It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
    troublex2
    (female)

troublex2 HB User
    surgery

i am getting surgery on my wrist because i have a small cyst on it.i was wondering if there are any risk in getting surgery when you have high cholesterol?and also,i know that we are at ah igher risk for heart disease,what can we do to try to prevent that,and if your cholesterol is at a normal range,is the risk still there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2006, 07:45 AM   #2
    troublex2
    (female)

troublex2 HB User
    Re: surgery

I would appreciate it if someone could please answer my question.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by troublex2
    i am getting surgery on my wrist because i have a small cyst on it.i was wondering if there are any risk in getting surgery when you have high cholesterol?and also,i know that we are at ah igher risk for heart disease,what can we do to try to prevent that,and if your cholesterol is at a normal range,is the risk still there?
    As far as getting surgery on your wrist, I'm certainly sure the dr. would have said something if it was a risk factor due to high cholesterol. I certainly know folks who have had surgery with high cholesterol, so see no problem where that would be a concern.

Yes, U may be at a higher risk for heart disease with high numbers, but there are pro's and con's about that also, as too low a cholesterol is as bad as too high. U also didn't say how high your numbers are and if your on any meds. for it or what. If your numbers are high, best thing to do is try lowering them with diet and exercise, and yes there is a risk of heart disease with normal numbers as well. It would help people answer your questions if U gave a lil history of yourself and eating habits and exercise habits, and whether there is any family history of disease, cholesterol, heart, diabetes, high blood pressure etc. etc.

Enjoy your day....

Old 01-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
    sorepaw
    (male)

sorepaw HB User

I don't think there is a risk of surgery because of high cholesterol. I had an appendectomy and repair of a deviated septum and my cholesterol was high. I did have a risk last Feburary 1st of NOT having surgery, a risk of dying before Valentines. My father had died of a heart attack several days before Valentines in 1992. An angiogram showed my right coronary 100% blocked and my left coronary(aka widow-maker) 90% blocked. One thing about it, after you have your sterum sawed open and they remodel your heart, it tends to take a lot more to shake you up about anything. Supposedly, the higher your cholesterol is, the greater the risk of heart disease. I think you can still develop heart disease even with a lower cholesterol, like say 150. It just takes longer to manifest itself. I know a man who's TC was always around 150 and he had a by-pass in his early 60's. Mine was always around the 230's and I had my quadrupel-bybass at age 47. I had never smoked and had always exercised and maintained a good body weight. And there are people who die of a heart attack with quote "normal cholesterol". At least I had plenty of warning, chest pains for about 5 years, till they got so bad I could not even go to sleep at night. For some people though, their 1st symptom of heart disease is death. I think cholesterol may just be one part of the equation. Other factors might be; arterial physiology, inflammation, stress and cholesterol size/ratios. Things you can do are a good diet, exercise, don't smoke and try to reduce stress. Some good books I have found are The New 8-Week Cholesterol Cure by Robert Kowalski 2002 and Superfoods Healthsyle by Pratt & Mattews 2006. My TC is now in the 120's so we'll see how long I can go, though I feel genetics is very powerful and there is no substitute for "good genetics" or what I call "lucky genetics".

Closed Thread