It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Concerns, Worries, Scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User
    Unhappy Concerns, Worries, Scared!

Hello-

I'm new to this portion of HealthBoards. This is a section that I thought I would never be posting in, but recent news of having a high LDL has brought (scared) me over here!

My LDL was 160. The Dr. had me try Zocor. On the 3rd dose, I had nausea hit 3 hours after taking it, then lots of acid indigestion and gas. I have had periods of inner ear muscle spasms known as myoclonus. That had not acted up in a long time, but after the 3rd dose of Zocor, I had a flutter & boom noise hit my rt. ear at 4:00a.m., next a.m. I have read more bad than good, about the statins on this forum when I was lurking.

I called and talked with the nurse this a.m., and she is supposed to get back to me on what he thinks. I am very sensitive to medicine and it's side effects, way too sensitive. I don't know what he will say, but I asked her about going at this with diet, more walking exercise, taking Garlique, eating salmon, the usual cholesterol-fighting foods.

I had a person tell me today that my 160 is dangerously high and I am in grave danger of a heart attack and stroke! Great! That made my day, and my last name isn't even Eastwood!

Should I be scared witless, or not? The worry over this could alone cause a heart attack or stroke! My last cholesterol count a few months ago was fine. It either shot up on me, or the Dr. suddenly thinks it's too high. I'm pretty down and out now, and feel like a ticking time bomb.

Thanks~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: Concerns, Worries, Scared!

Do U have the rest of your numbers U could post? 160 isn't good, but I personally don't think it is dangerously high. Geez, just what U need, someone scaring U half to death.

I also am very sensitive to meds., so I have been trying to deal with my numbers with diet, exercise and some suppliments. I'm sure alot of folks here will try and give U some ideas as to where to go from here. It would help if U had your other numbers, as then we could get a ratio, and sometimes those are more important. If your numbers were good before, there is a possiblity U just ate wrong a few days before your test, or even the lab could have messed up, it has happened before.

Other things to consider is your age, are U overweight, or have any other risk factors, like diabetes, high BP, do U smoke etc. etc. Try not to freak out, like I said, it isn't good, but it also isn't a death warrant. Good luck..

Old 03-28-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Hello, JJ! Whew! Well, I feel some better reading your response! Thanks! I don't have the other figures--doc didn't supply them. All he said was he would suggest I try the medicine, and happened to have some samples on hand. I do believe we had been eating eggs and sausage maybe once a week prior to the testing. It was a fasting test, I forgot to mention. The nurse didn't call, probably didn't get time. I have a weakness for these eskimo pie type ice cream treats, and that's probably a super bad guy. I may eat two a day, but most of the time, one, if any.

I'm 57, about 168 or so, and 5'7" above mother earth! My weight was around 166 after a flu in Feb., but it is creeping back up on me! Ratz! I went out today, after reading another thread on here today, and plunked down for some pecans and two cans of salmon. Tell ya', JJ, if that nurse calls, I'll see if the have my other figs. handy.
    She may can tell me what my overall picture is, just have to see.

I'm relieved to hear this isn't a death warrant. Heart attacks run on my dad's side, and strokes run on my late mom's. She died from several months' complications from a ruptured brain aneurysm, then stroke during surgery to repair the aneurysm. That family history is a spooky thing!

Thanks again, and we'll see you later.

Old 03-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Well it does seem like U have some risk factors in the family, so I would definitely suggest some good ole fashion exercise. Till U get the overall pic. I wouldn't get all worked up, trust me, it DOESN'T help.

Still would see if U can convince the dr. to let U try diet and exercise, and some good suppliments. Some folks on here have really done fantastic with just sticking to a good diet and lots of exercise, so hopefully they will chime in and give U a few pointers.

I was doing pretty good for the last 2 yrs. with diet and exercise, then 2 months ago my numbers were all out of wack??? Even the dr. couldn't believe how messed up they were, but I also came down with the flu and a sinus infection 4 days after my blood test, so she is going to wait a few months for another test.

Wish we would get some decent weather so I can get out and go walking again, this house exercise is getting boring. I swear ole lady nature doesn't like us this year.

Like I said, for now just try and relax, surf the web for some natural ways to lower your numbers, and also check back here, as I know folks will want to help. If U can tolerate the meds. then go for it, but if U would prefer to go natural, hopefully U can do it. Best of wishes, and good luck...

Old 03-28-2005, 06:38 PM   #5
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Thanks again, JJ. You are so comforting to a worrisome being like me! I am hoping that diet and walking or something will do the trick. I can remember being told 3 years ago at another clinic that it was a bit high, then next time, just a few months ago, okay, now back up. It tells me that it is flexible, and may not be bent on skyrocketing no matter what, can be worked with, in other words.

I had flu myself, or a cousin to it back in Feb. I don't know if it would have influenced the tests that much later or not. Sounds like it may have affected yours by it going out of focus.

Well, I'll scat for now, JJ, and again, thanks for such comforting replies to worry wart here!

Old 03-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #6
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Just hang in there and see what happens. Sometimes being sick can cause your bloodwork to go a lil nuts, or so I am told. Sounds like your cholesterol is like mine, kind of up and down. I tried statins and had very nasty side effects, so I just do the best I can with diet and exercise.

I know folks with much higher numbers then mine and they are just fine, and also know other's with great numbers and they still have problems, so who really knows.

Whatever strain of flu, or what ever it is going around, man it knocks U for a loop. I know so many folks who said they can't remember last time they were so sick, and it hangs on like a best friend. A friend like that I, no anyone else needs. Like I said, don't stress out too much, that won't help, and believe it or not, stress can affect your numbers also. Guess they are right when they say stress can kill ya!! OH JOY!!! Best of wishes...

BTW, have they also checked your Thyroid, as if that is out of wack it can cause high cholesterol. My Thyroid is a bit sluggish, has been for over 25 yrs., so they are always testing me for that too. Oh the joys of getting older...DON'T LOSE IT!!!

Have a glass of wine, that is suppose to be good for cholesterol. I can't tolerate booze, one drink and I'm looped, but happy...

Old 03-29-2005, 09:07 AM   #7
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Well, I just had a conversation with the nurse, and she says that I definitely need to be taking something in the way of a med. This whole thing has me very upset because I am so sensitive to side effects of any medication. I mentioned being scared of the statins due to reading of so many horror stories of people getting neurological conditions from it. I have had problems for years off and on, with inner ear muscle spasms, and I'm almost certain the Zocor caused a flare up of that, and I can't take that. It unnerves me horribly to have those spasms!

I'm not in a very good mood now and will sign out.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:57 AM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Anxiety Man,

Those symptoms are not likely with Zocor. But why not wait a week with NOTHING and then switch to Lipitor and see what happens. If BOTH are a mess for you then you'll need an alternative. THe Spartan life helps lots of people but it's a lot of "avoiding."

No you won't drop dead from a 160 LDL, but over a decade or a score, you might very well run into some problems that you would have avoided with a 130 LDL, especially with that gruesome set of genes you inherited.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:40 PM   #9
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

I see my physician this afternoon to hash this all out.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Anxiety Man, have U ever had any tests done about your ear, that is kind of a strange symptom? Usually it is muscle weakness, pain and sometimes GI problems. On Lipitor I had the muscle pain and weekness, and on Baycol I had horrid GI problems. They tried me on Whelcol also, but that made me feel like a bloated, constipated whale.

Have a good talk with your dr. and ask if there isn't something else U can try, maybe even Niaspan???? I know your disgusted, been there too, as have so many, but U have to try and figure out a good diet, do exercise, lose weight if U need to, and possibly a few good suppliments. I tried fish oil, but they took me off as it raised my LDL, which is rare, but the dr. said it can happen. I hate fish, love to GO fishing, but not eat it, but I make sure I eat some each week now.

Definitely get some fiber into your system also, and watch those carbs. especially potatoes, white bread, white rice, and pasta. Any store has brown rice, so switch to that and whole wheat bread. I know it sounds rotten to give up alot of things U like, but if U can't take the meds., it is your only choice. I haven't given up everything entirely, just cut WAY back on alot of things I do like. Definitely stay away from fast foods and fried stuff, that is just asking for trouble.

Hope ya find a solution, and keep us posted how it is going....

Old 03-29-2005, 02:37 PM   #11
    jjano
    Inactive
    (male)

jjano HB User

Hi A Man,
    Great doctor, you did not die from high (C), but from a heart attach he caused with the news. With out the total listing of numbers its a bit hard to tellwhat you real levels might be. If you want to feel better, my wife's total (C) numbers are over 525 and would you believe she is still here!!!!!!!! Probablty will die from old age.

Every time you go to your doctor, GET COPIES of every test they run or reports sent in from other doctors. You MUST become your own advocate.

There are many ways to change your diet plus doing some exercises that can amazing help your numbers.

BUT ""STATIN"" sides can be far more dangerous to your health than (C) numbers. While not true for all, the risk for many can be life threatning.

Good Luck to you.

Jim

Old 03-29-2005, 05:15 PM   #12
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jim, U said a mouthful. Nothing like a dr. scaring the daylights out of you. I know these drs. want to get their patients cholesterol down, but using scare tactics isn't so smart.

My BIL passed away 8 months ago from a heart problem, and his cholesterol was perfectly fine, plus he never smoked, and was not overweight. Another friend of ours passed suddenly last month at age 56 of a heart attack. Guess what, another one with perfect cholesterol, extremly active, and no history of heart disease. It really makes U stop and wonder if this blaming high cholesterol on so many heart attacks is really the truth.....

Hope this finds U and Nanc ok, and hope U both enjoyed your Easter holiday. As always, my thoughts and prayers are with both of U.....

Old 03-29-2005, 06:15 PM   #13
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Breaker One-Nine!

I got off light today at the doc's. I was worried sick I was on death row, from the last visit, but he assured me I'm in no immediate danger of anything happening. As I'm so sensitive to meds and side effects, he agreed to let me try a diet they will print out for me, plus I've got some Flax Oil tabs, 1000mg., gulped down twice daily with a meal. They smell like a semi-dead bass , but I'm gonna take those critters. They are also horse pill size. I will also either get some Garlique or just eat garlic and play "oral skunk" games with the local population here.

At any rate, I am encouraged. I go back in 3 months to see how I did.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:43 PM   #14
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Glad to hear that at least your anxiety level has decreased over all this. You still didn't give us the other numbers, though. Many doctors now believe that the ratio of HDL to total cholesterol is far more important than the total. So did you get the figures for HDL and LDL?

If you keep reading these boards and do some appropriate searches for valid research on the web, you'll learn a lot more about what diet, supplements, and exercise can be expected to do for you. Everyone is different, though, but you'll at least get an idea of the likelihood of certain foods or products raising or lowering your cholesterol. I learned a lot more this way than through the few pages of information my doctor gave me, though that was a start.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #15
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well U sound like your in a much better frame of mind then before, good for you!! Glad the dr. was willing to work with you and not shut the whole idea of a natural approach down.

Flax seed is suppose to be very good, did the dr. tell U to keep it in the fridge, as I have heard it can go rancid, but don't quote me!! I take garlic pills after supper, mine are Nature's brand I believe, and U can get them at Walmart or even Costco. So far I don't think I have lost any friends due to taking them, or maybe they all have plugged up noses????

Glad to hear the good news, now stick with the diet, take the supplements, get some extra exercise, and hope for the best......

Last edited by JJ; 03-29-2005 at 07:12 PM.

Closed Thread