It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• help zetia ?? and coenzymes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
    help zetia ?? and coenzymes

I am deseperate to lower my cholesterol. I am at present time using take control, olive oil, and artichoke extract. My cholesterol is too high using natural method for reduction.SO i think i will start taking the zetia and stick to my high fiber diet. Also i hope to get off hctz next month after seeing a cardio.

My question is after stopping hctz for bp, and getting on zetia will i have to take a coenzyme 10 if zetia is not a statin?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2004, 05:21 PM   #2
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User
    Re: help zetia ?? and coenzymes

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtu91952
    I am deseperate to lower my cholesterol. I am at present time using take control, olive oil, and artichoke extract. My cholesterol is too high using natural method for reduction.SO i think i will start taking the zetia and stick to my high fiber diet. Also i hope to get off hctz next month after seeing a cardio.

My question is after stopping hctz for bp, and getting on zetia will i have to take a coenzyme 10 if zetia is not a statin?
    Zetia does not deplete the body of Q10..it has no direct action on the liver. I must caution you that Zetia is really best used as an ADJUNCT to statin therapy in order to bypass having to increase the statin dosage to accomplish the LDL goal. Zetia ALONE will only reduce your LDL by 18% and Total by 12%. If you can find any way to add a statin..even 5 mg of Crestor...that will vastly improve your LDL lowering. 5 Mg Crestor is about 85% as effective as 10mg! I know you also had problems with Zetia..OK..try 5mg (as I do). 5mg Zetia is 85% as effective as 10mg as well. These smaller doses should minimize your side effects significantly! You should not get off BP medication unless your Dr advises it!

Old 09-28-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Thanx Rahod. I have changed gps. He doesn't listen to me. I asked to see a cardio and he said no. My bp is usually 130/72 to 150/77. He said it should be at 130/72. The hctz causes my glucose and cholesterol to rise inspite of my strict diet and exercise. In the last five yrs, i've watched my cholesterol climb from under 100 to 337 and back down to 298. He told me to take zetia months back, and you're right it caused me some problems. BUT i definitely need to lower my cholesterol and none of the things i've tried is working. So i need to get back on zetia. He gave me a prescription for pravachol 40 mg. Should i take that and zetia 5mgs together? I prefer to do this in the "bad weather" months when exercise will be limited.

I would have asked my gp yesterday, but we got in a shouting match. He was FIRED as of yesterday.

Old 09-28-2004, 07:42 PM   #4
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtu91952
    Thanx Rahod. I have changed gps. He doesn't listen to me. I asked to see a cardio and he said no. My bp is usually 130/72 to 150/77. He said it should be at 130/72. The hctz causes my glucose and cholesterol to rise inspite of my strict diet and exercise. In the last five yrs, i've watched my cholesterol climb from under 100 to 337 and back down to 298. He told me to take zetia months back, and you're right it caused me some problems. BUT i definitely need to lower my cholesterol and none of the things i've tried is working. So i need to get back on zetia. He gave me a prescription for pravachol 40 mg. Should i take that and zetia 5mgs together? I prefer to do this in the "bad weather" months when exercise will be limited.

I would have asked my gp yesterday, but we got in a shouting match. He was FIRED as of yesterday.
    Well, taking Pravachol 40mg with Zetia (5 mg) will work...BUT, I really think taking Crestor 5 Mg will work MUCH BETTER and you will have a lower exposure to statin as well. Is there any way you can ask your dr to try the Crestor (10mg)..then SPLIT THAT!

Old 09-29-2004, 10:17 AM   #5
    EKGnormal

EKGnormal HB User

Why take the higher dose of Pravachol? Take 5-10 of Crestor, it is more effective than Pravachol.
    Are you overeating high cholesterol foods?
    If so zetia can help, and it works better if used with Crestor.
    If you are naturally overproducing cholesterol (not over eating bad foods), then you only need Crestor. zetia takes cholesterol out of your gut, most of which you are consuming.

Old 09-29-2004, 01:45 PM   #6
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

"If you are naturally overproducing cholesterol (not over eating bad foods), then you only need Crestor. zetia takes cholesterol out of your gut, most of which you are consuming."

Not so...75% of the cholesterol absorbed by the small intestine is from BILE...only 25% is from food itself. Zetia's primary effect is on the cholesterol reabsorbed from BILE.

Old 09-29-2004, 04:35 PM   #7
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Thanks everyone for your help. I have no idea if it's from my gut or my liver but i want it gone. I notice i do eat quite abit of carbs. I am diabetic and try to eat mostly veggies, or fruits. I also eat cereal. Breads, rice and potatoes are out. I was told not to go over 150 carbs per day, but i have been sometimes. I KNOW that hctz is the cause of my cholesterol problem. I no longer guess how this happened. I was put on hctz 5 or 6 yrs ago by a nurse practioner and it has steadily increased my glucose and my cholesterol. Hctz does nothing for my bp anyway, it ist still high.

I will start the pravachol tomorrow am and zetia in the pm. Thankx again.

Closed Thread