It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• NIACIN...Pray for Me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    NIACIN...Pray for Me

I was museuming (Guggenheim) and junk shopping in Manhattan today, and I picked up something in a bin which I just tried: SLO NIACIN which is polygel controlled release niacin...500 mg.
    Though I swore NEVER to take niacin again, I've never tried anything time release.
    I was GOING to take a full 500 mg. tablet but read the back and they said "may be split along the scored line but not crushed or cut in a pill spiltter." (I guess that beaks the "polygels?")
    So I took the 1/2 pill on a VERY full stomach...all you can eat SUSHI-TEMPURA lunch. I ate MORE than I can eat!
    If I don't die from the pill I'll try the 500 tomorrow.

I'm seeing GP next week and will have my blood lipids run to see the immediate effect of this stuff on my HDL. Since I'm drinking NO alcohol til Xmas since November 15th, any increase should be attributable solely to the niacin.

God, I hope I don't have a major death-flush!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-05-2005 at 03:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    I was museuming (Guggenheim) and junk shopping in Manhattan today, and I picked up something in a bin which I just tried: SLO NIACIN which is polygel controlled release niacin...500 mg.
    Though I swore NEVER to take niacin again, I've never tried anything time release.
    I was GOING to take a full 500 mg. tablet but read the back and they said "may be split along the scored line but not crushed or cut in a pill spiltter." (I guess that beaks the "polygels?")
    So I took the 1/2 pill on a VERY full stomach...all you can eat SUSHI-TEMPURA lunch. I ate MORE than I can eat!
    If I don't die from the pill I'll try the 500 tomorrow.

I'm seeing GP next week and will have my blood lipids run to see the immediate effect of this stuff on my HDL. Since I'm drinking NO alcohol til Xmas since November 15th, any increase should be attributable solely to the niacin.

God, I hope I don't have a major death-flush!

Good luck!! I have seen the Slo Niacin at one of my local pharmacies. As U know, I tired the lousy 100 mgs. of no flush and couldn't handle it, iched like crazy. Oh well, my system is weird, so maybe it will work for U.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I took the second half of the 500 mg. about 5 hours later. No problems.

I just took a whole one after lunch a light lunch. If that goes well, I;ll try one tomorrow AM and one PM for a total of 1,000 mg.

I'll get liver function next week along with the cholesterol panel. Ideal would be a high HDL normal ALT and AST. Fingers crossed!

Old 12-06-2005, 01:34 PM   #4
    mg_health
    Inactive
    (male)

mg_health HB User
    Question Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

Quote:
    Ideal would be a high HDL normal ALT and AST. Fingers crossed!
    Do you expect a benefit from niacin on your lipid levels in such a short time? I didn't know niacin was that powerful.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:

I just took a whole one after lunch a light lunch. If that goes well, I;ll try one tomorrow AM and one PM for a total of 1,000 mg.

I'll get liver function next week along with the cholesterol panel. Ideal would be a high HDL normal ALT and AST. Fingers crossed!
    Hopefully it will go well and U can continue taking it. Was your ALT & AST off last time? Hope U get a good report next week. Both hubby and I go in Jan., but U can be sure it will be late Jan., as with the holiday coming, I'm sure we will cheat like everyone else......

Old 12-06-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:

We are pulling you for you Lenin..We need to see some good results for our efforts...Lisa

Old 12-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:

Considering how sensitive you are to the effects of niacin, especially the immediate-release form, a slow or time-release product may be more suitable for you. Of course, the only caveat is the fact that you are also taking Lipitor, so you naturally need to be more cautious.

So, did you finally use up that other niacin, you know, the one you said was about 14 years old? What was the name of that brand? Pioneer, or something like that?

Old 12-07-2005, 06:40 AM   #8
    liverock
    (male)

liverock HB User

Lenin

Arent you in danger of muddying the waters here if you are taking N-Acetyl-Cysteine at the same time as niacin?

Both are supposed to be able to reduce Lp(a). If your Lp(a) is reduced you wont know which is more effective.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:03 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

No, liverock, I've put the idea of the NAC on hold for awhile. My rear brain thinking is that amino acids are pie in the sky claims so it will have to wait a bit for its trial. I'll TRY it if the niacin doesn't work as expected, then I'll give the NAC a run for it's money. In fact my next week's visit should give me a baseline Lp(a) <I think niacin will change it very little...it hasn't in the past but if it IS markedly lowered then the niacin DID make the change because I've not had any alcohol for several weeks. So then I'll have a baseline and either ADD NAC to the niacin or replace the niacin with NAC. I'm with you...I like to test only one variable at a time.

ARIZONA,
    I STILL have several Tbsp of the ancient KILLER quick hit niacin...It was a BIG bottle. I'm going to keep them around in case I spot a roach. If I DO, I'll use it to "FLUSH" them out !

JJ,
    No my ALTs and ASTs have been rock solid normal for decades. Particularly nice after years of heavy drinking and 7 years on Lipitor. If they go wonky, I'll know immediately it was the niacin that "done it in." Of course ANY meaningful boost in either of these enzymes means bye-bye niacin.

MG,
    I don't know WHAT to expect after 10 days of niacin (today I'll try a gram) but I'll find out soon enough. Testing is the only way to be sure, but I wouldn't be SURPRISED with a big HDL boost in a short time, alcohol raises it fast.

Fingers crossed.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:01 AM   #10
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    No, liverock, I've put the idea of the NAC on hold for awhile. My rear brain thinking is that amino acids are pie in the sky claims so it will have to wait a bit for its trial. I'll TRY it if the niacin doesn't work as expected, then I'll give the NAC a run for it's money. In fact my next week's visit should give me a baseline Lp(a) <I think niacin will change it very little...it hasn't in the past but if it IS markedly lowered then the niacin DID make the change because I've not had any alcohol for several weeks. So then I'll have a baseline and either ADD NAC to the niacin or replace the niacin with NAC. I'm with you...I like to test only one variable at a time.

ARIZONA,
    I STILL have several Tbsp of the ancient KILLER quick hit niacin...It was a BIG bottle. I'm going to keep them around in case I spot a roach. If I DO, I'll use it to "FLUSH" them out !

JJ,
    No my ALTs and ASTs have been rock solid normal for decades. Particularly nice after years of heavy drinking and 7 years on Lipitor. If they go wonky, I'll know immediately it was the niacin that "done it in." Of course ANY meaningful boost in either of these enzymes means bye-bye niacin.

MG,
    I don't know WHAT to expect after 10 days of niacin (today I'll try a gram) but I'll find out soon enough. Testing is the only way to be sure, but I wouldn't be SURPRISED with a big HDL boost in a short time, alcohol raises it fast.

Fingers crossed.
    Glad the blood tests are fine, so wishing U a good report next week...

Old 12-08-2005, 05:57 AM   #11
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Yesterday I took two SLO-NIACIN for a total of 1000 mg. Absolutely NO problems except a quick back spasm <damn> but that was due to my using a gym machine that I've foremerly given wide berth to...the dreaded ELLIPTICAL INQUISITION TORTURE MACHINE !
    About 4 hours after that workout, my buttocks felt like they were on fire...and then, I bent into the closet and WHAMMO. I stopped everything and took 2 SOMA'S (carisoprodyl) and went to bed. I'm walking on eggs this morning and used my SUPER vibrator (200 horsepower I think ), no pain.

Anyhoo, I moved my appointment to the 19th to more fully see the effect of the niacin after 14 days on niacin.

I just can't decide whether to take 1000 mg. a day or 500 mg. What would you guys do? (I take10 mg. Lipitor and have superb numbers except for low HDL <and a super high Lp(a).>

Next order of business is to run back to the Wall Street area and see if I can find anymore in the bargain bin...at $2.99 per 100 these are far cheaper than those in either Puritan or Vitamin Shoppe's catalogue. The are made by UPSHER-SMITH????

Last edited by Lenin; 12-08-2005 at 09:23 AM.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:17 AM   #12
    mg_health
    Inactive
    (male)

mg_health HB User

Quote:
    I just can't decide whether to take 1000 mg. a day or 500 mg.
    I would be cautious and only take 500mg. You never know what even 500mg could be doing to your liver!

Old 12-08-2005, 09:26 AM   #13
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mg,

That's what I'll do...better safe than sorry.
    If I get some HDL improvement and no deterioration of liver enzymes, then maybe I'll think about that 1,000 mg. dosage at a later date.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:32 AM   #14
    mg_health
    Inactive
    (male)

mg_health HB User

Quote:
    mg,

If I get some HDL improvement and no deterioration of liver enzymes, then maybe I'll think about that 1,000 mg. dosage at a later date.
    Let me know how that goes - if my current regimen doesn't work out, I'll start taking Niaspan.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #15
    gardeninggal
    (female)

gardeninggal HB User

Quote:
    mg,

Lenin, I too think you should go slow because you are on a statin. My doctor said 1500mg of no flush niacin but thats because I was not on any statin. He told me he is prescribing a lot of niacin now. He also said that he used to prescribe it all the time years ago with good results. Perhaps you may be able to take a lesser amount of your statin and still get great benefits. I have heard where niacin with the statin works well for diabetics but only under doctor supervision.

Closed Thread