It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Beer and Coffee

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-31-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
    darock_sayz
    (male)

darock_sayz HB User
    Beer and Coffee

Coffee and Beer

Would the 2 beverages above have any effect on my Cholestoral numbers ? I have pretty high LDL and looking to decrease. I drink 5 cups of coffee a week no cream, but on the beer probably have 12 to 15 a week

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 03:40 PM   #2
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User
    Re: Beer and Coffee

Well I was reading up on studies on coffee and cholesterol awhile back and even brought that up on this board before. Coffee alone brewed in the coffee pot should not cause high cholesterol if you have it without creamer and suger and have a couple cups of coffee a day. From the sounds of it, you dont drink that much coffee. On the other hand perhaps the amount of beer is raising the cholesterol? You have to look at your whole diet and consider oils that you may cook with---and go straight for cooking with extra virgin olive oil. Consider the meats you eat, are they lean? Do you eat a lot of fat foods? Need to cut down. Eating oatmeal helps too. What has your doctor suggested for you? Do you take medications?
    WF

Old 08-31-2005, 06:45 PM   #3
    darock_sayz
    (male)

darock_sayz HB User

when i'm on 10 mg lipitor no problem, when I go off it seems for the most part LDL spikes....just trying to find things in my diet. My diet for the most part is good, my cholesteral is heridatary so I'm thinking diet will only take me so far.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
    cathyinto
    Inactive

cathyinto HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by darock_sayz
    Coffee and Beer

Would the 2 beverages above have any effect on my Cholestoral numbers ? I have pretty high LDL and looking to decrease. I drink 5 cups of coffee a week no cream, but on the beer probably have 12 to 15 a week
    Watch the beer, as it may raise the LDL

Old 09-02-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Beer raises LDL? That's a new one on me. Do you have a source? Beer and all alcohol (at a high enough quantity) raise blood pressure and raise HDL, but I've never heard of it raising LDL, too.

This from a government source: http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:STQ5PhJrrZ0J:www.nchpdp.m ed.va.gov/MonthlyPreventionTopics/2005_02

Quote:
    Should I drink a glass or two of wine with dinner to prevent heart disease?

Moderate alcohol intake (about one drink a day for women and two drinks a day for men) is associated with decreased risk of coronary heart disease and heart attacks. This is apparently true of all types of alcohol (beer, white and red wine, liquors) and not just red wine. However, if you do not drink now, do not start drinking.

Although alcohol raises HDL (“good”) cholesterol, it is not clear that this is the way in which alcohol decreases risk of heart attacks. Alcohol should never be used simply as a “medication” to raise HDL or to prevent heart disease.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

I really get a kick out of all these reports which support the beneficial effects of alcohol on heart health. But then they go on to say that if you don't currently drink, then don't start. Huh?? . They make it sound like some kind of command. I think that the majority of people are quite capable of making up their own minds.

Closed Thread