It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Borderline High Cholesterol-confused

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #1
    fraleylp
    (female)

fraleylp HB User
    Borderline High Cholesterol-confused

I am a 28-year old female who recently had an in-home physical for life insurance. My test results came back and it says I have borderline high cholesterol. My total # was 202, but my good cholesterol was over 100 (can't remember the exact number) and my bad cholesterol was 85. My ratio was 1.9, but I don't even know what that means. I am concerned, as I exercise regularly and strenuously-5 days a week-and eat well overall. While I can cut back on some saturated fats and trans fats, I'm not sure what else to do, especially b/c my good cholesterol is so high. It seems unfair that that's the number that has pushed me to borderline high. Any suggestions? I also have seen a cardiologist for a heart murmur-do you think I should consult with him regarding my cholesterol test? I am upset-I eat better than 95% of the general population and exercise more than most Americans, yet here I am with borderline high cholesterol at the age of 28!

Last edited by fraleylp; 03-09-2005 at 10:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
    running_guy

running_guy HB User
    Re: Borderline High Cholesterol-confused

Congratulations, your numbers IMO are excellent. Women have higher HDLs than men because of their estrogen levels. This is why women usually don't develop heart problems until they reach menopause. Your HDL at 100+ and probably an indicator of good diet and sufficient exercise. If you had a more normal HDL, your TC would probably be 20 points lower.

I'll let others give you their opinions. I think you are doing great!

Best regards,
    RG

Old 03-09-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
    jjano
    Inactive
    (male)

jjano HB User

RG is ""CORRECT"". You have great numbers. Your research will show you the below 5.0 is what is a major trigger point. Super goal is 3.5 Since you come in with rock bottom numbers you should be flying around your monitor singing****I HAVE SUPER GREAT NUMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

PS, My wife would die for your numbers with her TOTAL (C) OF BETWEEN 325 & 525 and thats with a strict diet plus meds to help.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:39 PM   #4
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

fraleylp,

Stop worrying - you're being told you have borderline cholesterol because the insurance company will use that as an excuse to charge you a higher premium.

Your cholesterol numbers are fine. The ration of good (HDL) to bad (LDL) cholesterol is far more important than the total cholesterol number. Your ratio is not just good, but extremely good.

If I were you, I'd tell the insurance company to take a hike. Sign up for a term insurance policy - I doubt you'd have to take a physical. You sound like you're applying for whole life - which is a big waste of money...

HubbleRules

Old 03-09-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

fraleylp, if I had numbers like that I would have a T-shirt made to wear with those numbers on it.

Like everyone else said, don't even give those numbers a second thought, they are GREAT! Don't let that insurance company try to pull a fast one on you.....

Old 03-09-2005, 09:36 PM   #6
    fraleylp
    (female)

fraleylp HB User

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It's pretty scary to get something in the mail that reads in bold "borderline high cholesterol." I'm still going to talk to my doctor about it, though. Just want to make sure everything is good. And there's definitley no harm in lowering my intake of saturated and trans fats. Thanks again.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #7
    Florida77
    (female)

Florida77 HB User

fraleylp,
    I too am a 28-year old VERY active female, but with very high cholesterol. I am a spinning instructor that teaches twice a week and exercises 5-6 days per week for 1-2 hours a day -I know, I go overboard. Anyway, I eat relatively well, but my body just produces cholesterol no matter what I do. I even tried being a vegan for 6 months and my cholesterol level dropped only 2 points. I have always been a very fit person and have ALWAYS had high cholesterol. At 15 years old I had 277 and have been up to 299. I am now at 232, which is the best I have even been. Don't beat yourself up and you are already doing everything you can do. Your numbers are fine! Just keep getting it check every six months or so to keep track. By the way, do you have a family history of high cholesterol?

Florida77
    Last results:
    HDL: 92
    LDL: 123
    TRI: 2.5
    TOTAL: 232

Closed Thread