It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



High Cholesterol Message Board

  • NIACIN...Pray for Me

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 12-05-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Lenin's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Posts: 8,456
    Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    NIACIN...Pray for Me

    I was museuming (Guggenheim) and junk shopping in Manhattan today, and I picked up something in a bin which I just tried: SLO NIACIN which is polygel controlled release niacin...500 mg.
    Though I swore NEVER to take niacin again, I've never tried anything time release.
    I was GOING to take a full 500 mg. tablet but read the back and they said "may be split along the scored line but not crushed or cut in a pill spiltter." (I guess that beaks the "polygels?")
    So I took the 1/2 pill on a VERY full stomach...all you can eat SUSHI-TEMPURA lunch. I ate MORE than I can eat!
    If I don't die from the pill I'll try the 500 tomorrow.

    I'm seeing GP next week and will have my blood lipids run to see the immediate effect of this stuff on my HDL. Since I'm drinking NO alcohol til Xmas since November 15th, any increase should be attributable solely to the niacin.

    God, I hope I don't have a major death-flush!

    Last edited by Lenin; 12-05-2005 at 03:02 PM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 12-05-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    JJ's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2000
    Location: Ct.
    Posts: 3,693
    JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    I was museuming (Guggenheim) and junk shopping in Manhattan today, and I picked up something in a bin which I just tried: SLO NIACIN which is polygel controlled release niacin...500 mg.
    Though I swore NEVER to take niacin again, I've never tried anything time release.
    I was GOING to take a full 500 mg. tablet but read the back and they said "may be split along the scored line but not crushed or cut in a pill spiltter." (I guess that beaks the "polygels?")
    So I took the 1/2 pill on a VERY full stomach...all you can eat SUSHI-TEMPURA lunch. I ate MORE than I can eat!
    If I don't die from the pill I'll try the 500 tomorrow.

    I'm seeing GP next week and will have my blood lipids run to see the immediate effect of this stuff on my HDL. Since I'm drinking NO alcohol til Xmas since November 15th, any increase should be attributable solely to the niacin.

    God, I hope I don't have a major death-flush!

    Good luck!! I have seen the Slo Niacin at one of my local pharmacies. As U know, I tired the lousy 100 mgs. of no flush and couldn't handle it, iched like crazy. Oh well, my system is weird, so maybe it will work for U.

     
    Old 12-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Lenin's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Posts: 8,456
    Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

    I took the second half of the 500 mg. about 5 hours later. No problems.

    I just took a whole one after lunch a light lunch. If that goes well, I;ll try one tomorrow AM and one PM for a total of 1,000 mg.

    I'll get liver function next week along with the cholesterol panel. Ideal would be a high HDL normal ALT and AST. Fingers crossed!

     
    Old 12-06-2005, 01:34 PM   #4
    mg_health
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: May 2005
    Posts: 147
    mg_health HB User
    Question Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    Ideal would be a high HDL normal ALT and AST. Fingers crossed!
    Do you expect a benefit from niacin on your lipid levels in such a short time? I didn't know niacin was that powerful.

     
    Old 12-06-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    JJ's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2000
    Location: Ct.
    Posts: 3,693
    JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    I took the second half of the 500 mg. about 5 hours later. No problems.

    I just took a whole one after lunch a light lunch. If that goes well, I;ll try one tomorrow AM and one PM for a total of 1,000 mg.

    I'll get liver function next week along with the cholesterol panel. Ideal would be a high HDL normal ALT and AST. Fingers crossed!
    Hopefully it will go well and U can continue taking it. Was your ALT & AST off last time? Hope U get a good report next week. Both hubby and I go in Jan., but U can be sure it will be late Jan., as with the holiday coming, I'm sure we will cheat like everyone else......

     
    Old 12-06-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
    Moxie75
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Location: PA
    Posts: 1,192
    Moxie75 HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    I took the second half of the 500 mg. about 5 hours later. No problems.

    I just took a whole one after lunch a light lunch. If that goes well, I;ll try one tomorrow AM and one PM for a total of 1,000 mg.

    I'll get liver function next week along with the cholesterol panel. Ideal would be a high HDL normal ALT and AST. Fingers crossed!
    We are pulling you for you Lenin..We need to see some good results for our efforts...Lisa

     
    Old 12-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    ARIZONA73's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: Fords, N.J. USA
    Posts: 2,263
    ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    I took the second half of the 500 mg. about 5 hours later. No problems.

    I just took a whole one after lunch a light lunch. If that goes well, I;ll try one tomorrow AM and one PM for a total of 1,000 mg.

    I'll get liver function next week along with the cholesterol panel. Ideal would be a high HDL normal ALT and AST. Fingers crossed!
    Considering how sensitive you are to the effects of niacin, especially the immediate-release form, a slow or time-release product may be more suitable for you. Of course, the only caveat is the fact that you are also taking Lipitor, so you naturally need to be more cautious.

    So, did you finally use up that other niacin, you know, the one you said was about 14 years old? What was the name of that brand? Pioneer, or something like that?
    __________________
    "Men and nations will act rationally when all other possibilities have been exhausted."

     
    Old 12-07-2005, 06:40 AM   #8
    liverock
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    liverock's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Location: UK
    Posts: 162
    liverock HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

    Lenin

    Arent you in danger of muddying the waters here if you are taking N-Acetyl-Cysteine at the same time as niacin?

    Both are supposed to be able to reduce Lp(a). If your Lp(a) is reduced you wont know which is more effective.

     
    Old 12-07-2005, 07:03 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Lenin's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Posts: 8,456
    Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

    No, liverock, I've put the idea of the NAC on hold for awhile. My rear brain thinking is that amino acids are pie in the sky claims so it will have to wait a bit for its trial. I'll TRY it if the niacin doesn't work as expected, then I'll give the NAC a run for it's money. In fact my next week's visit should give me a baseline Lp(a) <I think niacin will change it very little...it hasn't in the past but if it IS markedly lowered then the niacin DID make the change because I've not had any alcohol for several weeks. So then I'll have a baseline and either ADD NAC to the niacin or replace the niacin with NAC. I'm with you...I like to test only one variable at a time.

    ARIZONA,
    I STILL have several Tbsp of the ancient KILLER quick hit niacin...It was a BIG bottle. I'm going to keep them around in case I spot a roach. If I DO, I'll use it to "FLUSH" them out !

    JJ,
    No my ALTs and ASTs have been rock solid normal for decades. Particularly nice after years of heavy drinking and 7 years on Lipitor. If they go wonky, I'll know immediately it was the niacin that "done it in." Of course ANY meaningful boost in either of these enzymes means bye-bye niacin.

    MG,
    I don't know WHAT to expect after 10 days of niacin (today I'll try a gram) but I'll find out soon enough. Testing is the only way to be sure, but I wouldn't be SURPRISED with a big HDL boost in a short time, alcohol raises it fast.

    Fingers crossed.

     
    Old 12-07-2005, 09:01 AM   #10
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    JJ's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2000
    Location: Ct.
    Posts: 3,693
    JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    No, liverock, I've put the idea of the NAC on hold for awhile. My rear brain thinking is that amino acids are pie in the sky claims so it will have to wait a bit for its trial. I'll TRY it if the niacin doesn't work as expected, then I'll give the NAC a run for it's money. In fact my next week's visit should give me a baseline Lp(a) <I think niacin will change it very little...it hasn't in the past but if it IS markedly lowered then the niacin DID make the change because I've not had any alcohol for several weeks. So then I'll have a baseline and either ADD NAC to the niacin or replace the niacin with NAC. I'm with you...I like to test only one variable at a time.

    ARIZONA,
    I STILL have several Tbsp of the ancient KILLER quick hit niacin...It was a BIG bottle. I'm going to keep them around in case I spot a roach. If I DO, I'll use it to "FLUSH" them out !

    JJ,
    No my ALTs and ASTs have been rock solid normal for decades. Particularly nice after years of heavy drinking and 7 years on Lipitor. If they go wonky, I'll know immediately it was the niacin that "done it in." Of course ANY meaningful boost in either of these enzymes means bye-bye niacin.

    MG,
    I don't know WHAT to expect after 10 days of niacin (today I'll try a gram) but I'll find out soon enough. Testing is the only way to be sure, but I wouldn't be SURPRISED with a big HDL boost in a short time, alcohol raises it fast.

    Fingers crossed.
    Glad the blood tests are fine, so wishing U a good report next week...

     
    Old 12-08-2005, 05:57 AM   #11
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Lenin's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Posts: 8,456
    Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

    Yesterday I took two SLO-NIACIN for a total of 1000 mg. Absolutely NO problems except a quick back spasm <damn> but that was due to my using a gym machine that I've foremerly given wide berth to...the dreaded ELLIPTICAL INQUISITION TORTURE MACHINE !
    About 4 hours after that workout, my buttocks felt like they were on fire...and then, I bent into the closet and WHAMMO. I stopped everything and took 2 SOMA'S (carisoprodyl) and went to bed. I'm walking on eggs this morning and used my SUPER vibrator (200 horsepower I think ), no pain.

    Anyhoo, I moved my appointment to the 19th to more fully see the effect of the niacin after 14 days on niacin.

    I just can't decide whether to take 1000 mg. a day or 500 mg. What would you guys do? (I take10 mg. Lipitor and have superb numbers except for low HDL <and a super high Lp(a).>

    Next order of business is to run back to the Wall Street area and see if I can find anymore in the bargain bin...at $2.99 per 100 these are far cheaper than those in either Puritan or Vitamin Shoppe's catalogue. The are made by UPSHER-SMITH????

    Last edited by Lenin; 12-08-2005 at 09:23 AM.

     
    Old 12-08-2005, 09:17 AM   #12
    mg_health
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: May 2005
    Posts: 147
    mg_health HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    I just can't decide whether to take 1000 mg. a day or 500 mg.
    I would be cautious and only take 500mg. You never know what even 500mg could be doing to your liver!

     
    Old 12-08-2005, 09:26 AM   #13
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Lenin's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Posts: 8,456
    Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

    mg,

    That's what I'll do...better safe than sorry.
    If I get some HDL improvement and no deterioration of liver enzymes, then maybe I'll think about that 1,000 mg. dosage at a later date.

     
    Old 12-08-2005, 09:32 AM   #14
    mg_health
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: May 2005
    Posts: 147
    mg_health HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    mg,

    That's what I'll do...better safe than sorry.
    If I get some HDL improvement and no deterioration of liver enzymes, then maybe I'll think about that 1,000 mg. dosage at a later date.
    Let me know how that goes - if my current regimen doesn't work out, I'll start taking Niaspan.

     
    Old 12-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #15
    gardeninggal
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    gardeninggal's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2005
    Posts: 246
    gardeninggal HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    mg,

    That's what I'll do...better safe than sorry.
    If I get some HDL improvement and no deterioration of liver enzymes, then maybe I'll think about that 1,000 mg. dosage at a later date.
    Lenin, I too think you should go slow because you are on a statin. My doctor said 1500mg of no flush niacin but thats because I was not on any statin. He told me he is prescribing a lot of niacin now. He also said that he used to prescribe it all the time years ago with good results. Perhaps you may be able to take a lesser amount of your statin and still get great benefits. I have heard where niacin with the statin works well for diabetics but only under doctor supervision.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Niacin and warnings about doctor's supervision...... The Mayor High Cholesterol 10 05-20-2008 11:06 AM
    Does Niacin cause night sweating? hotdam High Cholesterol 17 08-03-2007 07:52 PM
    Niacin Studies jkhh High Cholesterol 24 01-24-2007 06:27 PM
    Niacin versus Inositol Hexaniacinate master44 High Cholesterol 12 12-12-2006 06:46 AM
    Niaspan vs. Niacin Mr. Detail High Cholesterol 5 07-13-2006 08:39 PM
    Anyone Taking Non-Prescription Niacin? mg_health High Cholesterol 34 10-25-2005 06:00 PM
    Niacin and blood glucose... JJ High Cholesterol 5 06-01-2005 01:13 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:02 PM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!