It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Results from my experiment with eating eggs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
    Results from my experiment with eating eggs

Since being told a couple of years ago that I had high cholesterol, I nearly gave up eggs, along with other dietary changes. I began taking niacin and other supplements. Through those means, I got my TC down from a high of 260 in 2001 to 190 in December. LDL went from 159 to 101 in that period.

Problem is: I love eggs! And giving up one of my favorite foods was a major sacrifice. So when I read some of the research showing that eggs eaten in large amounts did raise cholesterol, but it raised both LDL and HDL, I decided to go back on eggs and see what would happen. I ate two large or jumbo eggs a day almost every day for nearly three months. I also took two phytosterol pills (which are supposed to block some of the dietary cholesterol) before each meal containing eggs. Today I went in for my blood test. Here are the results, first my December results, then today's:

TC 190 241
    LDL 101 137
    HDL 72 91
    Ratio 2.6 2.7
    Trigs 87 68

My doctor believes the ratio is far more significant that the total cholesterol, and since that is still very good and hardly changed, I doubt she will even call me in to see her about the results this time.

My personal belief is that the majority of the changes were a result of the eggs, though there were some other things which might have been lesser factors. I did slack off on some of the cholesterol-lowering foods this time. I'd guess that I ate maybe 25% less legumes, oat bran, prunes, etc. than I did in the period before my previous test. I also got a little more exercise this time, just yard work, only a portion of which was aerobic exercise like spading and using the 2 gallon sprayer. (But then at my age and in my poor condition, even getting up off the ground from weeding seems like major exercise!) And I did go back to eating butter instead of soft margarine. But since I eat less than one cube a month, I didn't think that would be much of an influence.

I was surprised that my HDL was the highest and my trigs the lowest they have been in 21 years.

Comments?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 06:27 PM   #2
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: Results from my experiment with eating eggs

Well I have to have my 3 hard boiled eggs a week, loved them all my life. Yes your numbers are up a bit, but nothing I would get excited about.

That HDL is great, as is the Trigs. Like U said, it could be a few things that raised the other numbers. I think the numbers seem to flip flop sometimes for everyone. Guess U will just have to give up a few of those eggs, and whatever else U feel helped jump the TC and LDL. I hear ya about the weeding thing, of course if spring ever gets here, I hate that job, and getting up IS a chore. Ain't getting older just WONDERFUL??? NOT!!!

All I can say is, the numbers might be up a bit, but it sure wouldn't make me lose any sleep. Good luck, and God I hope my next test comes back as good as yours.....

Old 03-30-2005, 07:17 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Uff-Da.

Gee, so you got a 36 point upping of your LDL and a 19 point upping of your HDL with little changes other than the addition of eggs.
    I guess it shows that the cholesterol contribution from the eggs is significant indeed. Thank heavens a nice proportion goes toward HDL production as well as increased LDL's.

Like LOVE AND MARRIAGE lyrics: "You CAN't get one without the other."

I, like you LOVE eggs (8 or 10 a week)...it was the BEST thing about my couple years of Atkins. I guess I'll keep eating them because any fall in my HDL would be intolerable; it's the weakest part of my otherwise superb lipid panel.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-30-2005 at 07:19 AM.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:13 AM   #4
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I wasn't surprised by the fact that the numbers did increase, but was very surprised by the amount of the increase! The two pieces of research I read on people eating two or three eggs a day showed increases of 10% and 13% in TC, not the 27% I got. I thought the use of phytosterol pills would probably offset my reduction of cholesterol-lowering foods, but either I'm more greatly affected by the egg consumption than average or I'm more greatly affected by reduction in consumption of foods like legumes and oat bran. I wonder if the phytosterol pills are doing me any good at all.

Guess I'll back off on the eggs a bit, like eating two eggs every other day instead of daily. I could still live with that. But give them up again, never! I wish we knew for a fact that it was only the ratio that mattered.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:11 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I TRY to alternate egg days with non-egg breakfasts like oatmeal, wheatena-farina mix, and Lox-bagel-cream cheese-onion, and a weekly serving of pancakes (only 1/2 an egg) but the pancakes are guilty pleasures because of all the calories after the syrup is added in.
    Fewer eggs than that would be oppressive for me too.

I don't like a cold cereal for breakfast, only as a nighttime snack.

Truth be told, on Atkins I was actually getting sick of eggs...now THAT is a sad state of affairs because there is NOTHING ELSE that is a breakfast food with no-carbs.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-30-2005 at 09:15 AM.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:34 AM   #6
    elsie3205
    (female)

elsie3205 HB User

Will eating egg whites raise HDL without also raising LDL?

Old 04-01-2005, 05:46 AM   #7
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Since it is my understanding that all the cholesterol in an egg is in the yolk, I'd assume that eating egg whites only would have zero effect on HDL or LDL.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:25 AM   #8
    pcovers
    Veteran
    (female)

pcovers HB User

I would caution about presumptions over differences in readings. It is not uncommon to have significant differences, reading to reading, with litle change in diet or activity from one set to another. Cholesterol readings are not like height or weight: consitently conistent and relatively absolute. do not discount some impact due to eggs, but I also would not discount that there is as much not happening as there is happening. It really is little different than BP readings. If you only relied on one BP reading to define reality, you could be in big trouble.

If cholesterol readings were as simple and free as BP readings, you would have a much truer sense of what your real numbers were and what shifts were or werent' occuring.

Closed Thread