It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• just got results, very high cholesterol. Need some opinions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2004, 03:40 PM   #1
    mara6

mara6 HB User
    Unhappy just got results, very high cholesterol. Need some opinions

Hi, I was on the thyroid boards, but it looks like I need to come here.
    I am a 30 year old female, and I just got some bad cholesterol results.

My total cholesterol was 307
    my LDL was 237
    my HDL was 44
    and my TRI was 130

This is higher then it was last year. I only remember that my total cholesterol was 26?, I can't believe that it's gone up so much.

I went to the doc because I haven't been feeling very well, very tired, can't think well, forgetting things, and loss sex drive. I thought that it was my thyroids, but those tests came back fine.

Can high cholosterol make you feel this way?
    Just a couple of nights ago I was having sharp shooting pains in my right arm, but I didn't think that it could be anything serious, now I have to wonder. I've also been getting very bad headaches.

Any advice or suggestions?
    I forgot to add, that I am 5' and I weigh 115, and I don't smoke, drink or do drugs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
    ty123
    Inactive

ty123 HB User
    Re: just got results, very high cholesterol. Need some opinions

Three things you can elaborate on:

Diet, exercise, nutriceuticals and pharmaceuticals.

The above are the areas to consider in lowering your figures, but you've said nothing about your current situation with respect to the above or your general health otherwise.

Old 10-02-2004, 04:58 PM   #3
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mara6
    Hi, I was on the thyroid boards, but it looks like I need to come here.
    I am a 30 year old female, and I just got some bad cholesterol results.

My total cholesterol was 307
    my LDL was 237
    my HDL was 44
    and my TRI was 130

This is higher then it was last year. I only remember that my total cholesterol was 26?, I can't believe that it's gone up so much.

I went to the doc because I haven't been feeling very well, very tired, can't think well, forgetting things, and loss sex drive. I thought that it was my thyroids, but those tests came back fine.

Can high cholosterol make you feel this way?
    Just a couple of nights ago I was having sharp shooting pains in my right arm, but I didn't think that it could be anything serious, now I have to wonder. I've also been getting very bad headaches.

Any advice or suggestions?
    I forgot to add, that I am 5' and I weigh 115, and I don't smoke, drink or do drugs.
    Those are indeed pretty grim #s. Your ratio of Total/HDL is a whopping 7, when it should be UNDER 4. What did your Dr say? High cholesterol alone does not cause any symptoms, however it can result in coronary heart disease. I suspect you have an underlying problem in addition to the elevated cholesterol. Of course you'll still need to LOWER those #s (the LDL) and possibly raise the HDL with diet and exercise and probably medication.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by rahod; 10-02-2004 at 06:53 PM.

Old 10-03-2004, 02:55 AM   #4
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

I agree Mara,
    Those numbers are quite terrible and seeing them can make ANYONE feel terrible, but I doubt the blood lipids themselves are causing any of your symptoms.

You will need to do something to get either that LDL down up or your HDL up and probably BOTH.

You might consider something like a stress test, even though at 30 it isn't USUALLY necessary.

Left arm pain often accompanies angina (or heart attack) but the pain isn't USUALLY described as sharp; more like ACHEY, and GRIPING.
    Look out for a pain in chest or left arm that comes on with exercise and then quickly goes away with rest...THAT'S more likely a serious cardiac induced pain.

For natural methods to improve your lipid picture, read down the posts...there are plenty. And of course, with your profile, a statin drug should be considered. What did your doctor recommend?

Last edited by zip2play; 10-03-2004 at 03:10 AM.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:57 AM   #5
    molly49

molly49 HB User

Hello Mara,

Curious that you thought your symptoms might be thyroid related. You suspected a hormone imbalance. While I guess most people would not connect your symptoms with cholesterol elevation, cholesterol is essential in producing sex hormones.

At your age, I would relate your symptoms more to hormone related disorders such as PMS although your symptoms are also common for those approaching menopause both of which are connected to an imbalance of estrogen and progesterone. Is there a connection here? Who can say. You be the judge.

You do not mention your diet and exercise routine but you might find that by altering your diet and exercise and taking certain supplements to lower your cholesterol, the other symptoms might lessen or disappear altogether since the solution to one is oddly similar to the other.

Are you taking any prescription drugs of any kind? Birth control pills maybe? Some prescription drugs will elevate your cholesterol as well but I would agree with the others who have responded to you already. Those numbers should be dealt with aggressively as your ratios are way out of kilter.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:26 AM   #6
    mara6

mara6 HB User

I have an app tomorrow with a new doctor to look over all of my blood test results. Including the thyroid results, which I suspect could be hurting my cholesterol levels.

I spend my days taking care of my 4 children, and that means, I vaccum 2x's a day, do tons of laundry, sweeping, chasing after the 2 little ones, I don't do any like 30 minute walking or anything, but a good part of my days I am active, even though I have been having a hard time keeping this up, with the way I have been feeling the past 5 months.

As far as food goes, I don't eat cheese yuck, eggs ( they don't agree with me ) I drink skim milk. The only times I really eat meat is during supper. The is one thing I will be cutting down on. I don't eat out at fast food rest. At the most we do that would be 1 time every 2 months. I'm not over weight. I have gained 5 pounds over the last 5 months, but then again, I thinks it's my thyroids.

Like I said, I have an appt tomorrow, and it's with a new doctor. I will post what she has to say.

Thanks for all your responses.

Closed Thread