It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• New to high cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2004, 09:17 PM   #1
    hjg0989
    (female)

hjg0989 HB User
    New to high cholesterol

Hi All,

I just got a letter from my doctor asking me to make another appointment to discuss the results of my blood work. She said my cholesterol is really high. The numbers are:

Cholesterol 293
    Triglycerides 105
    HDL 85
    LDL 187

Well, I've done some quick reading and they do seem to be high. I am a 47 year old female. 5'3" 120 pounds. I only eat sea food for meat, mostly salmon and tuna. I don't smoke or drink, but I also am not getting much excerise. My Mother does take medication for high cholesterol. Her Father died of a heart attack at age 75.

So my plan is to study, excersise and change my diet. I already cut out the large quantity of coffee cream I was consuming.

Can anyone recommend good books for me to read ? I would rather change my behavior than to take medication, but if that doesn't work I suppose I could try some magic pills.

Thanks for any help. This is a great site !

-helen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User
    Re: New to high cholesterol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hjg0989
    Hi All,

I just got a letter from my doctor asking me to make another appointment to discuss the results of my blood work. She said my cholesterol is really high. The numbers are:

Cholesterol 293
    Triglycerides 105
    HDL 85
    LDL 187

Well, I've done some quick reading and they do seem to be high. I am a 47 year old female. 5'3" 120 pounds. I only eat sea food for meat, mostly salmon and tuna. I don't smoke or drink, but I also am not getting much excerise. My Mother does take medication for high cholesterol. Her Father died of a heart attack at age 75.

So my plan is to study, excersise and change my diet. I already cut out the large quantity of coffee cream I was consuming.

Can anyone recommend good books for me to read ? I would rather change my behavior than to take medication, but if that doesn't work I suppose I could try some magic pills.

Thanks for any help. This is a great site !

-helen
    Your #'s are not that bad, given the high HDL...and ratio Total/HDL of 3.5 (anything lower than 4 is good). BUT>>>you have a FAMILY HISTORY that's NEGATIVE. Given that fact, your goal should be LDL BELOW 100. If you can accomplish that with diet /exercise..fine. If not, use a statin...I do myself with NO problems. CRESTOR would be my first choice.

Old 10-16-2004, 06:21 AM   #3
    ty123
    Inactive

ty123 HB User

Cholesterol 293
    Triglycerides 105
    HDL 85
    LDL 187

Your HDL number, "the good cholesterol" is so high, that you may have no problem even if you do nothing at all. However, a lower LDL number is advisable and you probably shouldn't need to resort to statins.

Reduce your intake of saturated fat and your LDL rate will come down. ESPECIALLY eliminate any trans fat, those are products that have the words hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fat in them. Your HDL level may come down a bit, but you should find your LDL coming down _much_ faster.

Your high HDL means that you have a very robust RCT (Reverse Cholesterol Transport) mechanism. That means you've got a lot of little guys taking out all of that LDL, so your high cholesterol level isn't telling the whole story. Nevertheless if you can lower that LDL without significantly lowering your HDL you'll be sitting in tall cotton.

Get your HDL to cholesterol ratio down under 3.2, and your HDL to LDL ratio to about 1.9 and you should be in very good shape even if your cholesterol remains above 200.

You're already at 3.4 and 2.2 respectively, so its hard to believe that some judicious diet changes won't get you to a good position without drugs.

Your doctor is right in general that your level at 293 is too high, and it would be better to be closer to 200 or below. However, to contrast, my last cholesterol check was:

LDL 113
    HDL 34
    TRIG 157

I'd trade YOUR reading for mine ANY DAY.

Old 10-16-2004, 06:24 AM   #4
    phil58
    Inactive

phil58 HB Userphil58 HB User

Protein Power Life Plan by Drs Eades. Excellent reference book.

Old 10-16-2004, 07:27 AM   #5
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

ty123,

You said that you would trade Helen's numbers for yours any day. Well, I guess that all depends on how you interpret those numbers. As for myself, and no doubt many others, I feel that ratios are very important. Ratios are indicative of a healthy balance of blood lipids. Ideally, the TC/HDL ratio should be 4.0 or less. The LDL/HDL ratio should be 2.5 or less, and the trig/HDL ratio ideally should be close to 1.0 or less. Now, with that in mind, let's compare yours with Helens:

ty123

TC/HDL 5.2
    LDL/HDL 3.3
    Trig/HDL 4.6

Helen

TC/HDL 3.45
    LDL/HDL 2.2
    Trig/HDL 1.2

Old 10-16-2004, 08:44 AM   #6
    ty123
    Inactive

ty123 HB User

Arizona said, "Now, with that in mind, let's compare yours with Helens:"

I could have sworn I made the same point.

Old 10-16-2004, 08:53 AM   #7
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

My point is that in terms of overall balance, Helen's profile is better.

Old 10-16-2004, 09:57 AM   #8
    ty123
    Inactive

ty123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
    My point is that in terms of overall balance, Helen's profile is better.
    That was my point too, which is why I said I'd trade my readings for hers.

Old 10-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #9
    JacquelineL
    Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

I was never able to reduce my cholesterol much by reducing fats in my diet. When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I went on a low carb diet and my cholesterol dropped a great deal. According to Dr Berstein (Dr Berstein's Diabetes Solution), the best way to lower cholesterol is to cut the carbs in your diet. Eliminating fats is not going to have nearly as much effect.

Old 10-16-2004, 10:57 AM   #10
    ty123
    Inactive

ty123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JacquelineL
    I was never able to reduce my cholesterol much by reducing fats in my diet. When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I went on a low carb diet and my cholesterol dropped a great deal. According to Dr Berstein (Dr Berstein's Diabetes Solution), the best way to lower cholesterol is to cut the carbs in your diet. Eliminating fats is not going to have nearly as much effect.
    You may have not reduced your fat intake enough, or in the right way, you may also have eaten many simple carbs that accentuated your triglyerides.

I reduced my cholesterol level by more than 40% with a low fat diet, and I did so in spite of having Metabolic Syndrome and FH.

The argument: "it didn't work for me, so science is bunk" doesn't hold water.

Last edited by ty123; 10-16-2004 at 11:20 AM.

Old 10-16-2004, 11:36 AM   #11
    ZippyDawg

ZippyDawg HB User

When I was foolishly following the AHA "Heart Healthy" diet I ate only complex carbohydrates and limited the fat in my diet to no more then 10%-15% of calories. I gained weight, my TC was over 250, my HDL was dangerously low and my triglycerides were over 600.

If you are taking statins your reduction in cholesterol/lipid levels don't mean much in relation to your intake of dietary fat. For most people dietary fat has a minimal impact on serum cholesterol levels. You can't compare a high fat diet to low fat diet if you are taking statins.

Old 10-16-2004, 12:28 PM   #12
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Sorry about the misunderstanding, ty123. When you initially said "I'll trade your readings for mine", it sounded almost as if you would be willing to trade her numbers for yours. When you later said you'd be willing to "trade my readings for yours", well, then it becomes much more clear. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Old 10-16-2004, 01:28 PM   #13
    ty123
    Inactive

ty123 HB User

zippydawg said, "If you are taking statins your reduction in cholesterol/lipid levels don't mean much in relation to your intake of dietary fat."

That's just plain wrong. There is a proven relationship between saturated fat and LDL levels. Statins impede cholesterol production, but they don't shut it down. When you provide saturated fat to the liver it will produce more LDL.

My original point about trading readings with the originator of this thread was a recognition of the fact that while a sub 200 TC is a good idea for most people, it is plain that higher readings can in certain situations be superior. I still think that for most people a sub 150 TC is best, but those with very high HDL readings in particular are in their own special club.

Last edited by ty123; 10-16-2004 at 01:38 PM.

Old 10-16-2004, 07:43 PM   #14
    heart44
    Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hjg0989
    Oh well, I found out I had a brain anuerysm about 3 years ago, so this news isn't so bad. I had an endovascular procedure to deal with the anuerysm and everything seems to have turned out fine. -helen
    Helen,

Since you mentioned a brain aneurysm, which can be caused by any of these situations;
    - congenital malformation (birth defect) of a blood vessel
    - high blood pressure which damages the blood vessels
    - arteriosclerosis (build-up of fatty deposits in the arteries)
    - head trauma
    Work closely with your doctor, but research statins thoroughly before you choose that option. Statins should NOT be the 1st line of defense to resolve elevated cholesterol. Since your HDL is so good, statins could lower your good as well as bad cholesterol, which really doesn't make good sense.
    And Crestor would be my last choice of statins. Baycol is off the market [1991] due to serious side effects and over 100 deaths and there is a request for recall of Crestor [Public Citizen] March, 2004.

Frankie

Old 10-17-2004, 08:49 AM   #15
    hunter44
    Inactive

hunter44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ty123
    zippydawg said, "If you are taking statins your reduction in cholesterol/lipid levels don't mean much in relation to your intake of dietary fat."

That's just plain wrong. There is a proven relationship between saturated fat and LDL levels. Statins impede cholesterol production, but they don't shut it down. When you provide saturated fat to the liver it will produce more LDL.

My original point about trading readings with the originator of this thread was a recognition of the fact that while a sub 200 TC is a good idea for most people, it is plain that higher readings can in certain situations be superior. I still think that for most people a sub 150 TC is best, but those with very high HDL readings in particular are in their own special club.
    ty123 - The proven relationship between saturated fat intake and LDL is that it increases the subtype "a" LDL and HDL. Your general statement is misleading.
    http://www.enc-online.org/ncu1503.htm#results

Closed Thread