It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



High Cholesterol Message Board

  • Can someone please look at my numbers?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 10-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
    lauralu2000
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    lauralu2000's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 157
    lauralu2000 HB User
    Can someone please look at my numbers?

    Hello everyone. I had a physical a few weeks agao and was told I now need to have my chloesteral checked every year because of my numbers.

    She said they were inching up most likley due to age? I'm 40.

    So here they are and anyone who is expereinced in knowing what they mean oculd you please tell me. Thank-you

    Total cholesteral 198, tryglycerides 187, LDL 126, HDL 35

    Iam also needing to shed some poundage and get more active. I know this and Iam making those changes.
    My mother got Diabetes when she was in her late 50"s and I don't want to end up going down that road. I don't want to have a heart attack either. But the diabetes scares me as well.

    So could anyone tell me, in their opinion, if these look like they are heading into a bad zone? Thank-you

    Last edited by lauralu2000; 10-17-2005 at 04:08 PM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 10-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    JJ's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2000
    Location: Ct.
    Posts: 3,693
    JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: Can someone please look at my numbers?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lauralu2000
    Hello everyone. I had a physical a few weeks agao and was told I now need to have my chloesteral checked every year because of my numbers.

    She said they were inching up most likley due to age? I'm 40.

    So here they are and anyone who is expereinced in knowing what they mean oculd you please tell me. Thank-you

    Total cholesteral 198, tryglycerides 187, LDL 126, HDL 35

    Iam also needing to shed some poundage and get more active. I know this and Iam making those changes.
    My mother got Diabetes when she was in her late 50"s and I don't want to end up going down that road. I don't want to have a heart attack either. But the diabetes scares me as well.

    So could anyone tell me, in their opinion, if these look like they are heading into a bad zone? Thank-you
    Your numbers are very similar to mine, TC..198 LDL..126..HDL...43...Tigs...146

    Your's aren't too out of whack, but U need to try and get your HDL up, that is the good cholesterol. Mine use to be up in the high 50's low 60's, have no idea why mine is getting low??? Your Trigs. need lowering also, but usually with exercise, which will help the HDL also and staying away from alot of carbs., sugar and processed foods, should bring those Trigs. down.

    Don't know what your diet is like, but definitely add more fruits and veggies, especially low glycemic things. Do a web search on low glycemic foods and U will beable to eat more of the good ones then bad, even some fruits are high on the glycemic chart. I'm sure others will come on and give ya alot of good ideas. If U don't do this already, it helped me...Eat Oatmeal, take a 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon each day, it also helps keep the blood sugar stable, and try some green tea. 5 months ago I started with the tea and cinnamon, and it dropped my TC from 239 to 198 and my LDL from 161 to 126. Other's on here said it helped their Trigs. also, so far no luck on mine, but we are still trying. BTW..I like the Bigelow with lemon tea, as the rest were a lil bitter.

    Best of luck......

    Last edited by JJ; 10-17-2005 at 05:46 PM.

     
    Old 10-17-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    NHone's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Posts: 1,067
    NHone HB User
    Re: Can someone please look at my numbers?

    You shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you follow a diet that assumes you are predisposed to diabetes, I would suspect you shouldn't have a problem. Don't take cholessterol medications just because they now tell you that all diabetics should be on statins. That is just a blatant lie. In seriously ill diabetics, it has been shown to increase stokes considerably. JJ was right on the foods that you should eat. If your doctors ever want you to go on statins (or any cholesterol lowering medication) to prevent a heart attack, don't. Just read their labels. They all soid not shown to prevent heart disease or stroke, (somewhere in the fine print).

     
    Old 10-17-2005, 09:16 PM   #4
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    JJ's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2000
    Location: Ct.
    Posts: 3,693
    JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: Can someone please look at my numbers?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by finres
    You shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you follow a diet that assumes you are predisposed to diabetes, I would suspect you shouldn't have a problem. Don't take cholessterol medications just because they now tell you that all diabetics should be on statins. That is just a blatant lie. In seriously ill diabetics, it has been shown to increase stokes considerably. JJ was right on the foods that you should eat. If your doctors ever want you to go on statins (or any cholesterol lowering medication) to prevent a heart attack, don't. Just read their labels. They all soid not shown to prevent heart disease or stroke, (somewhere in the fine print).
    Yup, it is that fine print, that U need a magnifying glass to read that gives U all the good, the bad and the ugly.......

    I'm not a statin lover, so I do the best I can with exercise and diet. I'm sure if lauralu goes on a new diet and gets exercise, she probably will do fine, as her numbers aren't all that bad. Getting that HDL up is a problem with alot of folks, but they say a glass of wine a day, and exercise is very good for getting it higher. I think mine was higher before, due to the fact I was working and always on the go. Since I retired, I've been a weeeee bit slack on the ole exercise....BAD JJ!!!

    Take care, and good luck......

     
    Old 10-18-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
    lauralu2000
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    lauralu2000's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 157
    lauralu2000 HB User
    Re: Can someone please look at my numbers?

    Hey everyone...thanks for your input and great ideas and insight. I have been eating oatmeal for breakfast off and on for the past month. I have been eating it with alittle skim milk but now that I know about the cinnimon Im going to add that as well. I love cinnimon on my oatmeal however I had been thinking it to be along the lines of added sugar so I left it out. So good to know!!

    Also tea.... Im use to drink alot of tea I will be adding green tea back in.

    I will do the search concerning the friuts too. We are always told to get our fruit in...not knowing some are bad and should be avoided or eaten less often anyway. I do not get much fruits in. Im better on the vegatables. Gonna have to step up to the plate!

    I have alot of Googling to do it seems....

    Oh yes and excersie...I know with my mom having diabetes it's a huge factor and deffiantely needs to get done. I know I feel much better in all aspects of my mind and body when I do. Anxiety takes a hike and I just feel better all around. Just have to remember that after excesise feeling ...


    Thank-you everyone! Cheers to a new way of eating!!! It's about time ..nothing like waiting until life is almost half over to make a change though. But maybe...better late than sorry?

     
    Old 10-18-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    JJ's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2000
    Location: Ct.
    Posts: 3,693
    JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: Can someone please look at my numbers?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lauralu2000
    Hey everyone...thanks for your input and great ideas and insight. I have been eating oatmeal for breakfast off and on for the past month. I have been eating it with alittle skim milk but now that I know about the cinnimon Im going to add that as well. I love cinnimon on my oatmeal however I had been thinking it to be along the lines of added sugar so I left it out. So good to know!!

    Also tea.... Im use to drink alot of tea I will be adding green tea back in.

    I will do the search concerning the friuts too. We are always told to get our fruit in...not knowing some are bad and should be avoided or eaten less often anyway. I do not get much fruits in. Im better on the vegatables. Gonna have to step up to the plate!

    I have alot of Googling to do it seems....

    Oh yes and excersie...I know with my mom having diabetes it's a huge factor and deffiantely needs to get done. I know I feel much better in all aspects of my mind and body when I do. Anxiety takes a hike and I just feel better all around. Just have to remember that after excesise feeling ...


    Thank-you everyone! Cheers to a new way of eating!!! It's about time ..nothing like waiting until life is almost half over to make a change though. But maybe...better late than sorry?
    Hey, better late then never right? I never knew about the cinnamon till Frankie (heart44) mentioned it on here. That is why I like to read this site, U sometimes really pick up some good advice. I am very, very sensative to meds., so I didn't do well on statins at all, so I have to try like crazy to do it with diet and exercise. Like they say, never too old to find out about new things. Even if mine was a fluke, at least it kept the dr. off my back for awhile. I have to go see her next month, and she is one of these that likes the cholesterol checked every 3 months, I don't, so we are going to have to have a lil talk. I know people on statins that don't get it checked but every 6 months. Like I told her, she may never see my numbers that good again, as I am always borderline high. They make me nuts with these new guidelines they shove at us about once a year, get a grip!!! My husband had his arteries cleaned in 94, took Lipitor for years and then started having problems, plus he is now type 2 diabetic, yet his regular dr. and his cardio man don't try to shove pills on him. They know he had problems, and just check him every 6 or 7 months. Like the cardio guy said, if his quality of life is messed up by meds., then they aren't worth taking. Oh the joys of getting older, don't lose it....

    Have a good one, and good luck.....

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    autoimmune disease? please help sadiebabie Thyroid Disorders 8 06-08-2010 09:38 AM
    Worried, please help, daughters liver enzymes elevated...WHY? Starkels Liver & Pancreas Disorders 7 04-16-2010 02:16 PM
    Can someone tell me what my blood test numbers reveal? LilE1977 Thyroid Disorders 10 05-16-2008 08:42 AM
    SOMEONE PLEASE please help me rgrantus87 Acid Reflux / GERD 6 01-24-2007 09:25 PM
    can someone please explain sugar levels to me.. JustDave4now Diabetes 6 07-14-2006 04:36 PM
    Can someone please help to understand these lab results...MEEP...Anyone in the know girlygirly Thyroid Disorders 8 12-23-2003 04:49 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 PM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!