AM   #7
    Alistair
    (male)

Alistair HB User

I have been on lipitor for 4 months and I have started having lower back pain, I have started a thread asking if I stop taking Lipitor how long before I will see some improvement.

I am trying to determine if my lower back pain is being caused by Lipitor or not.

Alistair

Old 09-17-2004, 05:54 AM   #8
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Five Years of Lipitor use (last one with CoQ10-100mg.)

Other than knee and shoulder pain which could be attributable to old torn cartileges in the knees and a shoulder that was ripped from it's socket in a skiing accident 30 years ago, I've had no adverse symptoms. (And I tend to suffer mightily from MANY MANY other drugs.)

So except for the gouging price tag, I have nothing but praise for Lipitor (but I'll switch to the first generic or OTC statin when it comes out to save money!)

Old 09-17-2004, 07:40 AM   #9
    pcovers
    Veteran
    (female)

pcovers HB User

I've been on a statin for several years. Been on 20 mg Lipitor for the last 5 months. I suffer the same shoulder, muscle, neck, and back pains that my wife suffers that is not on any medications but shares with me my age of just a few shy of 50.

The very few unlucky souls that suffer from statins find each other in their search for relief. And in finding each other, presume they constitute a significant problems within the population taking statins.

However, the enormously vast majority of those taking statins will never be heard from beacuse those with no problems do not seek others with no problems.

I do have empathy for anyone feeling the negative side effects of a drug. The aches and pains associated with statins are so generally prevalent in people from 40 on, such as my wife, that it makes it very difficult to determine the root cause, especially as it relates to a statin. I do not associate wy of my own aches and and pains with statins. Tehy seem to mirror pretty closely those around me of similar age that re not on medications. Liver numbers have always been fine.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:41 AM   #10
    tatum46
    (female)

tatum46 HB User

Pcovers, I know what you are saying... thing is 40 is not as old as it used to be.. we are not as old as our parents when they were 40 -if that makes any sense- and I have never had aches and pains until I started taking Lipitor.. like I said 45 minute workout on a stairmaster wouldn't phase me in the least. An ocasional headache was the extend of my problems..
    Now, I don't think my body aged that much in 4 months.. and what about memory loss? And a whole list of side effects they list on Lipitor's web site...

Old 09-17-2004, 11:54 AM   #11
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

ZOEB,

Pick your FAVORITE drug and then look up it's side effects...you will be apalled.
    I echo pcovers post completely and I can add a bit over a decade to his age...
    And I can work out harder than a lot of people half my age... and have a more sculpted body.

Joints wear out...sad, but true.

Old 09-17-2004, 01:27 PM   #12
    tatum46
    (female)

tatum46 HB User

So you are telling me I am just getting old.. and none of my symptoms have anything to do with LIPITOR??????

Old 09-17-2004, 05:24 PM   #13
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

When i first started lipitor three yrs ago, i thought it was just old age also. But then i had to look at the facts. B4 starting the lipitor and many other meds, i could run a 5 mile race, plant and work my garden, and alot of other things. Then slowly pains started creeping up on me. Bcuz i was on so many meds (24 pills), it took me sometime to distinguish which med was the problem. Finally, lipitor sent me to the ER and the drs there immediately took me off of liptior.

Since that time, i have dramatically stopped all meds except for 3 pills.

Old 09-18-2004, 07:32 AM   #14
    ty123
    Inactive

ty123 HB User

I've only been on Lipitor 40mg for a few weeks, but have no side affects. I have F.C.H., and had previously been on Pravachol 80mg...in fact, I'm pretty sure after a trial period I'll be going to Lipitor 80mg along with the Zetia I take.

So far, nothing bad at all to report on Lipitor, but I do have a similar experience to report:

Several years ago I was put on Pravachol 40mg, and had some of the symptoms you had. Weakness, low energy. I complained to the doc, and he backed me off to 20mg.

On 20mg I had no such symptoms at all, however over time it was clear that 20 wasn't cutting it. I asked the doctor to up me back to 40mg, and lo and behold...no side affects! It seems that I had adapted to the medicine and could tolerate larger doses. Later I went to 80mg also without any noticeable affects.

You may want to consider backing off your dose to something small that you can tolerate, with the idea of building it to what you actually need.

As a side note, this is my first post since joining this board, and I'm going to start a separate thread for FH...Familial Hypercholesterolemia, an inherited disorder where your cholesterol levels won't adjust to any diet, and even resists drugs to some extent.

good luck,

mark

Old 09-18-2004, 07:55 AM   #15
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Mark,

Just keep in mind the fact that Lipitor is 4 times as powerful as Pravachol. So, 80mg Pravachol is equivalent to 20mg Lipitor. I certainly hope you never need to take an 80mg dose of Lipitor.

Closed Thread