It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Lipitor or Pravachol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2004, 03:24 AM   #1
    dianne12315

dianne12315 HB User
    Smile Lipitor or Pravachol

Hi Everyone,

This is the first time I've ever had High Cholesterol. It was 229 so the doctor started me on Lipitor 10mg at night. Last year at this time it 186. I have no idea why it's so high now because my diet has not changed. I'm still eating the same things I've always eaten.

Is there a difference between Lipitor and Pravachol? I know there has been a lot attention given to Lipitor lately but what about Pravachol? Is that a better drug with less side effects than Lipitor? Is there anything I should look out for while taking Lipitor?

We use it a lot in the group home I work in but we'd never know if the girls were having any side effects to it because they are Developmentally Disabled and can't talk. Any information would benefit me and them.

Thanks
    Dianne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
    Re: Lipitor or Pravachol

I don't know much about Lipitor or Pravachol, but just want to express my surprise that your doctor would start you on one of those medications if your total cholesterol was only 229 without trying lifestyle modifications first. What were the other numbers, for LDL, HDL and triglycerides? The ratios tell one more about whether or not there is a real problem. Do you have other risk factors?

My doctor started making noises about putting me on a cholesterol-lowering drug in 2001, when my total cholesterol was 275, but I resisted. In 2003, I had it down to 247 with only modest dietary changes (I'll admit I didn't try too hard) and no exercise. My doctor was still talking Lipitor. At that point I chose to get more serious about dietary changes and to start an OTC niacin therapy instead with Enduracin, a sustained-release niacin. With just 500 mg Enduracin (one-third the typical prescribed amount), my TC in June was down to 202, LDL to 115, HDL to 70, and trigs to 83. Though those are pretty good numbers, because of family history my doctor wanted them even better, so I've since increased the Enduracin to 750 mg. (half the typical dose). And it is costing me less than five dollars a month. I know that there are contraindications and some people should not be on Niacin therapy, but it never ceases to amaze me that most doctors automatically think everyone has to start with the expensive prescriptions.

Old 12-02-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

dianne,

Lipitor is stronger than pravachol so you take less of it.
    I've taken Lipitor 10mg. for quite a while and I like the drug a lot. It shaved 100 points offf my cholesterol and MORE than 100 points off my LDL.

Old 12-02-2004, 04:31 PM   #4
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I took lipitor for three or more yrs and it caused me soooo many bad side effects i discontinued taking it. The muscle pains were horrible, not to mention memory loss. Last week my cardio prescribed pravigard(pravachol 40mg/asprin 325). She suggested i take half a pill.

Since i discovered the cause of my high cholesterol problem i will not take the pill.
    Dianne, in another post did you mention that you take lasix? Could this be the cause of your cholesterol problem? My cardio said that lasix wouldn't increase glucose, but she never mentioned cholesterol?

Old 12-03-2004, 06:15 PM   #5
    dianne12315

dianne12315 HB User

I was surprised my doctor wanted to put me on medication also. I didn't think 229 was all that high.

Here are the numbers:

Cholesterol 229
    Trig. 140
    HDL 40
    LDL, Calculated 160
    VLDL, Calculated 28
    Chol/HDL Ratio 5.7

I kind of think the Lasix is what's making it go up though. I never had a cholesterol problem until I started the Lasix. I also think it affects the glucose too because usually that's kind of low too. Before I started Lasix it was never higher than 70 or 75 but since the Lasix it has been 88 and was once as high as 101. I am not a diabetic and diabetes does not run in my family.

I've only been taking the Lipitor since Tuesday and I haven't noticed any muscle pains but I have noticed I'm starting to forget little things. Is it possible it's from the Lipitor already? If it is then I will not take it. I've always had a good memory and I'd like to keep it.

Thanks.
    Dianne

Old 12-03-2004, 06:35 PM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dianne,

It's the ratio of TC/HDL that is the red flag for your doctor. Total is too high and the HDL is at the very bottom of tolerability. The ratio should not be highter than 4.0!
    If you don't get muscle pain and your liver numbers are fine next month, the drug will give you astoundingly good numbers!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-03-2004 at 06:36 PM.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:04 PM   #7
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Lenin, do you know if the lasix could cause an increase in cholesterol? I was told by my cardio that it won't increase glucose levels but she never said anything about cholsterol?

Old 12-03-2004, 07:13 PM   #8
    rob1963
    (male)

rob1963 HB User

I have a long history of high cholesterol and I have tried everything in the book. I took Pravachol and it seemed to be working just fine until I changed doctor's and my new one ordered some tests and found that my CK levels were very elevated and this was due to the Pravachol. He promptly switched me over to a different medication. I am now taking Zocor and the last time I had blood work, my total cholesterol was down to about 180. Hope this helps.

Old 12-04-2004, 07:20 AM   #9
    dianne12315

dianne12315 HB User

Thanks for the information. I have no idea what the numbers meant much less the letters. I never worried about them before because high cholesterol was never a problem for me.

I've been on Lipitor since 11/30 and so far I have no muscle pains or anything. I will be going for blood work sometime this month and I will let you know if my numbers have improved or not.

I still think the high cholesterol is from taking Lasix though.

Dianne

Old 12-04-2004, 03:40 PM   #10
    Fizzickle
    Veteran
    (male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Diane:

I've been taking Lipitor 40 mg/day for over 5 years. Haven't had muscle problems or any particular memory loss problems.

I have several coronary problems including CHF and afib stemming from a massive heart attack in 1974. A nuclear stress test about two months ago showed some potential problems, so I had a coronary angiogram about a month ago. I have six bypasses from surgery in 1981. The coronary angiogram showed them to be open and functioning well after almost 24 years.. A goodly part of the reason for this, at least in my mind, is the care my wife took in my diet. And part of it I attribute to Lipitor..

In view of everything, It is important to me that I keep LDL as low as possible. About 70 is the recommended number for those with significant heart risks. I've been talking to my cardiologist about switching to Crestor, because my LDL has plateaued at about 85 - 90, and Crestor is supposed to be more effective than Lipitor at lower doses.

Haven't decided yet about this. But right now, I wouldn't part with the Lipitor unless there is a more effective statin available.

Regards,
    Bill

Old 12-04-2004, 04:18 PM   #11
    dianne12315

dianne12315 HB User

Bill,

It sounds as though you've had a few rough times. I hope you are feeling better. As I said in my earlier post I have no idea what the letters mean much less what the numbers mean. My cholesterol has always been good and it's only been since September that it's starting to go up.

I just looked Lipitor up on Yahoo.com and it said it should be used with caution in people who have an electrolyte or enzyme problem. I've had problems with my electrolytes since September also and I have a low Magnesium level. The last lab test said it was it was .09

I'm on Magnesium Tablets but as long as I'm on a diuretic (Lasix) my Magnesium level will probably remain low. So far I have not had any side effects from the Lipitor other than forgetting a few little things but I guess that's normal as we get older.

Is there anything I should look out for while taking Lipitor and having electrolyte problems?

One of the girls in my group home where I work is on Crestor. She had been on Lipitor for a few months but it wasn't doing too good for her so her doctor put her on Crestor as well as Zetia and her numbers have improved greatly.

You were so lucky to have survived a massive heart attack. How old were you when it happened? I'm glad the angiogram showed the bypasses are still open and are working ok. At least you changed your lifestyle for the better. My cousin had six bypasses done about 3 yrs ago but he's back to his old habits again. He's always eating things he's not supposed to be. I pray he smartens up before it's too late. He's only 51.

Stay well.
    Dianne

Old 12-04-2004, 05:41 PM   #12
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Bill,
    Your testimonial makes me think I might entertain increasing my Lipitor dosage from 10 mg to 20 mg.
    Hmmm?

Old 12-04-2004, 06:08 PM   #13
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dianne12315
    One of the girls in my group home where I work is on Crestor. She had been on Lipitor for a few months but it wasn't doing too good for her so her doctor put her on Crestor as well as Zetia and her numbers have improved greatly.
    That's the combo I'm using (10 mg Crestor and HALF a Zetia..5 mg) and results are spectacular...LDL went from 175 to 60.

Old 12-04-2004, 06:27 PM   #14
    Fizzickle
    Veteran
    (male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Lenin:

I don't know about how Lipitor affects others, so I make no recommendation.

My cardiologist first put me on 20 mg, and it wasn't achieving whatever target we had at the time, so he upped me to 40 mg, with very good results, and I have had no perceptible side effects from the medicine. But now I can't get my LDL down to 70, which is the new recommended target for high risk patients..

I have a prescription from my doc for Crestor 20 mg. If it weren't for the nagging question about kidney problems with Crestor, I'd jump right over to that. Probably will anyway. I think the statins have been real lifesavers for a lot of heart patients.

Bill

Old 12-04-2004, 06:28 PM   #15
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    Bill,
    Your testimonial makes me think I might entertain increasing my Lipitor dosage from 10 mg to 20 mg.
    Hmmm?
    Your results would be BETTER (than 20 mg alone) by just adding Zetia. Not only that, but you will have less exposure to the statin and less likely to develop symtoms. Just my 2 cents worth

Closed Thread