It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• What Causes A Salty Taste In Mouth

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
    jeankb

jeankb HB User
    What Causes A Salty Taste In Mouth

My husband complains of a salty taste in his mouth since taking cholesteral lowering drugs - has anyone else had this? he was also recently diagnosed with diabetes but it is under control.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2004, 04:49 PM   #2
    delrae4753
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

delrae4753 HB User
    Re: What Causes A Salty Taste In Mouth

check the ingrediaants perhaps it has a lot of sodium i know that there are mecds that do contain sodium maybe he is just tasting the salt

Old 10-26-2004, 05:11 PM   #3
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Maybe his carbs are too low? Just chiming in with a guess. I've heard that people who don't eat enough carbs can get a nasty taste in their mouth.

Old 10-26-2004, 05:15 PM   #4
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I am diabetic and i used to get a metallic taste in my mouth when i was on a hbp med. I forget which one it was since i took so many.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:00 PM   #5
    traveler47

traveler47 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeankb
    My husband complains of a salty taste in his mouth since taking cholesteral lowering drugs - has anyone else had this? he was also recently diagnosed with diabetes but it is under control.
    From Dr Douglas Hoffman:
    "The chemical composition of saliva may change in response to hydration. (In other words, are you drinking enough liquids?) If you are chronically dehydrated, you may have saltier saliva. Take a close look at what you drink. Some folks drink only caffeinated beverages and alcoholic beverages. Caffeine is a diuretic -- it makes you urinate -- so a steady diet of coffee, tea and caffeinated soft drinks will leach water from your body. Alcohol is even worse in this regard.
    The salinity (salt content) of saliva may also change in response to medications and salivary gland disease. A number of noninfectious and infectious diseases can afflict the salivary glands; examples of each, respectively, are Sjogren's disease and bacterial sialadenitis.

Postnasal drainage can often have an odor and a taste. Bacterial sinusitis, for example, can cause bad breath and a foul taste in one's mouth. I would not be too surprised if a patient reported this taste as "salty." Postnasal drainage secondary to nasal allergy (allergic rhinitis) might also be salty. Usually folks with postnasal drainage are aware of their condition. If you are not "full of mucus," then this is an unlikely explanation for your problem.

Tears are very salty. The tear ducts drain into the nasal cavity; once tears enter the nasal cavity, they drain down the back of the throat. (People constantly produce tears, by the way; you don't have to cry to have tears!) This is really unlikely, but perhaps you are overproducing tears.

Here's one more really unlikely possibility: Since sensation ultimately resides in the brain, the problem could be upstairs. Migraine, epilepsy and brain tumor all come to mind, but each of these would be exceptionally rare explanations for your problem.

Should you see a doctor? If your symptoms persist or worsen, or if your symptoms appear to be associated with other unusual symptoms, then YES, you should see a doctor."
    End of info from Dr Hoffman

Closed Thread