It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• HIGH Cholesterol ' 426 ' !!!! HELP !!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
    terrienne
    Inactive
    (female)

terrienne HB User
    HIGH Cholesterol ' 426 ' !!!! HELP !!!

Hello !

I haven't posted on this board before. I am hoping to find HELP !!!

My Cholesterol and Trigliserydes have always run high, it's in my genes.
    I have been taking Lipitor for years....., 10mgs. a day.
    About four months ago, my Doctor added Zetia.... 10mgs., a day.

I had my levels checked this week, and my Cholesterol was ' 426 ' !!!
    My Trigliserides checked in as ' 893 ' !!!
    My levels have always been high, but NEVER this high !

My Doctor called me back and put me on a different med., ' Vytorian ',
    which is a combination of 40mgs., of Lipitor and 10mgs., of Zetia !

I have been very sick, and struggling with infectious diseases such as
    the ' Chronic Epstein Barr Virus ', and ' Sjogrens ' (an autoimmune disease !),
    then they throw in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and etc., for months !
    So, the thought of exercise is going to be HUGE to me, as right now,
    EVERYTHING I DO TAKES GREAT EFFORT !!!
    But, I know I have to start somewhere.

As far as weight goes, I need to loose 10 to 15 pounds. I wish I knew what
    diet to go on.
    My Hubby is on the High protein--Low Carb. diet, and it works well for him,
    however I haven't had the success that he has with this one.

I know I have to change my diet, AND exercise !

I DO plan to get out my CO-Q10, Omega 3. I have been taking a large dose
    of Niacin/wAsprin. AND, WHATEVER...... ? I am open to suggestions.

I know that part of my problem is from script.,medications that I have to take,
    and I am working on this, by cutting down, with the help of my Doctor.

I am fifty nine, and I don't have high blood pressure or heart disease,
    however this IS in my family.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.............,
    Gee Gee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User
    Re: HIGH Cholesterol ' 426 ' !!!! HELP !!!

Gee Gee,

You have a lot working against you, but here are some suggestions:

1) Start reducing calories to lose the 10-15 pounds (lose them gradually)...

2) Cut back on carbohydrates - especially white breads, starchy vegetables (potatoes, turnips...), white rice.

3) Eliminate sugar (as best you can)

4) Eliminate anything that says 'Hydrogenated' in the ingredients list (it contains trans-fats, which increase your cholesterol and triglyceride levels).

5) Eat more green, leafy vegetables. Include more fruits, but don't go too heavy on them - they can contain a lot of fructose

6) Start taking at least 200mg of CoQ10 and 1000mg of Omega-3 Fish Oil daily (look for one that is high in EPA and DHA).

7) Do a search on the internet for 'low glycemic index' foods - and try to concentrate on them in your diet. Avoid the 'high glycemic index' foods.

8) Cook with Olive oil instead of other types of oils wherever possible.

9) Eat more fish (especially salmon, cod)

My wife has Epstein Barr, so I can understand your constant fatigue. Perhaps the CoQ10 will help that somewhat..

By the way, did you notice your weakness/tiredness worsened after you started Lipitor - because weakness is one of the known side effects of statins.

If you try most of the dietary changes above, your numbers have to improve. Perhaps to the point where you can get on a lower dose of a statin.

Best of luck,

HubbleRules

Old 04-16-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
    terrienne
    Inactive
    (female)

terrienne HB User

Hello ! HubbleRules,

WOW ! Thanks for this wonderful information. Sounds like you might be in the
    medical profession........,
    I know, I have a lot working against me, and I am armed and ready with
    your suggestions, on the road to feeling better.

1) Okay ! I know, I must lose this weight !

2) This I can do......., I NEVER eat white bread, only wheat, NO potatoes,
    and, I eat only brown rice. However, I know I have to cut the carbs. !

3) We've used Splenda for several years, NO SUGAR, so I will cut down on
    this, and I am already drinking more decaf. tea, and less diet soda.

4) Okay....., I will eliminate the Hydrogenated stuff.

5) I know I can eat more leafy veggies. We eat a LOT of salad, too.

6) Advice taken, on the Omega 3 and CoQ10 and, etc.

7) Thanks, I will do the search on the Internet.

8) We only cook with extra virgin olive oil !

9) We do eat a lot of fish. My husband fishes for catfish, and we eat it
    broiled. We also eat a lot of grilled tuna and salmon.

Hey ! Do you think I may have a bit of a ' Jump start ', on your rules ?lol.
    I feel better already, just knowing there is help out there ! Ha !

I have recently been struggling with some intestinal problems and for several
    weeks I have laid off the fried foods, totally.
    I know it's those carbs., that I have to watch out for ! No more frozen yogart,
    and etc.
    I will be making these diatary changes also.

Yes, I do remember noticing weakness when I first started taking Lipitor.
    I suppose by having this Chronic EBV, and Sjogren's, it just all blends in
    together, with my total fatigue, these days.

I am sorry to hear that your wife has EBV ! I would love to hear more about her case. I have an idea she is as fortunate as I am,
    in that she has a wonderful, understanding Husband !

I have some posts on the ' Infectious Diseases ', board, and ' Sjogren's ' ,
    as you may already know. If not, you might want to check them out !
    In my case, my Doctor's do not seem to know
    anything that can be done for this. I am still searching for answers on my
    own though.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP........., I will keep in touch.

Best Wishes to you,.........., waiting to hear from you,
    Gee Gee

PS. I just got a glimpse of folks being frightened of Lipitor. My opinion is that
    if it were going to kill me, I would have been dead and gone,
    a long time ago......,the same goes with Celebrex !

Old 04-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Gee Gee,

You have a jump start on the rules - that is for sure!!! And I didn't mean to depress you when I said you have a bit working against you.... I just know that exercise is a key in lowering cholesterol, and in improving health in general, and I also know that CFS can make regular exercise difficult.

You've come to the right place - there are a lot of people on this forum who will give you prudent advise... and they do want to help...

Don't give up if you don't get quick results - think of your goals as long term, and expect some bumps along the way, but I think you'll see some definite improvement next blood test. By the way, did you fast for at least 12 hours before your last blood test??? If not, the results are pretty meaningless.

My wife was diagnosed with CFS at least 10 years ago. The doctors have not been able to do anything for her - they know next to nothing about it. She needs LOTS of sleep, and stress always seems to make it worse - we're trying to reduce our after-school activities a bit so we don't have to run ragged getting the kids from A to B...

I've asked her a few times to give the CoQ10 a try - but she never sticks with it long enough for it to kick in - it can take months - if it will help at all..

I'll check out the 'Infectious Disease' forum - do they have any good advice for CFS there?

HubbleRules

Old 04-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #5
    syn
    (female)

syn HB User

do you eat red meat at all? My fathers was higher than yours.. they told him he was a walking heart attack waiting to happen.. they told him they didnt see why he didnt fall over dead yet.. he completely cut out red meat and amazingly his levels are almost normal.. he had to lose quite a bit of weight as well.. all he did really was just eat smaller portions 3 times a day.. no eating after 6 and drinking mostly water..

Old 04-16-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Gee Gee...Sorry to hear of all your medical problems, but as Hubble said, stick around, your not alone, and there are folks here that will try and give U some good advice.

Sounds like U have been trying to get those numbers down, so hopefully with a few added things, like some supplements, and exercise when U can, U will see a change. A friend of mine has been on Lipitor for many years also, and was doing fine, but last month her tests didn't go so well, so her dr. switched her to Vytorin also. Maybe your body got too use to the Lipitor and the change will help.?? I'm not a statin user, as I had nasty side effects from them, as well as the fibrates they tried me on, so trying like crazy to get my numbers down by myself. Things have been good for the last 2 yrs., not great, but enough to keep the dr. off my back, but last test was not so good.

Hubby and I have added alot more veggies and fruits, and cut down to red meats only 2 times a week, as we were eating it 4 times a week. Oh well, just have to see how it goes in a couple of months. Hubby is also type 2 diabetic, so between the statins and that, he has developed very bad neuropathy in his legs and feet, and now it is starting in his hands. Hubby was on statins for years, but started developing things he never had before, so the dr. took him off them. His cardio man said he, like me, was just one of the folks who can't take them. Geez, isn't getting older a bummer??

One question I have for both U and Hubble, as I know his wife suffers from CFS also, have U ever been tested for Lyme Disease? A friend of mine was misdiagnosed for 2 years with CFS, as he had none of the classic symptoms of it, but when he switched drs. they ran some kind of test and found out he did indeed have it. Don't ask me what tests they ran, but they came back positive. Just a thought for U and Hubble to ask the drs. about.

I know when I was on statins, I not only had GI problems, but also had terrible fatigue, and very severe muscle problems, as did hubby. As I have said MANY times, for those that can take them fine, but there are those of us who just can't tolerate them, so we have to fight a lil harder with diet and exercise, and it isn't fun. I really wish U all the luck in the world with the new statin, and hopefully with it, and some diet changes, all will be fine on your next test. Best of wishes.....

BTW..Have U also tried green tea, as I have heard good things about that for cholesterol and high BP. I haven't tried it yet, but my dr. told me to, so tomorrow I am going to go and buy some. Some folks say it is bitter, other's say a lil lemon makes it taste fine. Will let ya know what I think of it...

Old 04-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #7
    terrienne
    Inactive
    (female)

terrienne HB User

Thanks HubbleRules,

It's great to know that I do have a jump start to being more well !
    And..........,noooo, you didn't depress me by saying that I have a bit
    working against me ! I know I do. Speaking of the D word, I am depressed most of the time, anyway ! For real.

I do feel like I am in a good place here. And, I need all of the help I can get !
    So, you guys can keep this positive energy coming my way !

Yep ! I was NPO for 12 hours before my blood work. Thanks for bringing that up, as I know it is important.

So, you say your wife was diagnosed as having CFS at least 10 years ago ?
    WOW ! Didn't you say that she also has Epstein Barr Virus ?
    She does need a LOT of sleep, to say the least. I can't imagine having this
    when my Kids were growing up. I know she is struggling. But it sounds like
    you are a great help to her.
    Our four Kids are grown and gone out on their own, so we are experiencing the ' empty nest syndrome ' !!!! They all live just the right distance away.lol.

Oh, Yes, you will find a lot of information on the ' Infectious Disease ' board,
    and there is also one on Chronic Fatigue, and Sjogren's Syndrome TOO !
    Let me know if this does help you.

Take Care......., and keep in touch,
    Gee Gee

Old 04-16-2005, 07:55 PM   #8
    terrienne
    Inactive
    (female)

terrienne HB User

[QUOTE=syn]do you eat red meat at all? My fathers was higher than yours.. they told him he was a walking heart attack waiting to happen.. they told him they didnt see why he didnt fall over dead yet.. he completely cut out red meat and amazingly his levels are almost normal.. he had to lose quite a bit of weight as well.. all he did really was just eat smaller portions 3 times a day.. no eating after 6 and drinking mostly water..

[/QUOTE-- Gee Gee]
    syn, Thanks for your reply.
    No, I don't eat much red meat, mostly chicken, turkey, and fish.
    And, I am drinking more water. (bottled water !)

THANK YOU, Sooo much for your information. Feel free to send more.....,

Gee Gee

Old 04-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #9
    terrienne
    Inactive
    (female)

terrienne HB User

[QUOTE=JJ]Gee Gee...Sorry to hear of all your medical problems, but as Hubble said, stick around, your not alone, and there are folks here that will try and give U some good advice.

Sounds like U have been trying to get those numbers down, so hopefully with a few added things, like some supplements, and exercise when U can, U will see a change. A friend of mine has been on Lipitor for many years also, and was doing fine, but last month her tests didn't go so well, so her dr. switched her to Vytorin also. Maybe your body got too use to the Lipitor and the change will help.?? I'm not a statin user, as I had nasty side effects from them, as well as the fibrates they tried me on, so trying like crazy to get my numbers down by myself. Things have been good for the last 2 yrs., not great, but enough to keep the dr. off my back, but last test was not so good.

Hubby and I have added alot more veggies and fruits, and cut down to red meats only 2 times a week, as we were eating it 4 times a week. Oh well, just have to see how it goes in a couple of months. Hubby is also type 2 diabetic, so between the statins and that, he has developed very bad neuropathy in his legs and feet, and now it is starting in his hands. Hubby was on statins for years, but started developing things he never had before, so the dr. took him off them. His cardio man said he, like me, was just one of the folks who can't take them. Geez, isn't getting older a bummer??

One question I have for both U and Hubble, as I know his wife suffers from CFS also, have U ever been tested for Lyme Disease? A friend of mine was misdiagnosed for 2 years with CFS, as he had none of the classic symptoms of it, but when he switched drs. they ran some kind of test and found out he did indeed have it. Don't ask me what tests they ran, but they came back positive. Just a thought for U and Hubble to ask the drs. about.

I know when I was on statins, I not only had GI problems, but also had terrible fatigue, and very severe muscle problems, as did hubby. As I have said MANY times, for those that can take them fine, but there are those of us who just can't tolerate them, so we have to fight a lil harder with diet and exercise, and it isn't fun. I really wish U all the luck in the world with the new statin, and hopefully with it, and some diet changes, all will be fine on your next test. Best of wishes.....

BTW..Have U also tried green tea, as I have heard good things about that for cholesterol and high BP. I haven't tried it yet, but my dr. told me to, so tomorrow I am going to go and buy some. Some folks say it is bitter, other's say a lil lemon makes it taste fine. Will let ya know what I think of it...

[/QUOTE --Gee Gee]Thanks ! JJ,

I plan to stick around here for a while, only if you don't get tired of me !
    I need all the help/advice I can get !
    I know what you mean about the Lipitor, and I don't think I was on a
    large enough dosage.
    I will be interested to know how your friend does on this Vytorin.
    Maybe you could keep my posted, okay ?

Beeee careful, trying to get those levels down by yourself.lol.
    I am sorry to hear that you and your Hubby have these side effects.
    And, sorry to hear that he is diabetic. I have this on both sides of my
    family. It's a scary thing to me. Bet you take good care of him.
    YES ! What a bummer........., getting older !

Yes, I was tested for Lyme disease. I have been to so many Doctors, and
    different kinds of Doctors and had every test in the universe done,
    I do believe. I have been reading about Lyme though, Thanks for adding that.

Thanks again for your support,
    Take Care, and please keep in touch.....,

Good night...,

Gee Gee

Old 04-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #10
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Gee Gee...Nah, we won't get tired of you, trust me...

Right now hubby and I are just trying to do the ole diet and exercise routine, and add some supplements that have been mentioned. As I said, up until my last test, things were doing pretty good, don't know why it went so wacky last time? Oh well, just have to wait and see.

My girlfriend was on 80 mgs. of Lipitor, and her numbers still skyrocketed this last time, so hopefully she will do well on the Vytorin, and Yes, I will keep ya posted how she does.

Yes, I try to take good care of hubby, as he does me, but it sure would be easier if we had much better health, but hey, there are folks worse off then us. Guess we just deal with the cards we are dealt, and fight back as hard as possible....

I had forgotten about the person who had the Lyme disease, so figured I would toss it in while my CRS wasn't in full bloom... God there are days I wonder about myself. Glad U were tested, and as I said, good luck with the new stuff, and hopefully U can post VERY good results next time.

Definitely time for this ole lady to go nites also, the days of being a nightowl are over. Take good care, sleep well, and CYL.... zzzz

Old 04-17-2005, 04:04 AM   #11
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Gee Gee,
    You also need to be under the care of specialists, probably a hepatologist (live specialist). Your response to Lipitor indicates something almost unique is going on, maybe tied to your autoimmune status.
    If 10 mg. Lipitor AND zetia still gives you horrible readings like you are getting, just fiddling with other statins isn't good medical care. Perhaps something like 80 mg. Lipitor for a last ditch effort AND all the above mentioned dietary intervention.

But really there's something WEIRD going on...I'd almost even suspect COUNTERFEIT Lipitor, or VOODOO!

I'm not fond of saying this, but you MIGHT try a severe ketogenic diet like Atkins Induction for a while and see if this takes your numbers down several hundred! You MUST get them down, it's really, really serious.

Old 04-17-2005, 03:39 PM   #12
    terrienne
    Inactive
    (female)

terrienne HB User

Hi ! Lenin,

THANKS for your reply ! I know you are so RIGHT about this being a serious
    situation/condition going on here.

I have given this much thought, and I realize that part of the problem is
    my fault, in that I should have let my Doctor of Infectious Diseases ---,
    Doctor of Internal Medicine, take over this problem ALSO,
    when I went to him in September.
    I already had my conclusive diagnosis of the EBV.
    He was the one who diagnosed me as having ' Sjogren's Syndrome '!
    There was just too much going on at the time, I guess. I just failed to
    mention my High Chol. and Trig. levels.
    Still, it seems that he would have caught this, don't you think ?
    Well, I will be getting in touch with him about this.

One of my problems is that I live in a small town, down south, and I should
    have known not to depend on my GP here.

THANK YOU, AND I think you are so RIGHT about your diet suggestion !
    Actually, my Hubby just left to go (we have to go to another town) buy
    groceries, about thirty minutes from here.
    Actually, we are about an hours drive from ANYWHERE ! Ha ! (I'm serious !)

Anyway, we had a long talk before he left, about our DIETS ! He has been
    on a ' high protein, low carb. diet ', for several weeks now. He is dropping
    weight TOO ! It's very similar to Atkin's !

He went on this diet a couple of years ago, and lost 50 pounds very quickly !
    This seems to be the only diet that works for him. However, I had a hard
    time with it. I did lose some weight, but those **** carbs., just would
    not leave me alone !
    I am going to give it another try, though.
    Hopefully, this time it will work well for me TOO !

I also think you are RIGHT about this Lipitor maybe being tied to my
    autoimmune status !

I Thank You, so much for your response, and concern. Your advice has
    been most helpful. I will keep in touch. Don't hesitate to send more advice,
    if you think of something else................,

Thanks again,
    Gee Gee

Old 04-17-2005, 05:14 PM   #13
    terrienne
    Inactive
    (female)

terrienne HB User

Hi ! HubbleRules,

I did a reply to your last e-mail, on the next page (2), I think !

Just wondering if you got this........,
    Gee Gee

Old 04-17-2005, 05:54 PM   #14
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Gee Gee,

Yes, I did see your reply on page 2 - thanks.

And yes, my wife was confirmed to have EBV and Chronic Fatigue at least 10 years ago.

She doesn't remember ever being tested for Lyme Disease - but she'll follow up with her doctor - it should be ruled out. It seems Chronic Fatigue is sometimes diagnosed by exclusion (if it's not everything else, it must be CFS).

Have you found anything (other than lots of rest, and reduced stress) to be helpful?

There are no drugs I'm aware of for it. The only thing I could think of that might help would be CoQ10.

HubbleRules

Old 04-20-2005, 01:17 PM   #15
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gee Gee
    Hello !

I haven't posted on this board before. I am hoping to find HELP !!!

My Cholesterol and Trigliserydes have always run high, it's in my genes.
    I have been taking Lipitor for years....., 10mgs. a day.
    About four months ago, my Doctor added Zetia.... 10mgs., a day.

I had my levels checked this week, and my Cholesterol was ' 426 ' !!!
    My Trigliserides checked in as ' 893 ' !!!
    My levels have always been high, but NEVER this high !

My Doctor called me back and put me on a different med., ' Vytorian ',
    which is a combination of 40mgs., of Lipitor and 10mgs., of Zetia !

I have been very sick, and struggling with infectious diseases such as
    the ' Chronic Epstein Barr Virus ', and ' Sjogrens ' (an autoimmune disease !),
    then they throw in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and etc., for months !
    So, the thought of exercise is going to be HUGE to me, as right now,
    EVERYTHING I DO TAKES GREAT EFFORT !!!
    But, I know I have to start somewhere.

As far as weight goes, I need to loose 10 to 15 pounds. I wish I knew what
    diet to go on.
    My Hubby is on the High protein--Low Carb. diet, and it works well for him,
    however I haven't had the success that he has with this one.

I know I have to change my diet, AND exercise !

I DO plan to get out my CO-Q10, Omega 3. I have been taking a large dose
    of Niacin/wAsprin. AND, WHATEVER...... ? I am open to suggestions.

I know that part of my problem is from script.,medications that I have to take,
    and I am working on this, by cutting down, with the help of my Doctor.

I am fifty nine, and I don't have high blood pressure or heart disease,
    however this IS in my family.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.............,
    Gee Gee

Gee,

Vytorin is ezetimibe and simvastatin (ZOCOR). I guess your doctor switched you from a lipitor. This combination may be better for you along with diet etc..

Closed Thread