It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Well, I tried everything, now I've gotta go back on Statins...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
    Miriam7

Miriam7 HB User
    Well, I tried everything, now I've gotta go back on Statins...

I've tried everything...in large quantities for a couple of years now. Fish oil, vitamins, benecol margarine, policosanol, etc etc. Also did the low carb diet (not severe Atkins...couldn't take that, but low carb) for 6 months. Every 6 months my numbers got worse. Got my latest numbers today...

TC 273
    HDL 44
    LDL 166
    Trigs 316

So, I'm an (almost) 41 year old female...overweight by about 40 pounds...but it used to be overweight by 60-70 pounds...losing weight hasn't worked, I walk 30-45 minutes a day, do pilates...NOTHING WORKS.

So, doc wrote me a prescription for Lipitor 20 mg today. I've been on Crestor, Zocor, Pre****l, Lopid, some kind of powder drug (can't remember name) and something else...maybe Zetia??? in the past...Lipitor was the one that I tolerated best. All of the statins seem to give me muscle pain in the legs after 6 months or so...but if my memory is serving me correctly, Lipitor was the least offensive of the bunch. As far as I remember, none of them showed up badly in my labs (liver enzymes).

I'm just so frustrated...both my mom and dad (he passed away last month) had very high cholesterol, so my doc said that part of my problem is family...but still.

Oh well, back on the statin wagon again.

The following user gives a hug of support to Miriam7:
    Eagle (04-07-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2004, 08:09 PM   #2
    ZippyDawg

ZippyDawg HB User
    Re: Well, I tried everything, now I've gotta go back on Statins...

If you're overweight you really need get the pounds off! For an experiment get two twenty pound dumb bells and carry them around for an hour. That's the extra weight you're lugging around with you 24/7. Fat contributes to abnormal cholesterol/lipid levels and produce substances which contribute to insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.

I had a discussion the other day with my doctor and he feels based on his experience treating thousands of patients that the two most important things you can do to maintain good health, reduce your risk of heart disease, diabetes and other diseases is:

1. Lose weight and get down to your ideal weight and maintain it

2. Exercise everyday for an hour (preferably cardio). Split it up into two or three sessions if you can't do it all at once.

I know losing weight, keeping it off and building lean muscle mass is difficult but you can do it IF you want to.

Last edited by ZippyDawg; 11-09-2004 at 08:10 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZippyDawg For This Useful Post:
    Eagle (04-07-2011)
    Old 11-09-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
    Miriam7

Miriam7 HB User

Yes, you do give good advice, I'm sure that if I got down (and maintained) my ideal weight, my numbers would be better.

I'll keep trying, as I posted earlier, I have lost a lot of weight, it's a slow process, but my doc says that losing it slowly (1 pound per week or so) is the best.

Thanks for your post!

Old 11-09-2004, 09:00 PM   #4
    cookie51
    Veteran
    (female)

cookie51 HB User

Hi,
    Just a quick note, I also take lipitor for my numbers where very high and it brought them down by almost half, I dont like taking them but I am more afraid of what will happen if I dont. I wish you the best of luck.
    cookie

Old 11-10-2004, 08:49 AM   #5
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Miriam7, my endo told me the same thing. He suggested I keep up with my daily walks and not to lose weight too fast (about 2 lbs a wk). I have tried lipitor for two or three yrs at 40mgs, 20mgs and 10mgs. zetia for about yr, and was prescribed pravachol but never filled the prescription.

Right now im taking artichoke extract, cranberry pills, fish oil, take control spread and minute maid o.j. to reduce cholesterol. Lipitor put me in the hospital, but after i get my results from the lab, i might have to take my remaining lipitor if my ##s are still high.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:32 AM   #6
    sallyko

sallyko HB User

I think you need to lose weight, exercise more and eat very healthy, avoid junk food. Here is some info about statins.

Pharmaceutical companies have concocted a variety of drugs collectively known as “statin drugs,” the most popular being lovastatin, pravastatin, simvastatin, and fluvastatin and fibrates. Their effect is one-dimensional; lower cholesterol levels by decreasing the body’s ability to synthesize
    it. Even worse, their use has been linked to undesirable side effects such as stomach, liver, and lung tumors in mice (reference). Lovastatin reduces levels of coenzyme Q10 and L-carnitine, two very important molecules involved in energy production and fat metabolism (Mortensen et al. 1997). Forty-five hyper-cholesterolemic patients were randomized in a double-blind trial were taken either lovastatin (20-80 mg/day) or pravastatin (10-40 mg/day) over a period of 18 weeks (Mortensen et al. 1997). Serum levels of coenzyme Q10 were measured parallel to the levels of cholesterol at baseline on placebo and diet and during active treatment. A dose-related significant decline of the total serum level of coenzyme Q10 was found in the pravastatin group In another study forty-seven patients were treated with 10 or 20 mg of Simvastatin per day for 14 weeks. As expected, total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol concentrations decreased considerably, but unfortunately, the decline in circulating vitamin E and coenzyme Q10 concentrations were also documented. The five hospitalized patients, 43-72 years old, revealed increased cardiac disease from lovastatin, which was life threatening for patients having class IV cardiomyopathy before lovastatin or after taking lovastatin (Folkers et al. (1990). Lovastatin was shown in some patients develop a secondary deficiency in muscle carnitine. Clinically, this may
    manifest as a myalgia/myositis. Myalgia refers to generalized muscle pain, may
    accompany myositis, which is inflammation of the muscles, either in response to an immune system disorder refers to inflammation of the muscles. Treatment with lovastatin significantly alters the carnitine. The use of statins or statins containing products such as Meniscus purpureus (known as “red rice yeast”) in treatment of high cholesterol could lead to a secondary deficiency in carnitine, which may manifest clinically as a myalgia/myositis-a side effect that is occasionally seen with this class of drugs.

Last edited by sallyko; 11-10-2004 at 09:34 AM.

Old 11-10-2004, 01:13 PM   #7
    susieq52

susieq52 HB User

I started out taking 10 mgs of Zocor with no problem, then the doctor put me on 20 mgs and my lower back started hurting bad. Then she put me on Zetia tabs. I took it for 3 day and my back hurt for a month after that so I went back to the 10 mgs Zocor. If I have problems with that I won't take anything again, I would rather have high cholesterol than go through pain for the rest of my life. I know it has a lot to do with family history but my grandmother never had her cholesterol checked and she lived to be 95. I also read that Statins put stress on your kidneys but my doctor says it's not true

Old 11-10-2004, 08:28 PM   #8
    heart44
    Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by susieq52
    I also read that Statins put stress on your kidneys but my doctor says it's not true
    Statins don't just put stress on the kidneys; statins put stress on the entire body. Doctors learn everything they know about statins from drug distributors. I mean, how one sided is that.
    And even with all the awareness of how statins deplete CoQ10, doctors are not telling their patients to take this essential supplement.

I know that many on this board feel that they have to comply with their doctors wishes to lower their cholesterol, but you need to ask youself why millions of people worldwide have high cholesterol? Granted our diets have changed considerably, but statins are not the answer.

We are constantly told by the medical community that statins are well tolerated. I read hundreds of emails every week that tell me otherwise.

Statins are making millions of people very ill. The damage happens slowly in some and very quickly in others. Quick is a blessing, because those people usually stop taking statins. Those that don't appear to have side effects are the ones at most risk. It may take years for the side effects to surface and then, sometimes it's too late. The damage is already done.

There are many dedicated doctors that are finally starting to challenge the drug companies and their claims. And they are not all quacks.

I have watched my husband decline steadily over the past 8 years from statins, and I just don't have much faith in the medical community and their choice of treating heart disease.

Statins are not the magic pill that is the answer to heart disease.

Old 11-11-2004, 06:35 AM   #9
    sallyko

sallyko HB User

I don't wanna insult the doctors, my sisters are doctors, their husbands are doctors, but I don't understand why some doctors do that harm to their patients.
    I get mad every time when I see the name of the drug which was approved my FDA and then it was cancelled because of the severe side effects (Vioxx, ...) .
    Then I think about chiropractic, acupuncture. The doctors don't give referrals to them because they don't have a medical degree, but if you think how many people have suffered from the medicine lately it makes me think about the medications.
    I suffered once from Depo Provera my stupid gynecologist put me on(who was a gynecologist of the year in our city).
    Then I read about Tylenol, actually about acetaminophen, the pain killer, which causes liver failure...
    I don't wanna say the medicine doesn't help at all, but when prescribing the pills or shots the doctor has to talk about the side effects and even say "No, don't take, it's not good, I wouldn't prescribe it even for my own child".
    Some people are not educated enough about the drugs and they do whatever the doctors tell them and doctors do whatever the drug companies tell them.
    I always surf Internet to find information about the side effects of the drugs I have to take. I don't take drugs when I catch cold or have pain. I took some pain medication only after delivery my baby 4 years ago. Since then I haven't taken any pills.
    But I'm on synthroid pills which bother me, but i don't know if i have a choice or not. I need to find out.

There is a book "Miracle of fasting" by Paul Bragg who died when surfing ocean at the age of 90 (if I'm not mistaken), he wasn't sick, he was very healthy. I read that in russian language , I wanna get an English version of that book. At the age of 90 his organs were like ones of the young man.

I think the high cholesterol is a result of not walking enough especially in the small towns, cities. Everybody drives. We need to walk every day, do some exercise. BY taking pills for high cholesterol you will just harm your body more, you will get other health problems due to the side effects.

Old 11-13-2004, 11:54 AM   #10
    Miriam7

Miriam7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cookie51
    Hi,
    Just a quick note, I also take lipitor for my numbers where very high and it brought them down by almost half, I dont like taking them but I am more afraid of what will happen if I dont. I wish you the best of luck.
    cookie
    Thanks for the encouragement cookie! I hope that you continue to do well on lipitor!

Old 11-13-2004, 11:56 AM   #11
    Miriam7

Miriam7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtu91952
    Miriam7, my endo told me the same thing. He suggested I keep up with my daily walks and not to lose weight too fast (about 2 lbs a wk). I have tried lipitor for two or three yrs at 40mgs, 20mgs and 10mgs. zetia for about yr, and was prescribed pravachol but never filled the prescription.

Right now im taking artichoke extract, cranberry pills, fish oil, take control spread and minute maid o.j. to reduce cholesterol. Lipitor put me in the hospital, but after i get my results from the lab, i might have to take my remaining lipitor if my ##s are still high.
    My goodness! You ended up in the hospital on Lipitor and would consider taking it again??? You are braver than me! Isn't there some other statin you can try? There seem to be a boatload of them out there now. I also tried the natural route, and maybe it would work if I got down to my ideal weight...until then I'll go back on my liptor. Good luck to you.

Old 11-13-2004, 12:00 PM   #12
    Miriam7

Miriam7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sallyko
    I think you need to lose weight, exercise more and eat very healthy, avoid junk food. Here is some info about statins.

Pharmaceutical companies have concocted a variety of drugs collectively known as “statin drugs,” the most popular being lovastatin, pravastatin, simvastatin, and fluvastatin and fibrates. Their effect is one-dimensional; lower cholesterol levels by decreasing the body’s ability to synthesize
    it. Even worse, their use has been linked to undesirable side effects such as stomach, liver, and lung tumors in mice (reference). Lovastatin reduces levels of coenzyme Q10 and L-carnitine, two very important molecules involved in energy production and fat metabolism (Mortensen et al. 1997). Forty-five hyper-cholesterolemic patients were randomized in a double-blind trial were taken either lovastatin (20-80 mg/day) or pravastatin (10-40 mg/day) over a period of 18 weeks (Mortensen et al. 1997). Serum levels of coenzyme Q10 were measured parallel to the levels of cholesterol at baseline on placebo and diet and during active treatment. A dose-related significant decline of the total serum level of coenzyme Q10 was found in the pravastatin group In another study forty-seven patients were treated with 10 or 20 mg of Simvastatin per day for 14 weeks. As expected, total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol concentrations decreased considerably, but unfortunately, the decline in circulating vitamin E and coenzyme Q10 concentrations were also documented. The five hospitalized patients, 43-72 years old, revealed increased cardiac disease from lovastatin, which was life threatening for patients having class IV cardiomyopathy before lovastatin or after taking lovastatin (Folkers et al. (1990). Lovastatin was shown in some patients develop a secondary deficiency in muscle carnitine. Clinically, this may
    manifest as a myalgia/myositis. Myalgia refers to generalized muscle pain, may
    accompany myositis, which is inflammation of the muscles, either in response to an immune system disorder refers to inflammation of the muscles. Treatment with lovastatin significantly alters the carnitine. The use of statins or statins containing products such as Meniscus purpureus (known as “red rice yeast”) in treatment of high cholesterol could lead to a secondary deficiency in carnitine, which may manifest clinically as a myalgia/myositis-a side effect that is occasionally seen with this class of drugs.
    Thanks for the info sally, but that is waaay, waaay over my head. I'm glad to see that lipitor isn't in that list at all. I do realize that statins do have their dangers, ALL meds have their dangers. But high cholesterol has dangers too. As I said though, I thank you for your post.

Old 11-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #13
    Miriam7

Miriam7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by susieq52
    I started out taking 10 mgs of Zocor with no problem, then the doctor put me on 20 mgs and my lower back started hurting bad. Then she put me on Zetia tabs. I took it for 3 day and my back hurt for a month after that so I went back to the 10 mgs Zocor. If I have problems with that I won't take anything again, I would rather have high cholesterol than go through pain for the rest of my life. I know it has a lot to do with family history but my grandmother never had her cholesterol checked and she lived to be 95. I also read that Statins put stress on your kidneys but my doctor says it's not true
    I'm so sorry to hear that you are having such troubles...I really had a difficult time on statins as well, but must give them a try again. I wish you well.

Old 11-13-2004, 01:24 PM   #14
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Miriam7
    My goodness! You ended up in the hospital on Lipitor and would consider taking it again??? You are braver than me! Isn't there some other statin you can try? There seem to be a boatload of them out there now. I also tried the natural route, and maybe it would work if I got down to my ideal weight...until then I'll go back on my liptor. Good luck to you.
    Miriam7, yes iwould go back on lipitor for a short time just to reduce my cholesterol. You see my bp med caused my cholesterol to increase w/o my knowledge. Once i found out thiazides caused increase in cholesterol, i already had high cholesterol and was taking lipitor. You know the story, patient complain about side effects and dr give another precription for side effects. Never said STOP taking bp med and lipitor. Lipitor can weaken muscles, heart is a muscle.

Believe me if i take lipitor it would be for only a month in small dose.

Old 11-13-2004, 04:45 PM   #15
    ZippyDawg

ZippyDawg HB User

"High" cholesterol/lipid levels are not acute diseases that require immediate drug intervention nor does not mean that you will ever develop CAD/CVD in your lifetime. They are long term risk factors for the development of CAD/CVD along with being overweight, smoking, lack of exercise, trans fats, excess carbohydrates, blood glucose levels, insulin levels, homocysteine levels and C-reactive protein levels etc.

If you spend 6 months losing weight, exercising, reducing carbohydrate intake, and taking fish oil supplements etc. I don't think you will be harming yourself by not taking a statin. You should retest your levels every three months and reevaluate at that time.

Statins are long term maintenance drugs that you take for the rest of your life barring any adverse reactions. They are not drugs that you take for a month or two.

Last edited by ZippyDawg; 11-13-2004 at 04:50 PM.

Closed Thread