It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Statins use???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #1
    dak2005
    (female)

dak2005 HB User
    Statins use???

My Dad has has had diabetes now for 9 years. He has done well for quite sometime. 2 years ago his doctor put him on 20 mg of Zocor. He never really noticed any major side effects but my Mom did about 8 months following. Forgetfulnes, some memory loss, lost train of thought. His doctor blew it off as an "age " thing and a "male thing" so we believed him. But it has really effected my Dad the last year or and we are all obviously worried. He is 61 and has really been in great health for many years and was watching his diet for quite sometime until going on metformin right before the zocor.(approx. spring 2003) I have done so much research for my parents, trying to find the answers. I admit I am so worn out. I know I am not a doctor but also feel we need to take charge of our health!! He went to a neurologist in April of 2005 and nothing was conclusive. He has also had a sleep study done. (restless syndrome) I have also read of possible sleep problems for people on statins. I have read so much information in regards to the side effects of statins, especially the possible memory effects. Things are moving too slowly for myself and my family. This has also effected his job in construction. He had planned on retiring next year. Can anyone share their thoughts and opinions on statin use?? I am hoping that this is what is bringing the memory problems on and that with either going off zocor and trying a different statin or going on a lower dose his life with improve. From what I have read I think 20mg is too high for him. He has always maintained mild to moderate cholesterol levels. Thanks for you responses!!

concerned daughter

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 10:05 PM   #2
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: Statins use???

Have U or your mom asked the dr. to let him stop for awhile to see if things get better? I really hate it when drs. blame things on "age", especially at only 61. His problem could very well be the statin, as memory loss is a side effect. Seeing he does construction work, memory loss is definitely something he doesn't need, could be dangerous.

My hubby was on Lipitor for 7 years, had many side effects, especially muscle weakness and pain. We didn't have a computer at the time so I had no idea what some of these drugs can do, but sure do now. Due to his ailments he had to retire in 99, 3 years short of when he intended to. He no longer takes any statins, and both of us refuse to, although there are folks who do well on them, many don't.

Sounds like U are a very nice and concerned daughter, and think it is time for a talk with his dr. Seeing he is maintaining decent numbers, a lower dose may be just fine for him. My neighbors dad was on Lipitor and as soon as his dr. saw a decent improvement, he kept lowering the dose till everyone was happy, so it can be done.

I wish U and the family alot of luck, and hope it all turns out well...

Old 06-03-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think you might be overmanaging your father's heath. He obviously doesn't have Alzheimer's or he wouldn't be able to hold down a construction job at 61. I think the only job an Alzheimer sufferer can hold down is President of the U.S..
    He went to a neurologist a couple months ago and he found nothing and lots of 61 year olds don't sleep all that well.
    Know well what the cardiac risks are to a diabetic man who has had diabetes at least 9 years and is overweight...suffice to say, there is probably no group more in need of tight cholesterol control.

I thank God daily for the invention of the statin drugs and I am definitely in your father's demographic...but no diabetes, only proven cardiac arterial disease.

In the highly unlikely case that he DOES develop Alzheimer's (God forbid) or Parkinson's, remember the diseases were quite prevalent in the elderly before anyone took the first dose of [email protected], Zocor or Lipitor in the 1990's.

dak,
    Simvastatin (Zocor) is judged so safe that in the UK it is allowed to be sold in the 10 mg. dose without a prescription, almost unique among pharmaceuticals. Your father's 20 mg. dose is fairly small as well...most people take 40 mg.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-03-2005 at 08:17 AM.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:19 AM   #4
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I don't think she is trying to over manage her dad, just looking to get some answers. Just because he went to one dr. and nothing was conclusive, doesn't mean something else might not beable to be done.

Even if a million people take a certain drug with NO problem, doesn't mean the next person won't have a problem. I'm sure she is aware her dad needs meds. to control his diabetes and cholesterol, but the Zocor might not be for him. Discussing this with his dr. for either something else to try, or even stopping the stuff for awhile to see what happens isn't out of the question.

I know U love statins Lenin, but they aren't for everyone, and if her dad must take them, prehaps another kind would be in his best interest. At least having a good talk with the dr. might help all involved, as her mom did notice certain things 8 months into his taking them. Prehaps he might need some Co Q10, as we all know that statins do deplete the body of it.

To be honest, I think the gal is a very loving person to take an interest in her dad's health and want him to get even better. Yes at 61 there is going to be a few lil problems, but in todays world 61 isn't time to give up the ship. He should beable to not only have good health, but also a good QUALITY of life, and at present, it doesn't sound like his QUALITY is all that great!

Last edited by JJ; 06-03-2005 at 09:20 AM.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
    janeslk
    Veteran
    (female)

janeslk HB User

In my internet research on Lipitor I also read many posts concerning Zocar, a statin my father-in-law took until a month ago. I noticed many people reporting that Zocar, more so than Lipitor, seemed to be connected to memory loss and confusion. I would ask my father-in-law, but his short-term memory is almost completely gone.

Jane

Old 06-03-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

dak2005,

I'd say that there is a very REAL possibility that your father is experiencing cognitive problems from the Zocor. Dr. Beatrice Golomb, who is doing research on patients taking statins, has found that people experience significant adverse effects from these drugs. Among the most common: muscle pain and cognitive problems. In fact, Golomb said that statins may cause cognitive problems simply BECAUSE they lower cholesterol. "Cholesterol is the main organic molecule in the brain and constitutes over half the dry weight of the brain," Golomb says.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:54 PM   #7
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Dak,

Sounds to me like your dad could be suffering cognitive impairment induced by statins. Zocor is known to cross the blood-brain barrier. It is thought to impair the brain's glial cells from synthesizing cholesterol. Cholesterol is a vital substance in the body (despite what you've heard from mainstream medicine) and especially in the brain. I wouldn't doubt for a minute that interfering with cholesterol in the brain could cause memory loss...

Dr Beatrice Golomb is conducting a statin-study at UCSD - cognitive impairement is one of the known side-effects of statins which she is researching. Dr Duane Graveline also suspects that statins induces Transient Global Amnesia in some patients - he was hit with at least 2 episodes of TGA while on Lipitor.

Do some independent research on statin-induced cognitive impairement. I would recommend a test - have your father discontinue the statin and see if his memory improves.

Best of luck.

HubbleRules

Last edited by HubbleRules; 06-03-2005 at 11:04 PM.

Old 06-05-2005, 07:51 PM   #8
    dak2005
    (female)

dak2005 HB User

Thanks to all of the responses. Every little bit helps. I should probably clarify a few things. My Dad is not overweight, matter of fact there was a time when we thought he was too thin. He has done very well with his weight. I was home this weekend and sharing more information with my parents. I feel like I have to push them to continue.... they are so unsure of where else to go to visit a different doctor. Their health insurance seems to prevent them from going to very many places. I guess we have been so fortunate not to have health problems all of the years and we are overwelmed and nervous about what to do. I think my parents want to trust and believe in their doctor and I feel they need to present this new information I have found for them and go from there. I also think a different doctor should visit with him. Anyway.......I could go on forever. Anymore tidbits of information would be great. Thanks again.

Old 06-05-2005, 08:32 PM   #9
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dak2005,

Statins can be a nightmare for many people, my father included. Like your father, he is diabetic, and has been for nearly 40 years. He never had heart problems, but his doctor put him on 40mg Zocor. Well, that's when all the trouble started. He developed peripheral neuropathy in his left foot, which continuously awakened him in the middle of the night with sharp stabbing pains. Then his muscles began to hurt and he felt weak. It got to the point where he could hardly lift himself out of a chair. Finally he had had enough, and he quit taking Zocor. That was 3 or 4 years ago. He's doing better now. At least he is able to sleep at night. Believe me, it is not worth it to ignore these side-effects. It is only likely to get worse. It's not the end of the world if he stops taking this stuff. In fact, it may be all for the better. But to do nothing and continue to take this stuff will only make the problem worse.

Last edited by ARIZONA73; 06-05-2005 at 08:34 PM.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:29 AM   #10
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Arizona,

I agree - people who experience the side-effects of statins and ignore them, or listen to their doctor saying 'it couldn't be the statin', are playing with their health. The symptoms can get worse, and damage can be irreparable if they continue on the drug.

Most are intimidated by their doctors, and stay on the drug until their situation is much worse and chances for a recovery are much lower, or the recovery time is much longer.

My advice is for anyone on statins who experiences sudden chronic, unexplained muscle pain, weakness, tingling sensations, memory loss... is to stop the statin for a month or 2 and see if the symptoms go away. If they do, you have some reason to suspect the statin. If not, it is up to you whether to continue the statin or not.

One more bit of advice - if you are on a statin, please take CoQ10 supplements to reduce the risk of muscle pain and weakness.

HubbleRules

Old 06-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Dak,

These statins are the most wonderul thing in the world. When one considers that they can actually clean arteries they are a Godsend.

I take Vytorin, which is a mixture of Zocor and Zetia. I have had no problems nor cognitive disfunction at all. As a matter of fact my cognitive functions are clearer and better than ever! Just as Hubbles

The doc told me I probably only need it for a few years to clean out the arteries. Then perhaps I will go off.

But of course if your Dad is experiencing side affects THAT is another story. My Doc told me that 97% of people on Statins never have a problem.

Memory loss at 61 is not uncommon. Most people experiene memory loss even earlier although it is not disabling.
    What I would look for first is THYROID problems. Underactive thyroid CAN induce memory problems. At it does tend to run with many people who have diabetes. Even if it is borderline it could be a problem. Thyroid affects alot of things including sleep.

Last edited by Stumper; 06-07-2005 at 08:55 PM.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #12
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

What? Statins are the most wonderful thing in the world, and they clean out arteries????!!! Should I laugh now, or are there even more ludicrous claims?

Old 06-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #13
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

When my husband had his arteries cleaned in 94 he was also told he had a slight blockage on his right side. After the cleaning, he was put on Lipitor and a couple of other statins for 7 yrs. Due to rotten side effects he stopped taking them a few years ago. In Jan. of this year, he had a Mibi stress test and it still shows that slight blockage, so I guess the STATINS didn't clean anything, or that blockage would have been gone.....

BTW, it is the SAME blockage, in the same spot, so please don't try and say he built up blockage due to getting off statins. Where he had the arteries cleaned, is still fine, and he has been off statins for years.

Old 06-08-2005, 05:12 PM   #14
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
    What? Statins are the most wonderful thing in the world, and they clean out arteries????!!! Should I laugh now, or are there even more ludicrous claims?

Then will you please explain to my why there is so many natural supplements on the market CLAIMING to clean out blocked arteries?

Old 06-08-2005, 05:30 PM   #15
    dak2005
    (female)

dak2005 HB User

Hello again..... thanks for the responses. I have looked into the thyroid possibility with my Dad. All winter I really thought that was it. So many kinds of diseases have similiar symptoms. My Grandmother, Dad's mom has an underactive thryorid. My Dad has had 2 tests and both came back normal. I questioned it too. He is super tired almost all of the time. I wanted another test but it hasn't been pursued. I really think that statins effect every person differently and I don't doubt that they are beneficial to many people. My Dad may not be one that can take them. Or he may need a different statin. My parents have been in excellent health for many years. Dad has never been on any kind of medication until metformin and zocor which he started at about the same time.( 2 years ago) He doesn't even get headaches and hardly has ever taken aspirins, which now an aspirin a day is a good thing. That's why all of the this has been so difficult. My parents don't have internet access so I am taking the oldest daughter role and trying to help. They are overwelmed with everything that I find. I am just looking for answers and support. I really appreciate it. My parents went back to the doctor earlier this week and my Mom brought all of my information that I have gathered and I think this time they will take a look at it and take my parents concerns seriously.

thanks again..

Closed Thread