It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Four Month Test Study To Reduce LDL -- Success!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
    JimBBB
    Inactive
    (male)

JimBBB HB User
    Four Month Test Study To Reduce LDL -- Success!

Back in March I had mentioned that I was struggling with some roller-coaster LDL levels that were knocking my TC out of the ball park and had started a modified DASH Diet regimen that removed mixed nuts and replaced those with Peanuts-in-shell. Also eliminated eggs and bacon. Also eventually switched to NotButter (I Can't Believe it's ...) although had been using a canola-based margarine anyways.
    So the history for the last year was like this:
    (mostly peanuts here -- but mixed nuts occasionally)
    06/07/2004 TC:204 HDL:90 LDL:107 TG:37
    (switched over to mixed nuts/almonds when new Supermarket came to town).
    11/02/2004 TC:260 (at Health Fair at work).
    11/09/2004 TC:288 HDL:91 LDL:179 TG:91
    (cut out eggs/bacon/sat fats at this point -- still mixed nuts/pistachios and NOT much peanuts)
    02/07/2005 TC:261 HDL:91 LDL:163 TG:33
    (switched from mixed nuts/almonds/pistachio to Peanuts)
    06/15/2005 TC:206 HDL:88 LDL:107 TG:55

So, I am now back where I started a year ago -- give or take a few digits. One additional factor that could be a significant factor is that my exercise levels spike in May-Sept when outdoor volleyball season starts up -- often 60+ mins per day and two days a week it can be 180 mins. Also I do a Steps program where now i do 20,000 steps a day (mostly running in place plus other). This is even on the 180 min vball days All that might be making LDL seasonally cyclical for me. I suppose I won't know for sure about that until I do another panel in November again.

I keep daily journals of servings of everything I eat (plus exercise info) so it can be fairly easy to go back and see what might be different during any period. Other recent particulars per day are as follows:
    Grains/Breads/Cereals 7-8 servings (some white/mostly whole grain)
    Fruits 5+ servings
    Vegs 4+ servings
    Dairy 2 servings (some lo-fat, some regular)
    Meat/Fish/Poultry 1-2 servings
    Nuts/seeds/Legumes 1-2+ servings (peanuts/pumpkin seeds).
    Fats 3-4 servings (NotButter, Olive, Canola Oil)
    Sweets 2-3 servings (Jams,Honey,Choc/various)

I am tall so I can afford a large calorie budget per day (and all the above does not even reach it really). That is a diet/weight control secret -- be tall and exercise like hell.

On with the NEXT 4 month study .... more of the same.

jim

Last edited by JimBBB; 07-04-2005 at 08:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2005, 05:16 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Four Month Test Study To Reduce LDL -- Success!

jim,

So basically, you are condemning nuts as perahaps the world's largest LDL raiser and peanuts as our salvation. Do I read your emphasis right?
    God, how much of your diet consists of nuts/peanuts...I rarely eat either more often than a couple ounces a week. But then I'm dieting (lightly) and neither is a good diet food because of the caloric concentration.
    In general though, I'd expect legumes to be a better class of foods than nuts but any result this dramatic would surprise me a lot.

How big are your 1-2+ servings of peanut/nut/pumkin seeds?

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt next time we host a poker game and someone brings mixed nuts...I'll wait 'til everyone cherry picks all the brazils/pecans/almonds and cashews.....hmmm, the HELL I will.

What other changes have you made that MIGHT account for that large swing up and swing back? Were your weight, exercise level, and alcohol intake constant.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-03-2005 at 05:21 AM.

Old 07-03-2005, 06:44 PM   #3
    JimBBB
    Inactive
    (male)

JimBBB HB User

Lenin,
    I do have quite a varied diet so it is tough to pin it down to one thing or another, but the peanuts-in-shell vs mixed nuts was one thing that did stand out. (not cocktail peanuts roasted in oil -- yeah those would be bad). A serving of peanuts-in-shell for me is one large handful. I just checked and that is 1 cup (including shells) -- probably 1/3-1/2 cup shelled?

As i mentioned, exercise levels are up in the spring/summer, but you can see the Oct-Nov average was higher than this spring and nearly as high as last spring and yet Nov reading was the worst LDL reading. I participate in a Healthlink sponsored 'LEAP' program to track exercise so I have records of all that for over a year as well. For the weeks leading up to each panel the activity levels looks something like this:

06/07/2004 (3 wks avg) 938 mins/wk 134mins/day
    11/09/2004 (7 wks avg) 929 mins/wk 132mins/day
    02/07/2005 (7 wks avg) 539 mins/wk 77mins/day
    06/15/2005 (7 wks avg) 873 mins/wk 124mins/day

Exercise can be almost any activity Vball, Walking, Hiking, Weights, Yardwork, DiscGolf, SnowShoveling -- stuff like that.

So the middle of winter did put a dent in exercise, but the LDL was starting to go down then anyways. So I don't see a direct relation between exercise and LDL -- in fact i don't see much of any relation -- that is actually a little perplexing since exercise is always touted as a way to help improve levels -- maybe it only helps keep HDL higher?

Thank you for commenting and asking questions -- it prompts me to continue looking at the data to see what else might be in there.

jim

Last edited by JimBBB; 07-04-2005 at 08:12 PM.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    God, how much of your diet consists of nuts/peanuts.
    Well, I'm not Jim, but I had to laugh at this comment. You see, less than two weeks ago, I bought a one-pound jar of unsalted, dry roasted peanuts. I looked at it the next day and saw that it was almost half gone. In less than 24 hours! Good thing I'm not on a diet, but that still is far more saturated fat than I should be eating! I've tried to be a bit more cautious since, but I have finished that jar plus eaten about three-fourths pound of cashews since, still more than I really should eat.

Old 07-04-2005, 05:47 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Uff-da,

I too am like a vacuum cleaner whenever peanuts or nuts are around. I buy a can.jar and they are gone the next day. I look at the total calories in the whole shebang and almost FAIN. Since I've been dieting for the last 60 days I have succumbed only twice...once Mixed Nuts and the other, Pecans, but my guilt was lessened because at least I didn't BUY them, someone BROUGHT them over.
    I held strong last week at ShopRite...1 POUND jars of planter's Dry Roasted Peanuts...2/$2. I walked past them about 5 times but DID make it out of the store empty handed <patting self on back.>

Jim,
    Best but bizarrrest theory I can come up with is that, like a Polar Bear, you store bloodfat in your arteries during the Winter and then use the fat up in June...during the mating season! I really doubt that a handful of peanuts-in-shell would make that much of an LDL difference lest PFIZER would be selling then for a couple bucks each.
    My hat is off to your data-keeping.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-04-2005 at 05:53 AM.

Old 07-04-2005, 07:32 AM   #6
    janeslk
    Veteran
    (female)

janeslk HB User

M husband used to consume a lot of peanuts. It was an obsession with him while he was on statins. e would order 2lb bags of them. During my research I found they are a source of Co 10 Enzyme so his body may have been trying to tell him something. I have noticed he is not consuming as many since he went off Lipitor. Just a totally unscientific observation.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:46 AM   #7
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Hmm, that's interesting. Sometimes cravings for certain foods are our body's way of telling us something. But to put things into perspective, in order to obtain the equivalent of 30mg CoQ10, one would have to eat one pound of sardines, two pounds of beef, or two and one-half pounds of peanuts!

Old 07-04-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
    janeslk
    Veteran
    (female)

janeslk HB User

Hmm, that's interesting. Sometimes cravings for certain foods are our body's way of telling us something. But to put things into perspective, in order to obtain the equivalent of 30mg CoQ10, one would have to eat one pound of sardines, two pounds of beef, or two and one-half pounds of peanuts!

Well, he definitely did not crave sardines, but he did eat two pounds of peanuts a week.

Old 07-04-2005, 05:05 PM   #9
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
    It must be NUT month or something, as we seem to be eating more then normal also. LOL I very seldom eat many, but 2 weeks ago I bought a 2 lb tin of them, and the other day bought another one. Don't want to overdo, as although they are good for U, not good for the waistline.

I do believe the body is trying to tell us something when we crave a certain food, as once in awhile I will really crave chips for no reason. It will last maybe a day or 2, then I won't touch one for a month????? I am not a salt lover, so maybe at that time my body needs some.

Hope the 4th was a good one, we got tons of yard work done after all this heat and humidity made everything out of control. Oh well, now I can relax, as the place doesn't look like a jungle anymore....

Old 07-04-2005, 05:35 PM   #10
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

It is my personal belief that nearly anything (edible)in its natural form is good for you.
    When one looks at peanuts and George Washington Carver inventing 100's of uses for them, then they are indeed magical in and of themselves. Those natural 'monosaturated' fats (in a shell) is probably what lowered your LDL, (my opinion). I am growing to believe that if we lower the LDL our HDL will rise automatically. Its kind of like the HDL goes "under duress" when to much LDL is present and it gets used up. Once LDL is lowered there is more HDL to spare. I seem to be seeing this with my cardiocheck.

The ADDED oils in some of these nuts are problematic in my opinion.

Last edited by Stumper; 07-04-2005 at 05:44 PM.

Old 07-04-2005, 05:36 PM   #11
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JJ,

I don't know how true it is, but I believe that I once heard that a craving for nuts is common in people who are under stress. I eat them quite often myself, usually three or four times a week. They're a lot like potato chips. Once you start eating them, you don't know when to stop. My favorite is Planter's lightly salted mixed nuts. I honestly don't worry about how many of them I eat. Besides, they're heart-healthy. As far as the calories are concerned, that doesn't concern me either, since I don't gain weight easily.

I hope you enjoyed the fine weather we had this weekend. But I can now feel the humidity creeping back up, and it's becoming rather uncomfortable again.

Old 07-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Stumper,

I'm not quite sure about LDL, but I know that when triglycerides are lowered, HDL tends to increase.

Old 07-04-2005, 05:59 PM   #13
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
    Stumper,

I'm not quite sure about LDL, but I know that when triglycerides are lowered, HDL tends to increase.

Good point and worth noting and watching.

With the Vytorin that I take it blocks bad LDL cholesterol from food in the intestinal tract. Although I have not changed my diet during some tests LDL drops dramatically and HDL goes up with a full 10/20 Mg. dose. So, the LDL was blocked allowing the HDL to recover. A theory, but factual as well.

Perhaps rather than worrying how to raise HDL we should be seeing how to reduce LDL. Perhaps, just maybe, we have it in reverse.

Old 07-04-2005, 06:04 PM   #14
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Perhaps, just maybe, this is why Lecithin might work so well. That stuff is sticky BIG TIME. When I took my mothers from a bottle it was like swallowing light grease. It may, just may, be coating the intestinal tract blocking bad cholesterol absorbtion from food.

My wife had a paper from Curves that said if you take so much lecithin everyday cholesterol WILL drop, period. There was no ifs ands or buts about it. But I have not tried it to tell, and I cannot find the paper although I am sure I can get one.

Last edited by Stumper; 07-04-2005 at 06:07 PM.

Old 07-04-2005, 07:31 PM   #15
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    JJ,

I don't know how true it is, but I believe that I once heard that a craving for nuts is common in people who are under stress. I eat them quite often myself, usually three or four times a week. They're a lot like potato chips. Once you start eating them, you don't know when to stop. My favorite is Planter's lightly salted mixed nuts. I honestly don't worry about how many of them I eat. Besides, they're heart-healthy. As far as the calories are concerned, that doesn't concern me either, since I don't gain weight easily.

I hope you enjoyed the fine weather we had this weekend. But I can now feel the humidity creeping back up, and it's becoming rather uncomfortable again.
    Hmmm, well I know I ain't under any stress right now, so who knows. Your right, they are like chips, ya just can't eat one. I usually have a few during late afternoon and some in the evening, so I know I won't overdo. The tin I got is the Planter's Mixed nuts, only ones I don't like are the Macadamia ones, just not my cup of tea. I dig out the Cashews, Walnuts and love the peanuts. I want to lose 8 lbs to be at my goal, so I take it easy. Geez, wish I was 45 again so I didn't have to watch anything I ate....

Yes, we enjoyed this great weather, it was so nice to get out, even if it was doing yard work. Took a ride tonight, and saw tons of fireworks all over the place, then I watched some of Macy's on tv, they always do a nice job. Guess they said wed. our humidity will be coming back along with a few showers. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Enjoy the rest of the evening, and CYL....

Closed Thread