It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• I lowered my cholestrol 50 points without Lipitor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2004, 03:28 PM   #1
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
    I lowered my cholestrol 50 points without Lipitor

My liver overproduces cholestrol. If I maintain a low fat diet, not eating any pork, beef, eggs or any fried foods, my count was still high. Between 245 and 260. With Lipitor, Lescol or Pravachol I brought it down to 220. I could not tell if the statin drugs were causing my muscle pain or the Fibro. I have Fibromyalgia also. So I stopped taking statins to see if the muscle pain goes away. I bought HGH releasers to see if that helps my chronic pain. I bought the cheapest ones on the internet. One of the benifits is, it's suppose to also lower cholestrol. I bought Flax Seed Oil, Fish Oil and Cholest-Off. A natural cholestrol lowering pill that is made of plant sterols. The same stuff that is in the new margarines. I've been doing this for eight months or so. In June I had a blood test and my cholestrol was 189. I thought it had to be a mistake in the lab. Well I had another test this week and although it went up to 212, that is still a great improvement from 250. I was out of the HGH for a month or so and I wasn't taking the Cholest-Off every day. So maybe that is why it went up. The Good HDL or LDL was up and the Bad down. I don't know which one of these supplements I've been taking lowered my reading or if it is a combination or the the four, but something worked for me other that Lipitor. I am going to add Red Yeast Rice to the mix and see what happens with my next test. So there is hope for us people that can't take statin drugs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2004, 05:22 PM   #2
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User
    Re: I lowered my cholestrol 50 points without Lipitor

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rstarre
    My liver overproduces cholestrol. If I maintain a low fat diet, not eating any pork, beef, eggs or any fried foods, my count was still high. Between 245 and 260. With Lipitor, Lescol or Pravachol I brought it down to 220. .
    If you took Lipitor, your TOTAL should have easily come down well below 200..190 at least. You grouped Lipitor with Lescol and Pravachol, which are FAR less potent than Lipitor.

Old 11-02-2004, 08:07 PM   #3
    heart44
    Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
    If I maintain a low fat diet, not eating any pork, beef, eggs or any fried foods, my count was still high.
    When we deprive our bodies of fat and cholesterol, our bodies compensate by making the cholesterol it needs. The brain needs cholesterol for memory and learning. So if you've experienced short term memory loss recently, statins are to blame. Just do a search on "statin side effect"..... the response is overwhelming.

Quote:
    I could not tell if the statin drugs were causing my muscle pain or the Fibro. I have Fibromyalgia also.
    Statin side effects definitely include muscle aches and pains. That's just the tip of the iceburg. Glad you stopped statins.

Quote:
    I bought Flax Seed Oil, Fish Oil and Cholest-Off [A natural cholesterol lowering pill that is made of plant sterols].
    Both Flax and Fish Oils are high in Omega 3 EFA's [essential fatty acids]. Benefits of Omega 3's:
    - lowers cholesterol and triglyceride levels
    - stabilizes irregular heart beat (arrhythmia)
    - reduces blood pressure

Quote:
    I am going to add Red Yeast Rice to the mix and see what happens with my next test.
    I took one 600mg capsule of RYR for 6 months. I also lost 30 lbs during that time period. My LDL dropped from 162 to 90. My trig's and HDL stayed the same. Trig's are always right around 100 and HDL around 60.

Even though RYR is a natural statin, it is still a statin and can cause all the same side effects as prescription statins.

If you decide to take RYR, you should take Coenzyme Q10 [CoQ10] at the same time; at least 50mg to 100mg. Any type of statin depletes your own CoQ10. CoQ10 is an essential enzyme that is found in every cell in the body.

Quote:
    So there is hope for us people that can't take statin drugs.
    DEFINITELY

Old 11-02-2004, 08:33 PM   #4
    sundevil

sundevil HB User

After taking ryr with coq10 for 4 weeks my cholesterol dropped from 246 to 162 and triglycerides from 840 to 216.

Ryr is supposed to have the same side effects as prescription statins, but everyone I know who takes ryr has had no problems. Also have seen that mentioned on many internet articles about ryr. I plan to take periodic blood tests though to make sure of my levels.

Old 11-02-2004, 08:37 PM   #5
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rahod
    If you took Lipitor, your TOTAL should have easily come down well below 200..190 at least. You grouped Lipitor with Lescol and Pravachol, which are FAR less potent than Lipitor.

I did not take all three at the same time. I meant I tried them all at different times. I only took 20 mg because any more I couldn't handle. I also was on Baycol for 6 months.

Old 11-02-2004, 09:06 PM   #6
    heart44
    Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
    I did not take all three at the same time. I meant I tried them all at different times. I only took 20 mg because any more I couldn't handle. I also was on Baycol for 6 months.
    Do you know that Baycol caused over 100 deaths and there are approx. 11,000 serious side effect lawsuits pending &/or settled? It's off the market, but what a legacy.

When someone has side effects to one statin, they will most likely have side effects to other statins and sometimes the adverse reaction is more severe.

Old 11-14-2004, 04:33 PM   #7
    Calli2525

Calli2525 HB User

My total cholesterol is 291. HDL is 77, triglycerides 55 and LDL 203. How do I bring down the LDL without bringing down my HDL and triglycerides? Don't understand how LDL is so high as my parents say they have never had high cholesterol and I don't eat fast food and I also exercise four days a week. I have started eating oatmeal and also flaxseeds and have given up chocolate. (a huge vice for me!) Since red yeast rice seems to be helping others I will add that to my diet also. Does anyone have any other ideas that might help? Doctor wants me to go on meds, but would like to try diet first.

Old 11-14-2004, 06:00 PM   #8
    heart44
    Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Calli2525
    My total cholesterol is 291. HDL is 77, triglycerides 55 and LDL 203. How do I bring down the LDL without bringing down my HDL and triglycerides? Since red yeast rice seems to be helping others I will add that to my diet also. Does anyone have any other ideas that might help? Doctor wants me to go on meds, but would like to try diet first.
    I took RYR, just one 600mg capsule lowered my LDL from 162 to 104 when my cholesterol was re-checked 6 months later. I was loosing weight at the same time, but did not omit any food groups, just ate less.

RYR contains lovastatin, the same ingredient that's in Meva_cor.

And don't stop eating chocolate! Especially dark chocolate. Chocolate containing cocoa powder, contains oils similar to olive oil.

OBTW..... your trig's and HDL are awesome. Most would love to have those stats.

Old 11-18-2004, 03:33 PM   #9
    Calli2525

Calli2525 HB User

Thanks for your post. I will try RYR. My doctor never mentioned how good my trigs and HDL were. Just that my LDL needed to come down. I have heard that walnuts and orange juice are both helpful in bringing LDL down without changing trigs and HDL too much so have started using more of both.

Closed Thread