It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• red yeast rice/zetia/niacin hexanicotinate results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
    running_guy

running_guy HB User
    red yeast rice/zetia/niacin hexanicotinate results

Have been on the following for 6 months:

Niacin heanicotinate 500 mg am and pm
    red yeast rice 600 mg am and pm
    zetia 10 mg am

Lipids:

tc 167
    ldl 76
    hdl 78
    tg 65

Seems to be a winning combo.....last ldl was 94 and hdl was 61 without zetia. Zetia seems to work with no side effects.

Last edited by running_guy; 10-18-2005 at 04:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: red yeast rice/zetia/niacin hexanicotinate results

Quote:
    Originally Posted by running_guy
    Have been on the following for 6 months:

Niacin heanicotinate 500 mg am and pm
    red yeast rice 600 mg am and pm
    zetia 10 mg am

Lipids:

tc 167
    ldl 76
    hdl 78
    tg 65

Seems to be a winning combo.....last ldl was 94 and hdl was 61 without zetia. Zetia seems to work with no side effects.
    Man, those numbers are low, great HDL though. Is your dr. aware U are taking all these things together, as it almost looks like overkill. JMHO

Old 10-18-2005, 07:30 PM   #3
    running_guy

running_guy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJ
    Man, those numbers are low, great HDL though. Is your dr. aware U are taking all these things together, as it almost looks like overkill. JMHO

Yes, he knows. The niacin is for high Lp(a). This dosage of niacin pulled it right into range. He tried to get me to take Lipitor in place of the red yeast rice.....LOL

Old 10-18-2005, 09:32 PM   #4
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by running_guy
    Yes, he knows. The niacin is for high Lp(a). This dosage of niacin pulled it right into range. He tried to get me to take Lipitor in place of the red yeast rice.....LOL
    Ok, as long as he is aware of it. Can't see why he would want U to take the Lipitor if the RYR is working, but oh yeah, he can't write a prescription for RYR. Gee, with numbers as low as U have, I wonder if U just took the Zetia and Niacin would be enough? I just have never seen anyone with numbers that low, so I wonder if they could be too low. Oh well, as long as U have the results U want, guess U got your combo down......

Best wishes......

Old 10-18-2005, 10:50 PM   #5
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

What was your Lp(a)...I didn't see it, before and after. Better be careful with that combination, RYR is a natural statin, and behaves like a statin. Statins and niacin don't go well together. You're getting your cholesterol awfully low. There was nothing wrong with you HDL and LDL numbers before.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
    running_guy

running_guy HB User

Thanks for the comments folks. There seems to be much speculation on niacin hexanicotinate and its effect on Lp(a). My Lp(a) was 15 by the VAP method (about equal to 30 to 45 with the commonly used method). After being on NHN for 6 months my Lp(a) was 15 by the commonly used method. If I get an extra $150, I might get another VAP.

My doctor said I should keep my ldl under 70 as long as I have calcium in my coronary arteries. That is why he is pushing Lipitor. He was very impressed with the RYR/zetia combination results. He said I could continue that combination is I wished to do so.

My doctor is a vegetarian and his tc is 110 with an ldl of 30!!!!!!! That's overkill to the max....can you say depression?

Old 10-19-2005, 09:28 PM   #7
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Cholesterol lowering medications have been shown to build up calcium in the coronary arteries. Please check out the Lipitor. Mother is in a wheelchair because of it. (just an added note: I wouldn't argue with my doctor too much. people with low cholesterol, are know to be depressed, suicidal, and violent...) This is a joke about your docotr...but the low cholesterol side effects are real. You might want to check out the statin study at UCSD.

Closed Thread