It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Questiion about Crestor, Scard of statins, Please help.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
    lizabug
    (female)

lizabug HB User
    Question Questiion about Crestor, Scard of statins, Please help.

My doctor recently prescribed Crestor to lower my cholesterol. I was on Lipitor previously and had such terrible muscle pain that I stopped. It took a long time for the pain to go away but finally it did. I can't remember how my lipid panel broke down but I know that it was 219 total. I go Saturday to get a new screening to find out about the levels. I am really scared of these meds. I have had hepatitis when I was 12 and this concerns me as well. I don't "feel" right physically and I suspect there is an underlying cause to my high blood pressure as well as my other symptoms but trying to find someone to listen to me so far has been almost impossible. I live in a rural area and I am considering travelling two states away in order to find a doctor who can help me. Getting back to the question, can anyone give me some insights to Crestor and the statins?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: Questiion about Crestor, Scard of statins, Please help.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lizabug
    My doctor recently prescribed Crestor to lower my cholesterol. I was on Lipitor previously and had such terrible muscle pain that I stopped. It took a long time for the pain to go away but finally it did. I can't remember how my lipid panel broke down but I know that it was 219 total. I go Saturday to get a new screening to find out about the levels. I am really scared of these meds. I have had hepatitis when I was 12 and this concerns me as well. I don't "feel" right physically and I suspect there is an underlying cause to my high blood pressure as well as my other symptoms but trying to find someone to listen to me so far has been almost impossible. I live in a rural area and I am considering travelling two states away in order to find a doctor who can help me. Getting back to the question, can anyone give me some insights to Crestor and the statins?

Thanks
    If U had liver problems in the past I can't see a dr. wanting U on any statin, and have heard Crestor is mighty powerful. If U don't feel right on them, I wouldn't go back on them. They tried me on Lipitor, Baycol, Welchol and a few other lipid lowering things, and I got sick on all and finally gave up.

Did U have high BP before using statins? My BP was always very low, 115-120/70-75 till I went on statins, then it jumped to 150/100 after 3 months on Lipitor. My dr. thought his meter went nuts, so tried 3 different ones, but they all showed it very high. It took me over 6 months to finally start feeling good after using cholesterol meds., so now I just do the best I can with diet and exercise. Shame U live so far from a good dr., but it doesn't sound like the one U have is trying to help U. Hopefully U get another dr. who will work with you.

Best wishes....

Old 12-01-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Lizabug,

If you had muscle pains from Lipitor, then I would be very careful if taking Crestor - since it has the highest incidence of muscular problems and rhabdomyolisis of all the statins - it is very potent. I developed bad muscle pains from Lipitor also (after 7 1/2 years my doctor combined Tricor with it, and that combination caused a lot of problems for me). I personally would not try Crestor because of my prior history. I would consider Zetia or Whelchol, perhas Vytorin (which contains a low dose of statin) if the Policosanol I am currently taking does not control my cholesterol to my satisfaction.

Have you tried Zetia or Whelchol? They are not statins, and they do a good job of lowering LDL... However, 219 does not sound high, but then we need to see the other numbers, and to know if you have other risk factors (overweight, diabetes, smoker...)

If you were to take Crestor, please urge your doctor to start you on a low dose, and definitely take CoQ10 along with it (Q-Gel is a good brand)...

HubbleRules

Old 12-02-2005, 05:38 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Liza,

Crestor is the STRONGEST statin. Considering this, I think it would be a mistake for anyone who has had trouble with Lipitor and had to discontinue it to use CRESTOR.
    If I were you, I would push instead for VYTORIN which is a low dose of a statin that is weaker than LIPITOR but uses another type drug (non-statin) to boost it's effectiveness by using an additional route to cholesterol control.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Liza,

I also agree with Lenin. They don't call Crestor the "gorilla statin" for nothing. I'm surprised your doctor switched you over to Crestor after having problems with Lipitor. Vytorin would be a more viable option, or perhaps even a weaker statin like Pravachol.

By the way, it would be helpful if you can find out what your other numbers were, in addition to your total cholesterol. 219 isn't really high, so I am assuming this was your level while on Lipitor?

Last edited by ARIZONA73; 12-02-2005 at 04:40 PM.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:39 AM   #6
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lizabug

Thanks
    Yeah this makes sense , you had trouble with muscle problems with lipitor so he sticks you on a statin that is even stronger . Sometimes you have to wonder about these guys and you really wonder if they aren't in the back pocket of these drug companies.

Closed Thread