It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Lipitor input please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
    strikerx98
    (female)

strikerx98 HB User
    Exclamation Lipitor input please!

To those who have been here a while this will probably be like beating a dead horse... but to me (who just found this site tonight) it's a breath of fresh air to find myself in familiar company. Thank you!

Now to the question... I have been on Elavil 50mg for several years. Darvocet n100 since 2000 (after brain surgery, and I have FMS, so I'm told but a lot of people see that and think "Hypocondriac") Begand Zoloft 20mg 2 months ago and Lipitor 20mg 3 weeks ago.

Here's the problem. In the last 2 weeks I've gone from bad to worse with muscle pain and fatigue (But is it just the FMS?) my ears are ringing like crazy (new symptom that I've never had, but don't see it on the side effects list). Brain fog and feeling like I'm on codine or something. Woozie and out of it feeling. Stomach pains (just in the last few days). Lastly, I've had this planters warts or something on my hands and arms for years. They are flesh color, or were... 2 days ago I noticed they are ALL dark brown.

If you feel I'm out to lunch feel free to say so, but if this is familiar to ANYONE I sure would love to know. It was thanks to a board like this that I found about my problem that lead to brain surgery with a top nuerosurgen at UCLA.

TIA

Connie

Last edited by strikerx98; 11-29-2004 at 10:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 10:41 PM   #2
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User
    Re: Lipitor input please!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by strikerx98
    To those who have been here a while this will probably be like beating a dead horse... but to me (who just found this site tonight) it's a breath of fresh air to find myself in familiar company. Thank you!

Now to the question... I have been on Elavil 50mg for several years. Darvocet n100 since 2000 (after brain surgery, and I have FMS, so I'm told but a lot of people see that and think "Hypocondriac") Begand Zoloft 20mg 2 months ago and Lipitor 20mg 3 weeks ago.

Here's the problem. In the last 2 weeks I've gone from bad to worse with muscle pain and fatigue (But is it just the FMS?) my ears are ringing like crazy (new symptom that I've never had, but don't see it on the side effects list). Brain fog and feeling like I'm on codine or something. Woozie and out of it feeling. Stomach pains (just in the last few days). Lastly, I've had this planters warts or something on my hands and arms for years. They are flesh color, or were... 2 days ago I noticed they are ALL dark brown.

If you feel I'm out to lunch feel free to say so, but if this is familiar to ANYONE I sure would love to know. It was thanks to a board like this that I found about my problem that lead to brain surgery with a top nuerosurgen at UCLA.

TIA

Connie
    The answer is simple..STOP the Lipitor and see if those symptoms go away...give it a month. There is no risk in getting of Lipitor for a while.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:01 AM   #3
    Jack51
    Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Hi Connie

Lipitor can surely cause muscle aches, pains and fatigue in a lot of people. I had to stop it. I cannot take any of the statins, but boy I wish that I could. I have been taking 1200mg/day of Red Yeast Rice, for about 8 days with no problems (go figure), which basically is one of the unadulterated statins.

Take Rahod's advice and stop for awhile. If it's the Lipitor, and you continue taking it long enough, you can have some long lasting problems.

Good luck

Old 11-30-2004, 08:20 AM   #4
    strikerx98
    (female)

strikerx98 HB User
    Smile Re: Lipitor input please!

Thanks guys. I did read the FDA info on Lipitor last night and found the ear ringing to be on the list as well as the others. I'm going to call the doctor today.

Thanks again!

Old 11-30-2004, 08:39 AM   #5
    ZippyDawg

ZippyDawg HB User

Aspirin will cause "ringing" in the ears as well as many other drugs. In any case it certainly seems like you should stop taking the Lipitor and to see if the problems you are experiencing disappear.

Statins do not "treat" CAD/CVD. They may reduce your risk of developing/advancing CAD/CVD but there is no guarantee that they will be helpful to you as an individual . You certainly won't immediately keel over by not taking it.

Last edited by ZippyDawg; 11-30-2004 at 08:41 AM.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:12 PM   #6
    strikerx98
    (female)

strikerx98 HB User

Doctor switched me today from 20mg Lipitor to 20mg Pravachol. Don't know much about this one, but hopefully I can stop living on Tums, and the only ringing I hear will be the phone.

Thx!

Old 12-01-2004, 04:37 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by strikerx98

Connie
    Hmmm, where to begin.
    Connie, you are on a MESS of drugs. Taking Elavil, darvocet, and Zoloft woould leave ANYBODY feeling like a zombie.
    1. On the "feel like codeine": propoxyphene IS a narcotic analgesic very much like codeine.
    2. Elavil is a VERY potent antipsychotic..I couldn't quite tell but are you STILL taking it and combing it with ZOLOFT?
    3. Four years on acetaminophen (other part of Darvocet) is a big mistake. It is too damaging to the liver to be used as a daily drug. Codeine with aspirin might be a far better choice.

Connie, I think the statin drugs are the least worrisome in your arsenal (but I'd still not mix daily pravachol with daily acetaminophen because you are increasing even further your risk of liver damage.)
    I think you must wean off some of these lalapaoozas. Adding the lipitor might have increased the effect of any of these drugs by making the liver less able to break them down fast enough.

(Please tell me you stopped the elavil before adding the Zoloft??)

Last edited by Lenin; 12-01-2004 at 04:44 AM.

Closed Thread