It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Something positive about Statins?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2005, 06:16 AM   #1
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
    Something positive about Statins?

Something positive but I'm not sure the other sided effects that go with statins are worth the risk:

Statins may delay effects of Alzheimer's -study advertisement

Nov 18 (Reuters) - Cholesterol-lowering drugs may help to delay the progression of Alzheimer's disease, the leading cause of dementia in the elderly, French scientists said on Thursday.
    In a three-year study involving 342 Alzheimer's patients, they found that the illness did not develop as quickly in sufferers with high cholesterol levels who were given statins as in patients not taking the drugs.

Professor Florence Pasquier, of the University Hospital in Lille, France, said the drugs "may slow cognitive decline in Alzheimer's disease and have a neuroprotective effect."

Nearly 130 patients in the study had high cholesterol levels. About half were given statins while the remainder did not receive any treatment.

The findings, which are reported in the Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, support the results of other human and animal studies which have suggested that high cholesterol levels may play a role in the progression of Alzheimer's.

Most of the patients in the study were women. Their average age was 73. The progression of the disease was rated at 1.5 points a year for the women taking the drugs, compared to 2.4 for those who were not treated with statins and 2.6 for patients with normal cholesterol levels.

Millions of people around the world are prescribed the drugs. Pfizer's Lipitor, Merck & Co. Inc's Zocor and AstraZeneca's Crestor are among the leading statins. The drugs lower cholesterol by inhibiting an enzyme that controls how much is produced in the body.

In an editorial in the journal, Dr Frank-Erik de Leeuw, of University Medical Center in Nijmegen in the Netherlands, said more work needs to be done before any conclusions about the usefulness of statins for Alzheimer's disease can be drawn.

"There is conflicting evidence for a causal relation between cholesterol, its treatment, and the incidence of Alzheimer's disease," he added.

Alzheimer's affects an estimated 12 million people around the world. There is no cure for the progressive illness that robs people of their memory and mental ability but drug treatments may slow its early progression.

Lisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 11-29-2005 at 06:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
    gardeninggal
    (female)

gardeninggal HB User
    Re: Something positive about Statins?

Moxie, that is an interesting article, but something caught my eye, the part that said that people with "NORMAL" cholesterol had the highest progression of Alzheimer's. Doesn't that say to us that it is not the cholesterol but rather something else causing the raise in Alzheimer's? Perhaps the statin's are working in another area other then cholesterol. I would rather try something natural before I take such a strong medication with such devastating side effects. If you want to read something interesting type in "Turmeric to fight Alzheimer's" and it will surprise you. Turmeric (Curcumin) is a spice in curry. The people in India use it liberally and they have the least amount of Alzheimer's. Tests done in many prestigious institutes incl. Dept. of Medicine and neurology Univ. of Calf, Greater Los Angeles Vet. Affairs Health care System, Geriatic Research and many more have come to believe that low doses of Turmeric ( Curcium) spice as a preventive and treatment of Alzheimer's. Here is why, the spice in small amounts has the ability to inhibit and even reduce existing Beta-Amyloid protein in the brain, which is the cause of Alzheimer's. It also inhibits the lesions in arteries too. I think I want to eat my medicine in the form of good spicy food rather then pad the pockets of the drug lords.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:26 AM   #3
    gardeninggal
    (female)

gardeninggal HB User

Moxie, oh yes for those of us that don't care for the spice in our food there are capsules with Turmeric

Old 11-29-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
    liverock
    (male)

liverock HB User

Lisa

The reason for statins being studied for alzheimers is AD and heart disease share a common gene, apolipoprotein E4. According to autopsy reports 85% of AD patients have this gene.

UCLA who have a large AD research department, are presently conducting a trial involving simvastatin v placebo. Looks like the French have beaten them to it.

Incidentally,UCLA recently reported on an AD trial involving the use of Circumin, an Indian spice.
    According to the report, inflammation was reduced in the brains of mice with induced AD and the disease slowed down.

Might be worth a shot for reducing CRP-Use 95% circumin supplements if you are going to try this.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:34 AM   #5
    liverock
    (male)

liverock HB User

Gardening Gal

I think you and I must have a telepathic connection- We both were thinking about Circumin at the same time but you beat me to posting by 5 minutes !!

Old 11-29-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Anyone that knows me from the boards knows that I am against taking any meds unless it is the last alternative. I try everything natural first. I am not posting these articles because I believe in them. I am posting for informational purposes only. Trust me I do not beleive that just because "They Say" that statins help Alzheimers that it is worth taking it even with all of the other side effects. I am actively looking into other alternatives to lower my CRP and taking everyone's info into account. I am taking Zetia now for about a week and I'm still not sure I will continue but my daughter and my husband were worried about my CRP and the doc telling me that I am at risk for heart attack or stroke if I don't get it down. This knowing full well that my Trigs and HDL's are phenomonal. I eat totally organic and mostly veggies no red meat and exercise 5-6 days a week and still I have issues with cholesterol and BP. I take B-complex, C, E and flaxseed and wheat germ, Co-Q10, aged garlic extract, and eat whole grains. Not sure what else I can take without breaking the darn bank for what I put in my body. I only shop at Whole Foods and everyone knows how pricey that can be. Thankfully I am blessed with a darn good job that keeps the money flowing for these purchases...Lisa

Old 11-29-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moxie75
    Anyone that knows me from the boards knows that I am against taking any meds unless it is the last alternative. I try everything natural first. I am not posting these articles because I believe in them. I am posting for informational purposes only. Trust me I do not beleive that just because "They Say" that statins help Alzheimers that it is worth taking it even with all of the other side effects. I am actively looking into other alternatives to lower my CRP and taking everyone's info into account. I am taking Zetia now for about a week and I'm still not sure I will continue but my daughter and my husband were worried about my CRP and the doc telling me that I am at risk for heart attack or stroke if I don't get it down. This knowing full well that my Trigs and HDL's are phenomonal. I eat totally organic and mostly veggies no red meat and exercise 5-6 days a week and still I have issues with cholesterol and BP. I take B-complex, C, E and flaxseed and wheat germ, Co-Q10, aged garlic extract, and eat whole grains. Not sure what else I can take without breaking the darn bank for what I put in my body. I only shop at Whole Foods and everyone knows how pricey that can be. Thankfully I am blessed with a darn good job that keeps the money flowing for these purchases...Lisa
    Moxie,

You have nothing to be apologetic about - there are appropriate uses for medications AND supplements. Neither is universally good or bad.

I hope the Zetia does the job for you - if so - stick with it! If it worked for me, I would...

One should not think that they have to be either a prescription drug proponent, or a supplement proponent. It's not an either/or situation. Both have a very legitimate role in health care.

Each of us has to find the formula that works best - and it will be different from person to person...

When I am critical of statins, it is with the full acknowledgement that they DO help and are appropriate for certain classes of patients... My concern is when drugs are prescribed, or supplements pushed, needlessly to the WRONG people for profit motives...

You've tried everything possible - if you find something that helps bring down your cholesterol and CRP - I'd stay with it unless there was a darn good reason not to.

HubbleRules

Old 11-29-2005, 03:02 PM   #8
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HubbleRules
    Moxie,

You have nothing to be apologetic about - there are appropriate uses for medications AND supplements. Neither is universally good or bad.

I hope the Zetia does the job for you - if so - stick with it! If it worked for me, I would...

One should not think that they have to be either a prescription drug proponent, or a supplement proponent. It's not an either/or situation. Both have a very legitimate role in health care.

Each of us has to find the formula that works best - and it will be different from person to person...

When I am critical of statins, it is with the full acknowledgement that they DO help and are appropriate for certain classes of patients... My concern is when drugs are prescribed, or supplements pushed, needlessly to the WRONG people for profit motives...

You've tried everything possible - if you find something that helps bring down your cholesterol and CRP - I'd stay with it unless there was a darn good reason not to.

HubbleRules
    Thanks Hubble I appreciate that..Lisa

Old 11-29-2005, 04:20 PM   #9
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Most recent reports (even after Rueter's publication ) have shown statins to be of no benifit to preventing or delaying onset of Alzheimers.

Closed Thread