It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Olive oil is it good for you, even when frying with it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
    Live-Life-to-Love
    Veteran
    (female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User
    Olive oil is it good for you, even when frying with it?

I know that this may be a dumb question since frying is typically bad for you....

I have really begun to like my 2-3 weekly lunches of flounder filet, sprayed with vegetable cooking oil, dipped in seasoned bread crumbs (lightly dipped) and fried quickly in olive oil.

I read somewhere that a tsp of olive oil a day will help with cholesterol levels, so is it better that I just suck down a tsp (I love the taste I really don't mind) or can I fry with it to get the same effect?

Also is too much olive oil bad for you too? I use it practically all of my cooking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
    JacquelineL
    Inactive

JacquelineL HB User
    Re: Olive oil is it good for you, even when frying with it?

I doubt you are getting too much. I use it for everything--all my salad dressings and for cooking meats and vegetables. One of my favorites is red and green peppers and onions sauted in olive oil and then add small pieces of chicken breast or fish near the end of the cooking. The olive oil that remains in the pan is very tasty, great for dipping chunks of bread in.

Last edited by JacquelineL; 02-14-2006 at 07:09 PM.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
    Live-Life-to-Love
    Veteran
    (female)

So it doesn't seem so bad that I am using it for frying?

Old 02-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
    JacquelineL
    Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

No, it is good for frying. It does lose a bit of its flavor when heated, so use a less expensive one. Never heat so much that it smokes, but olive oil can take a fairly high heat. It is about the healthiest oil you can use.

[url]http://www.oliveoilsource.com/cooking_olive_oil.htm[/url]

Old 02-15-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think it's a terrible (although delicious) way to make fish. THe breading soaks up so much of the oil that a high protein food like fish becomes instead a high fat meal.

Olive oil is good for you in the sense it's BETTER than saturated fat but it's not so good that it's better than baking or broiling the fish.

And if you want a real fright, just read the ingredients of the spray-on grease that you are using to get the breading to stick.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:30 AM   #6
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

Live, I think that frying gets a bad rap sometimes because, if you use just a small amount of olive oil, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan, and cook the fish at the correct temperature, keep flipping it, etc., you aren't getting nearly the kind of fat that comes from deep frying, for instance. Also, use the new Mazola Pure to spray your fish. Since you use just a light bread crumb coating, I don't see why it isn't a perfectly good way to cook your fish. FYI, don't use the extra virgin variety of olive oil as it'll burn.

Last edited by Spin444; 02-15-2006 at 10:31 AM.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #7
    Tobias
    Veteran
    (female)

Tobias HB User

Frying food in any kind of fat is a higher calorie preparation method than those which do not involve added fat. However, if you fry something, by all means consider using olive oil since it has health benefits.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #8
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tobias2
    Frying food in any kind of fat is a higher calorie preparation method than those which do not involve added fat. However, if you fry something, by all means consider using olive oil since it has health benefits.
    Just don't try to fry an egg in it, as I once did. It tasted pretty bad. Fish? Well, maybe that's another story, although I prefer fish either baked or broiled.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
    Live-Life-to-Love
    Veteran
    (female)

So far I hear only positive things about frying with olive oil. I must say I use alot of oil, not "just to coat". I just love the stuff. But from now on I will be less liberal with the olive oil.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 02-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

And Olive Oil is an Monounsaturated fatty acid which is stable in high temps. Wont oxidize like the Polyunsaturated oils/fats. I even rub it all over my face and neck when out in the desert sun here. Supposenly Cleopatra used it externally for her beauty. Hmm.........

Old 02-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #11
    Live-Life-to-Love
    Veteran
    (female)

Olive Oil Rocks!!!!

Closed Thread