It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• no more cholesterol pills

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2004, 04:20 AM   #1
    cloverberry

cloverberry HB User
    Angry no more cholesterol pills

I've taken 10 & 20 mgs of Zocor and I got terrible pains in my kidneys. When I told the doctor she prescribed Zetia tabs. I took for three days and my kidneys hurt for a month afterwards. I have to go to the doctor on Wed. and I'm not going through it again. I'd rather go earlier from high cholesterol than spend the rest of my life in pain. Sorry. Just venting.

Last edited by cloverberry; 11-01-2004 at 04:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2004, 05:44 AM   #2
    wyod501
    (male)

wyod501 HB User
    Re: no more cholesterol pills

I am with you. Lipitor nearly killed me, literally. The old saying of "once bitten, twice shy!"

Old 11-01-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
    heart44
    Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloverberry
    I'd rather go earlier from high cholesterol than spend the rest of my life in pain.
    Ditto.... have your doctor check your homocysteine levels and tell him/her to take a flying leap re: elevated cholesterol. Even slightly elevated homocysteine is more of a problem than elevated cholesterol. And homocysteine can be corrected with B vitamins...... a lot cheaper and no pain from statins. Read the book "Lipitor - Thief of Memory and the misguided war on cholsterol" by Dr Duane Graveline. Quite an eye-opener.

Last edited by heart44; 11-01-2004 at 12:55 PM.

Old 11-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
    Kime
    (female)

Kime HB User

And don't forget that vitamin B3 (niacin) can also help with cholesterol problems. Once your body adjusts to taking it the flush is so slight that it isn't a problem.

Old 11-07-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I've taken lipitor, zetia and has prescription for pravachol. i think im allergic to statins or just can't tolerate them. Lipitor caused me liver problems. I now take arthichoke extract, heart wise o.j. and take control spread. I've gone from 337 to 298. Hopefully it will be lower, i took a new test 2 wks ago..pending results. Also, i recently stopped the thiazide bp med.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:59 PM   #6
    don444
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

I have tried Lipitor, Pravachol, Crestor, and Tricor. I have had severe problems with all of them. I am not talking about minor pain, I mean leg pain severe enough to keep me from walking or trying to sleep. Pain that continues all day without relief. Tricor gave me diarrhea that keep me up most of the night. I would much rather have a good quality of life for a shorter period than suffer for a few more years. For me, it just isn’t worth it.
    BTW, in the book, “How to Protect Your Heart From Your Doctor”, H.H. Wayne, MD., F.A.C.C., there is a chapter entitled “The Cholesterol Deception.” It makes for some interesting reading!

Old 11-10-2004, 01:10 PM   #7
    cokids

cokids HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloverberry
    I've taken 10 & 20 mgs of Zocor and I got terrible pains in my kidneys. When I told the doctor she prescribed Zetia tabs. I took for three days and my kidneys hurt for a month afterwards. I have to go to the doctor on Wed. and I'm not going through it again. I'd rather go earlier from high cholesterol than spend the rest of my life in pain. Sorry. Just venting.
    I find it interesting that the Zetia had the same effect. Perhaps someone can explain this as I understand that it works differently from statin drugs. I am correct that it is NOT a statin? Right?

I was perscribed Zetia, but have not filled the perscription. I'm doing diet and weight loss trying to get my cholesterol down. So far, so good. After about 15 lb. loss, I was almost within recommended guidelines. I still have another 20 or so lbs to lose and am hoping that continued weight loss will do the trick.

Oh, forgot to mention that I'm doing South Beach Diet which is a low simple carb diet. You CAN eat carbs on it, but they must be complex carbs. It's a very healthy diet....way of life. It really isn't a diet per se, but a different way of eating that leaves out all the empty calories that so many of us are addicted to! I've come to think of white bread and desserts as 'poison.' They are for ME!

Still I'd like to know more about Zetia just in case, this doesn't work!

Thanks!
    Beth

Last edited by cokids; 11-10-2004 at 01:12 PM.

Old 11-10-2004, 04:21 PM   #8
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Beth why not ask your dr for 2 wk or 1 month samples, that's how i got zetia. i took them for 3 days and immediately my back started hurting, then my kidney started a few days later. Yes you are correct zetia is not a statin, it is not suppose to work from the liver but the stomach, at least that's what my dr told me when he gave me the pills. I even tried to half the dose and still got back pain. i try to walk every day at least 3.5 miles a day, but with zetia and lipitor it was almost imposssible.

Old 11-12-2004, 06:49 PM   #9
    heart44
    Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donsabi
    I have tried Lipitor, Pravachol, Crestor, and Tricor. I have had severe problems with all of them.

BTW, in the book, “How to Protect Your Heart From Your Doctor”, H.H. Wayne, MD., F.A.C.C., there is a chapter entitled “The Cholesterol Deception.” It makes for some interesting reading!
    When someone has a reaction to one statin, and tries another, the reaction can be more severe, so it's not surprising that after trying 4, you were hardly able to walk. But, I'm sure your doctor did not advise you of that fact.

Other excellent reading material:
    Book: "Lipitor - Thief of Memory and the misguided war on Cholesterol", by Dr Duane Graveline.
    Article: "The Benefits of High Cholesterol" by Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD.

Old 11-14-2004, 04:22 PM   #10
    Calli2525

Calli2525 HB User

My cholesterol is very high....330. The doctor wanted to put me on meds but I wanted to try diet first. I gave up my many miniature hershey bars each day and also added oatmeal at breakfast. In 30 days I brought my cholesterol down to 291. I have a long way to go but am afraid to go on statins.

Old 11-14-2004, 06:09 PM   #11
    heart44
    Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Calli2525
    My cholesterol is very high....330. I have a long way to go but am afraid to go on statins.
    This is a duplicate post in reply to: I lowered my cholestrol 50 points without Lipitor.

I took RYR, just one 600mg capsule lowered my LDL from 162 to 104 when my cholesterol was re-checked 6 months later. I was loosing weight at the same time, but did not omit any food groups, just ate less.

RYR contains lovastatin, the same ingredient that's in Meva_cor.

And don't stop eating chocolate! Especially dark chocolate. Chocolate containing cocoa powder, contains oils similar to olive oil.

OBTW..... your trig's and HDL are awesome. Most would love to have those stats.

Closed Thread