It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Anyone Drink Alcohol Regularly?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
    mg_health
    Inactive
    (male)

mg_health HB User
    Question Anyone Drink Alcohol Regularly?

I'm wondering if my cholesterol problems (high LDL-3/low HDL) are associated with regular alcohol use (3-5 drinks/day on weekends).

Does anyone here have high cholesterol and drink regularly?

I don't drink during the week, but I often go out to dinners with friends and end up drinking anywhere from 2 to 5 drinks on Fridays, Saturdays and sometimes Sundays.

My last 3 blood tests have shown that my liver is healthy, so I'm not sure if it's my liver causing my cholesterol problems or if it's just my diet or even just being unlucky (genes)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
    Tobias
    Veteran
    (female)

Tobias HB User
    Re: Anyone Drink Alcohol Regularly?

Alcohol consumption on a daily (moderate) basis can raise HDL. An example: a glass of red wine daily, not waiting until the weekend to have several drinks in succession, then nothing for several days.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
    mg_health
    Inactive
    (male)

mg_health HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tobias
    Alcohol consumption on a daily (moderate) basis can raise HDL. An example: a glass of red wine daily, not waiting until the weekend to have several drinks in succession, then nothing for several days.
    Thanks, but my question is more related to alcohol as a cause of cholesterol problems (due to liver issues).

Old 05-09-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
    Tobias
    Veteran
    (female)

Tobias HB User

"Alcohol intake is negatively associated with development of increased LDL cholesterol "

see abstract of this study: http://www.alcoholism-cer.com/pt/re/alcoholism/abstract.00000374-200107000-00015.htm;jsessionid=CAi5Yze1wN20dmYiLKo 6rYol2DEzGkEQ3YxkS8IuXoOker2gzheA!-2129639439!-949856031!9001!-1

Old 05-10-2005, 09:20 AM   #5
    mg_health
    Inactive
    (male)

mg_health HB User
    Exclamation Re: Anyone Drink Alcohol Regularly?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tobias
    "Alcohol intake is negatively associated with development of increased LDL cholesterol "

see abstract of this study: http://www.alcoholism-cer.com/pt/re/alcoholism/abstract.00000374-200107000-00015.htm;jsessionid=CAi5Yze1wN20dmYiLKo 6rYol2DEzGkEQ3YxkS8IuXoOker2gzheA!-2129639439!-949856031!9001!-1
    Thanks, but careful, the moderator will probably ban you, like he/she did me a few days ago, for posting links to "copyrighted" websites!

Old 05-11-2005, 05:18 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Tobias,

That is an interesting study but unfortunately the cohort was Japanese men. The Japanese are genetically very nearly unique in their liver's handling of alcohol...their enzymatic structures are different and, among other things, they do not readily break down the acetaldehyde which is the first step in alcohol breakdown by the liver.

The results of heavy drinking might not be so favorable to Occidentals, LDL-wise (or they might?.)

It also brings to mind my problem with fasting triglyceride testing. Alcohol causes a rise in triglycerides (and thus VLDL) that is not apparent after a one day alcohol fast. But what is the lipid situation WHILE DRINKING...certainly vastly different from the fasting lab test?
    (Always struck me as silly to test fasting levels of ANYTHING when people NEVER fast for more than 8 hours and usually walk around with full stomachs all the time!) Maybe they should set up lipid testing centers in popular bars!!!

Closed Thread