It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Anyone Taking Non-Prescription Niacin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
    mg_health
    Inactive
    (male)

mg_health HB User
    Question Anyone Taking Non-Prescription Niacin?

I was wondering if anyone has started taking non-prescription Niacin to help in their efforts to lower LDL and raise HDL, and, if so, has it worked?

Or, do you need a doctor's prescription to start taking it (in large doses)?

If it's worked, what kind? Immediate, delayed release? How much?

If, come my next blood test, my results aren't better, I might consider taking Niacin as I've heard nothing but good about it for lowering LDL and raising HDL.

Last edited by mg_health; 05-13-2005 at 01:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
    Re: Anyone Taking Non-Prescription Niacin?

From my own experience I've been taking niacin for nearly 20 years, and it has raised my HDL significantly. You don't need a prescription for it unless you are taking Niaspan, which is only available by prescription. I take immediate-release niacin, 250mg four times a day, for a total of 1000mg. Immediate-release niacin is probably best used for raising HDL. If you are more concerned about lowering LDL, I've heard that time-release niacin is best used for that.

I'm not a doctor, so I really can't make any recommendations as to how much or what form of niacin will benefit you most. It would probably be better if you talk this over with your doctor. He can probably best advise you as to which form of niacin would be best for you, and how much to take.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

I've been off the niacin a couple of weeks now trying to see if the pains in my thigh may be related to niacin, but being off it hasn't seemed to help at all so I think the problem is unrelated to the niacin. I'll probably wait until I see the doctor next week before going back on niacin, though.

Anyway, I lowered my LDL from 247 to 190 and increased my HDL from 62 to 72 with 750 mg Enduracin, a sustained-release OTC niacin. I've had another more recent lipid panel in which both LDL and HDL were higher, but that was after my experiment of eating two eggs a day for almost three months.

My philosophy about taking niacin was to take no more than necessary to do the job, so I started out with 250 mg a day for three months. When that didn't get numbers down enough, I tried 500 mg a day for six months. That brought LDL to 202, but my doctor suggested increasing the niacin to 750 mg daily, which resulted in the LDL of 190. This is combined with a low-saturated fat and low-trans fat diet.

If you choose to take an OTC niacin in therapeutic doses, make sure you get regular liver enzyme tests, as the niacin can be just as dangerous as the statins. The number of people who are affected is low, but just in case you are one of them, the regular tests would allow one to quit before permanent damage was done. Niacin is not recommended for anyone whose liver has been damaged from alcohol or who drink heavily.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

mgHealth,

I am working my way up SLOWLY trying to mitigate the flush. With my 10 mg. Lipitor, I can easily take 125 mg X 3 doses occasional flush, 250 x 3 with a light flush all the time and 375 mg x 2 doses (2 days now) on a full stomach with a flush that is close to my bearable limit. I've been increasing the dosage over the last 2 months and the first 125 mg. doses were MURDER but they've eased off a lot.
    I would LIKE to try 375 x 3 but I'm only eating 2 full meals a day right now and I don;t DARE take this stuff on an empty stomach...the flush is crucifying with 5 minutes!
    Im getting a significant increase in my HDL and a superb shift to HDL2.

I'm using an ANCIENT bottle of Pioneer Brand 500 mg. straight VERY flushing niacin from GNC...must be 15 years old or older! Since I'm taking Lipitor, I have no interest in ever going above a total of 1500 mg/day in 3 divided doses...but I have my doubts about ever getting above 1125 mg. because of the flush!

Last edited by Lenin; 05-13-2005 at 06:10 PM.

Old 05-15-2005, 05:12 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Well,
    The 375 mg. X 2 or 3 doses is proving untenable; the facial and neck stinging is just too much to bear.
    I have to stay at 250 mg. for at least a month til I try higher again.
    I think the 250's still give me a nice enough HDL boost that I sorely need...now if ONLY I had Stumper's Cardio-Chek!

Hmmm, I broke 200 tablets of 500 mg. niacin into 4 pieces each with MUCH WORK for a total of 800 pieces...and now I take 2 at a time ...MURPHY'S LAW STRIKES AGAIN!

Old 05-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
    kiraannewife
    (female)

kiraannewife HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Anyone Taking Non-Prescription Niacin?

I"m on the perscrision one and right now i'm miserable masive rednes and heat iching last night i started to stop beathing in my sleep hubby woke me up and I had the feeling that my throat was swolen and very thursty and I have had other sidafects headaces dissenes for me i don't like it even with the aspren I take with it Dr. is going to lower the doise to one day take less and the next take the higher doise that caused this I'm very scared.

Old 05-18-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

kirannewife,

Be VERY leary of that higher dose. What you are suffering is the worst kind of flush reaction: angioedema. Any throat swelling is potentially FATAL. The first sign of angioedema is a slight swelling of the lips. The first time I took 500 mg. I thought that was the end of the road for me ...purple from forehead to naval, puffy lips and constricting throat.
    I took aspirin and Benadryl and sat with the doorman so he could call 911 if I started gasping. It was almost a half hour before things calmed down.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:30 AM   #8
    kiraannewife
    (female)

kiraannewife HB User
    Post Re: Anyone Taking Non-Prescription Niacin?

wow that is bad it toke me to days to get over it and this morning as well my . Dr. wants me to take lower does then the next day take the big dose I dont want to scared i will stop breathing again I think it's dangrus at that level and I do take the asprin with it but it still happend and not once but this was the second and the worse time so I don't know what I'm going to do I guess try what she tells me to do then if i get sick call her back and tell her I wont take it at that level and I'm going to drink more water with it as well and less coffie take it latter as well see if that helps but I'm scared thanks for talking to me I needed it

Old 05-20-2005, 05:07 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

kirannewife,

If the angioedema took 2 days to recover, I would NEVER take ANY niacin again. The risk is too great and sometimes the first dose is sensitizing and the second is a killer.

What was the DOSAGE of that pill that knocked you over?

Old 05-20-2005, 11:39 AM   #10
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    kirannewife,

If the angioedema took 2 days to recover, I would NEVER take ANY niacin again. The risk is too great . . .
    Agree with that one. I wouldn't take it. Look for a different solution.

Old 05-20-2005, 09:27 PM   #11
    kiraannewife
    (female)

kiraannewife HB User

i looked up reation u were talking about right after i typed and read your message it scarred me it was word for word what happend to me i right then and there decide to never take it again and i saved the page and i'm going to copy it to show to my Dr. and talk more to her about what happend and tell her ii wont take the pill . i was on 1000 Mg every day with asprin half an hour before taking the other . thank u so much for your help it was a time released niaspan precripson . u may have helped save my life thank u so much.

Old 05-21-2005, 05:31 AM   #12
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

mg_health,

I just started taking niacin (Inositol Hexanicotinate) 3 days ago.

I bought the 'No Flush Niacin' brand from 'Source Naturals'. I've started on 250mg/day. My first few doses caused a mild tingling sensation in my lips, and the first night I did feel a strange feeling in my throat, almost like a mild constriction.

The last 2 doses did not cause any wierd sensation in the throat. I was reading that IH is supposed to be the best tolerated niacin, and about as effective as the immediate release.

I have my next blood work on June 24th - and I want to increase my HDL level. I'm also exercising regularly again (jogging 3 miles 3-4 times/week), but even when I was younger and more active than today, I was never able to budge my HDL above about 45. I hope the niacin finally budges it significantly.

HubbleRules

Old 05-21-2005, 06:00 AM   #13
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I'll be curious to see what the hexanicotinoate does for your HDL. If you get a nice boost, I'll try it. The flushing from the quick hit regular is getting wearisome even if I keep it at tolerable levels (low).

How high a daily dosage are you hoping to build to?

Old 05-21-2005, 04:33 PM   #14
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Lenin,

I will definitely post my results.

I'm starting off very slowly (250mg/day) to let my body get used to it. If I don't get a significant improvement in HDL, I'll consider upping it to 500mg/day - and see if I can tolerate it.

I don't think I'd want to go beyond 750mg/day. There are lots of warnings about using Niacin in 'therapeutic' dosages (1000+mg/day) - so I want to avoid therapeutic levels if at all possible. If you do use it in these high doses, you should get regular liver-function tests, because it can be toxic to the liver at high doses.

I'm still having some very slight residual tingling around the lips from my 250mg intake last night - so I may even throttle back a bit until I get used to it and can take it without any lasting side-effects.

HubbleRules

Old 05-21-2005, 06:20 PM   #15
    mg_health
    Inactive
    (male)

mg_health HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Anyone Taking Non-Prescription Niacin?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HubbleRules
    mg_health,

I just started taking niacin (Inositol Hexanicotinate) 3 days ago.

I bought the 'No Flush Niacin' brand from 'Source Naturals'. I've started on 250mg/day. My first few doses caused a mild tingling sensation in my lips, and the first night I did feel a strange feeling in my throat, almost like a mild constriction.

The last 2 doses did not cause any wierd sensation in the throat. I was reading that IH is supposed to be the best tolerated niacin, and about as effective as the immediate release.

I have my next blood work on June 24th - and I want to increase my HDL level. I'm also exercising regularly again (jogging 3 miles 3-4 times/week), but even when I was younger and more active than today, I was never able to budge my HDL above about 45. I hope the niacin finally budges it significantly.

HubbleRules

I guess, for some people, they may never be able to naturally increase their HDL levels. I feel I may be one of those as well. Please let me (us) know when you get your upcoming results. Hopefully, the niacin works for you! My HDL is currently at 36. It's been as low as 26! Usually, however, it hovers in the mid-30s. There has been a correlation, though, between my levels of triglycerides and my levels of HDL: when my triglycerides were higher, my HDL was lower. When my triglycerides got lower, my HDL levels increased respectively.

Closed Thread