It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Brown rice diet?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
    Regular Guy
    (male)

Regular Guy HB User
    Brown rice diet?

Can anyone explian to me why brown rice os supposed to be better for you than regular white rice. I know that Brown rice is a complex carb and doesnt get broken down by your body the same way, but I was looking for a bit more "technical" answer. I am eating more brown rice in an attempt to eat healthier and cut my cholesterol a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2004, 05:43 PM   #2
    ZippyDawg

ZippyDawg HB User
    Re: Brown rice diet?

I used to eat brown rice because I liked the texture and nutty taste better then white rice. Brown rice has more fiber then white rice but it is not a high fiber food. Unfortunately there is not much difference between white or brown rice from a glycemic index or glycemic load standpoint. They will both raise blood sugar as fast or faster then table sugar (sucrose).

A cup of plain cooked rice is over 200 calories so it is also a high calorie food. There is very little nutrition in either white or brown rice.

Old 10-26-2004, 05:27 AM   #3
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Regular guy,

I, like probably 3 billion people on the planet, like my rice WHITE. Brown rice seems to be a fad food in the West because it LOOKS healthier. The MUCH longer cooking time doesn't endear me to it either.

Somebody should tell the poor demented BILLIONS that they've been surviving and thriving on a food with no nutritional value. I'm sure they'd find that amazing.

Old 10-26-2004, 07:23 AM   #4
    ZippyDawg

ZippyDawg HB User

Brown rice is a fad? If you're going to waste 200-300 (or more) calories on rice at least make it brown rice for the fiber and added nutritional value.

"The process that produces brown rice removes only the outermost layer, the hull, of the rice kernel and is the least damaging to its nutritional value. The complete milling and polishing that converts brown rice into white rice destroys 67% of the vitamin B3, 80% of the vitamin B1, 90% of the vitamin B6, half of the manganese, half of the phosphorus, 60% of the iron, and all of the dietary fiber and essential fatty acids. Fully milled and polished white rice is required to be “enriched” with vitamins B1, B3 and iron."

Those billions of people you talk about that subsist on rice:

1. Do not eat the varieties of rice that we eat in U.S.

2. They usually cook it with lard and eat it with chicken, pork, fish, fermented bean curd and vegtables.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:22 AM   #5
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

There are lots of differences. For example, brown rice is a whole grain food. I think most people by now know the benefits of eating whole grains.

ZippyDawg is correct. Milling is the process that creates the difference between brown and white rice. The variety of rice may be identical, but milling removes the husk from the grain and turns the brown rice to white.

By removing the outer layer, which is also known as the bran layer, milling alters the nutritional value of the rice. It is in this bran layer where most of the nutrients are stored. The white rice that most of us eat comprises of mostly carbohydrates, with the nutrients stripped off in the milling process. Brown rice has substantially more vitamins and minerals than white, including folate.

Even further, a cup of brown rice will give nearly 3.5 g of fiber, while an equal amount of white rice not even 1 g. The oils that are present in the bran (of the brown rice) also help to lower the risks of heart disease by decreasing the levels of serum cholesterol in our bodies.

However, while brown rice contains more fiber and nutrients than white, white rice isn't TOTALLY deficient of nutrients either. It contains Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium and a few other minerals. So while brown rice is technically better for you (nutrition-wise) than white rice, even with the white rice you're not eating a bowl of nothing.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:05 AM   #6
    Regular Guy
    (male)

Regular Guy HB User

Wow, thank you all for the info! I suspect I am correct in assuming that brown rice and chicken are essentially a heathy alterantive to my usually crapola diet. As a father of two young girls I am really starting to heed my doctors advice about my cholesterol levels and such. My last test was 220 total with a real low "good" choleserol and real high (I think 200+) trigs. Since starting to eat a "healthier" diet which consist of lots of brown rice, chicken, veggie burgers and veggie chicken patties, whole wheat pitas, and cutting WAY down on my cheese, which I REALLY REALLY love, I have lost about 15 pounds and I think I feel a "little" better. I also eat more oatmeal for a snacks and try to eat at least one whole fruit/veggie a day, like an apple, pear, or salad. How long do you all think I should wait before a re-test? Im planning on calling my doc to schedule it soon, its been about 3 months.

EDIT-- I think the high Trigs was a fluke becuase they have never been above 50 or 60 before. I may have drank some alcohol a day or so before the test.

Last edited by Regular Guy; 10-26-2004 at 10:06 AM.

Old 10-26-2004, 11:44 AM   #7
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

I usually get mine tested about every 3-4 months. If it's been 3 months for you, you might want to go ahead and have it tested again

You sound like you're eating a very healthy diet. A diet high in fiber and low in fat should correct those bad cholesterol levels.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:13 AM   #8
    ZippyDawg

ZippyDawg HB User

I would not consider brown rice as a "healthy" food. It contains 83% sugar molecules and only small amounts of protein and fiber. It has a higher glycemic index and glycemic load then table sugar. There are much better alternatives to starchy grains if you are interested in reducing/eliminating sugar laden calories from your diet.

A stir fry of sesame seed oil, soy sauce, and some combination of snow pea pods, peppers, string beans, garlic, onions, broccoli, broccoli rabe, cauliflower, bok choy, asparagus, celery, zucchini etc. with shrimp, chicken, beef or pork will provide more nutrition and less then 25% of the sugar and fewer calories then what is contained in only 1 cup of plain brown rice.

Last edited by ZippyDawg; 10-27-2004 at 05:17 AM.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:01 AM   #9
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

No, but you could eat worse things.

I personally meant that if you're going to eat rice at all (I avoid it most of the time myself) brown rice is better than white. It's the lesser of the two evils, so to speak.

I don't eat much rice OR pasta because of the effect it has on my blood sugar. If I eat too much of either, I'm ready to pass out an hour later. You don't have to be diabetic for it to mess with ya

Last edited by LV40; 10-27-2004 at 07:02 AM.

Old 10-27-2004, 09:59 AM   #10
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Anyone taking the SMALLEST multivitamin is getting enough thiamine and riboflavin, niacin to avoid the deficiency diseases caused by a diet of EXCLUSIVELY white rice.

Any assumption that any additional significant nutritional values can be gained by leaving the bran on rice is not grounded in fact but in faddish-fancy.

Again, BILLIONS of people thrive on a diet that consists primarily of WHITE rice. It is the most eaten food on Earth. The unmilled brown rice is fed to the pigs!

Anyone who doubts the above should avail himself of the USDA charts and compare the nutritional aspects of both.

Last edited by zip2play; 10-27-2004 at 10:03 AM.

Closed Thread