It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Zocor better than Lipitor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
    mghealth
    (male)

mghealth HB User
    Lightbulb Zocor better than Lipitor

I found an article on Reuters today titled "Lipitor fails to beat Zocor in heart study".

This may be of interest to some of you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2005, 07:42 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Zocor better than Lipitor

mg,

Not exactly the whole picture:
    Quote:
    "High doses of Pfizer Inc.'s cholesterol-lowering drug Lipitor failed to help heart-attack patients much more than moderate doses of rival Zocor, made by Merck & Co., "researchers said on Tuesday."

Instances of death, acute heart attack or cardiac arrest requiring resuscitation occurred in 10.4 percent of the Zocor group and 9.3 percent of the high-dose group, differences not considered statistically significant, researchers said.

The 80-milligram Lipitor group, however, did show a statistically highly significant reduction in non-fatal heart attacks and strokes compared to patients taking 20 mg to 40 mg of Zocor, the study found. But those were only secondary goals of the study.

Non-fatal heart attacks were reduced by 17 percent in the group taking Lipitor, the world's top-selling drug with annual sales approaching $12 billion."
    The BACKGROUND though is wonderfully amusing. Pfizer is going NUTS trying to avoid a huge switch to generic simvastatin when Zocor goes generic next year. So there will be MANY attempts to make Lipitor look better...funny stuff!

Anyhoo, I think that 10 milligram Lipitor is almost fully equivalent to 20 milligram Zocor and I'll take whatever I can get at the lowest price...free is good but that's another story...gotta keep SOME secrets!

Has anyone seen a date for the generic simvastatin? (I hope Merck doesn;t throw a $$jilliion at Congress and get a "dispensation for consideration."

The Following User Says Thank You to Lenin For This Useful Post:
    djc4294 (04-04-2011)
    Closed Thread