It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• info please?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2005, 05:28 AM   #1
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

starsofglass HB User
    Question info please?

I'm a newbie where cholesterol is concerned... I have some questions.

I know about LDL and HDL, but what are triglycerides? What do they do? How do these get elevated?

I've read that eliminating carbs can lower cholesterol. I never heard that before. How does this work exactly?
    How about eggs? How do they influence LDL and HDL?

My stats: 22y/o woman. My cholesterol is supposedly too high.
    Total cholesterol: 195
    HDL: 77
    LDL: 100
    Trigl.: 90

These seem excellent to me, no? In any case, I'm not at all worried, just curious.
    A little math: 195 minus 77 minus 100 = 18. What kind of cholesterol is this?

Is the HDL/LDL ratio all that matters? Or is high LDL, no matter what the ratio, always a concern? And how about extremely high total cholesterol, but normal LDL?

I've also heard that the "allowed" levels of cholesterol have decreased significantly over the last few years. My parents remember that 10 years ago 300 was the limit, not 190...

Thanx for your answers...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2005, 07:07 AM   #2
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
    Re: info please?

You certainly don't have anything to worry about, because overall your numbers are excellent. I believe that ratios are far more important than a single cholesterol number. As a general rule of thumb, use this guide to determine how well balanced your lipid profile is:

TC/HDL.....ratio should be 4.0 or less. Yours is 2.53

LDL/HDL....ratio should be 2.5 or less. Yours is 1.30

Trig/HDL....ratio of 2.0 is borderline normal. A ratio approaching 1.0 is considered ideal. Yours is 1.17, which is excellent.

This is how total cholesterol is calculated:

TC = HDL + LDL + (trigs/5)

Triglycerides contribute towards cholesterol in the form of very low density lipoproteins, or VLDL. Triglycerides are very small, light fat particles that have only a tiny bit of protein attached to them. Your body sends some of your triglycerides to your muscles for energy but stores most of it as body fat. Triglycerides are made in the liver, where they are converted into very low-density lipoproteins. Your VLDL goes up along with your triglyceride level and may be just as dangerous, since these particles get denser as they circulate in your blood until they turn into LDL cholesterol.

What makes triglycerides so dangerous is that, in large amounts, they thicken your blood and keep it from flowing easily through your blood vessels. When blood that should flow like water turns sludgy from too many triglycerides, it forms clots and can clog your blood vessels. This can result in a blockage in the arteries feeding your heart, leading to a heart attack. In order to keep your triglyceride levels low, don't eat a lot of high carb foods, especially high glycemic index foods such as sugar, breads, pastries, pasta, chips, and snacks.

I wouldn't worry about eating eggs. Much of the negative propaganda surrounding eggs was based on bad science, as a result of studies which were sponsored by the Cereal Institute more than 60 years ago. They determined that dried, oxidized egg yolk powder caused heart disease. Dried egg yolk powder is toxic to the arteries. But people do not eat eggs in this form, so therfore these early studies are invalid. Eggs are probably one of the perfect foods, and shouldn't be avoided. They are also very high in lecithin, a fat emulsifier. For the majority of people, eggs have a negligible impact on cholesterol levels.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

starsofglass HB User

Wow, suddenly I feel much smarter... Thanks for the info!

I still don't see the link between triglyceride and high GI foods, I mean the scientific explanation behind it, but I'll see what google says about that...

One more question... I heard that a cholesterol test should be done after 12 hours of fasting. My blood was tested only 2 hours after eating. How big of an impact could this have had on the results?

Old 07-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Foods high on the glycemic index, mainly refined or simple carbohydrates, are known to cause an excessive outpouring of insulin, which in turn raises the triglyceride level.

People who don't fast prior to having blood drawn are more likely to have skewed triglyceride readings, meaning that these readings would probably be higher than what they would be if the person fasted for a safe period of time. I don't know how much of an effect a two hour fast would have, as opposed to a twelve hour fast. It may depend a lot on what you've eaten, and how much.

Old 07-24-2005, 02:57 AM   #5
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

starsofglass HB User

So only the triglyceride reading could be skewed? I'm not sure what I ate... I think whole grain bread with cold cuts and cheese, 4 slices of bread I'm guessing. And orange juice, 1-2 glasses.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:06 AM   #6
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I think that triglyceride levels would be affected the most, and cholesterol to a lesser degree, since about one-fifth of your triglycerides contribute towards cholesterol in the form of VLDL. One other thing that could be adversely affected is blood sugar levels. To be on the safe side, it's always best to fast overnight and have your blood drawn in the morning. But in your case, I wouldn't be too concerned, since your numbers appear to be excellent. Apparently a sufficient amount of time has passed as to not have negatively impacted your numbers.

Old 07-24-2005, 07:27 AM   #7
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

starsofglass HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
    One other thing that could be adversely affected is blood sugar levels. To be on the safe side, it's always best to fast overnight and have your blood drawn in the morning.
    The cholesterol thing wasn't really the reason of the blood test, just something "on the side" so that's probably why I didn't have to have it done on an empty stomach. And glucose level was also well within limits, but also just something examined "on the side".
    On empty stomach my results might have been even better :-)
    In any case thanx for the info :-)

Last edited by starsofglass; 07-24-2005 at 07:28 AM.

Old 12-10-2005, 02:27 AM   #8
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

starsofglass HB User

I just went to my doctor to get the results from some old blood tests. I saw that in February 2004 my cholesterol was a lot lower than in the more recent test in July 2005. The weird thing is: my diet is pretty much the same. One issue though: the most recent test was taken only a few hours after having eaten lunch.

February 2004
    total 150
    Triglycerides 37
    (no HDL, LDL numbers)

July 2005
    Total 195
    HDL: 77
    LDL: 100
    Trigl.: 90

The lower trigs (probably because of fasting?) account for 10 points less total cholesterol, but what about the rest?
    Could HDL and LDL be so strongly affected by not fasting? If so, which would be most likely to be highly affected, HDL or LDL?

Closed Thread