It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Could this be the Tricor I am taking?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
    MommaBee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MommaBee HB User
    Could this be the Tricor I am taking?

I just don't know what is going on with my skin...it is painful and tender to the touch, starting on my scalp and down my neck and face. It is only on the right side and abruptly stops in the middle of my scalp. To brush my hair is painful or to put my face cream on. I have just started taking Tricor and Avapro (I have taken the Avapro before with no problems) for my high blood pressure and cholesterol and told my doctor about this. He is perplexed and couldn't find anywhere in the literature on the drugs about the side effects that could cause skin sensitivity. There isn't any reddening of the skin or rash, so I am really curious what this is...??? I also have a couple of patches on my arms and back. If you have any ideas or know that this is a side affect of the Tricor, I'd be glad to hear from you.
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User
    Re: Could this be the Tricor I am taking?

[QUOTE=MommaBee]I just don't know what is going on with my skin...it is painful and tender to the touch, starting on my scalp and down my neck and face. It is only on the right side and abruptly stops in the middle of my scalp. To brush my hair is painful or to put my face cream on. I have just started taking Tricor and Avapro (I have taken the Avapro before with no problems) for my high blood pressure and cholesterol and told my doctor about this. He is perplexed and couldn't find anywhere in the literature on the drugs about the side effects that could cause skin sensitivity. There isn't any reddening of the skin or rash, so I am really curious what this is...??? I also have a couple of patches on my arms and back. If you have any ideas or know that this is a side affect of the Tricor, I'd be glad to hear from you.
    Thanks![/QUO

Tricor has some harsh side effects as do all cholestoerol lowering medications. Among them, contact dermatitis, fungal dermatitis, skin ulcer, toxic epidermal necrolysis. Also herpes zoster, and herpes simples (shingles). I would bet that it is a reaction to the tricor if you hadn't had it before. You might tell your doctor about these. As he will know shingles is an inflamation of the nerve endings. Sounds like somthing on that order. I had shingles but never did break out in a rash. Did you ever have shingles before... could be a less severe cause this time or just hypersensitivty caused by the tricor. Watch what you have closely, and if you notice ANY swelling of your lips or tongue...get to the emergency room.....!!!!!

Old 02-21-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
    MommaBee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MommaBee HB User

Thank you for your reply!
    I find it strange that this doctor (new) didn't know these things. I also couldn't find anything online about it. My first thought was shingles (no I haven't had it before) as I remember reading that it made your skin painful. I will be seeing him again in a month. If this isn't better by then, I am off this medication. I took Lipitor with no side affects. My tryglisorides (sp?) are at 760. BAD! Total cholesteral is at 256. This is the reason for the Tricor. Anyway, you have given me more information than he did! Thanks!

Old 02-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MommaBee
    Thank you for your reply!
    I find it strange that this doctor (new) didn't know these things. I also couldn't find anything online about it. My first thought was shingles (no I haven't had it before) as I remember reading that it made your skin painful. I will be seeing him again in a month. If this isn't better by then, I am off this medication. I took Lipitor with no side affects. My tryglisorides (sp?) are at 760. BAD! Total cholesteral is at 256. This is the reason for the Tricor. Anyway, you have given me more information than he did! Thanks!

Momma: you can tell you doctor that they information i gave you is from Lexicomp online. It is a service that is used by major medical centers, pharmacologists, doctors etc.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

This is a list of possible side effects for tricor. Usually statins are worse than fenofibrates though.

SIDE EFFECTS

CLINICAL

Adverse events reported by 2% or more of patients treated with fenofibrate during the double-blind, placebo-controlled trials, regardless of causality, are listed in the table below. Adverse events led to discontinuation of treatment in 5.0% of patients treated with fenofibrate and in 3.0% treated with placebo. Increases in liver function tests were the most frequent events, causing discontinuation of fenofibrate treatment in 1.6% of patients in double-blind trials.

BODY AS A WHOLE: Chest pain, pain (unspecified), infection, malaise, allergic reaction, cyst, hernia, fever, photosensitivity reaction, and accidental injury.

CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM: Angina pectoris, hypertension, vasodilatation, coronary artery disorder, electrocardiogram abnormal, ventricular extrasystoles, myocardial infarct, peripheral vascular disorder, migraine, varicose vein, cardiovascular disorder, hypotension, palpitation, vascular disorder, arrhythmia, phlebitis, tachycardia, extrasystoles, and atrial fibrillation.

DIGESTIVE SYSTEM: Dyspepsia, flatulence, nausea, increased appetite, gastroenteritis, cholelithiasis, rectal disorder, esophagitis, gastritis, colitis, tooth disorder, vomiting, anorexia, gastrointestinal disorder, duodenal ulcer, nausea and vomiting, peptic ulcer, rectal hemorrhage, liver fatty deposit, cholecystitis, eructation, gamma glutamyl transpeptidase, and diarrhea.

ENDOCRINE SYSTEM: Diabetes mellitus

HEMIC AND LYMPHATIC SYSTEM: Anemia, leukopenia, ecchymosis, eosinophilia, lymphadenopathy, and thrombocytopenia.

METABOLIC AND NUTRITIONAL DISORDERS: Creatinine increased, weight gain, hypoglycemia, gout, weight loss, edema, hyperuricemia, and peripheral edema.

MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM: Myositis, myalgia, arthralgia, arthritis, tenosynovitis, joint disorder, arthrosis, leg cramps, bursitis, and myasthenia.

NERVOUS SYSTEM: Dizziness, insomnia, depression, vertigo, libido decreased, anxiety, paresthesia, dry mouth, hypertonia, nervousness, neuralgia, and somnolence.

RESPIRATORY SYSTEM: Pharyngitis, bronchitis, cough increased, dyspnea, asthma, allergic pulmonary alveolitis, pneumonia, laryngitis, and sinusitis.

SKIN AND APPENDAGES: Rash, pruritus, eczema, herpes zoster, urticaria, acne, sweating, fungal dermatitis, skin disorder, alopecia, contact dermatitis, herpes simplex, maculopapular rash, nail disorder, and skin ulcer.

SPECIAL SENSES: Conjunctivitis, eye disorder, amblyopia, ear pain, otitis media, abnormal vision, cataract specified, and refraction disorder.

UROGENITAL SYSTEM: Urinary frequency, prostatic disorder, dysuria, abnormal kidney function, urolithiasis, gynecomastia, unintended pregnancy, vaginal moniliasis, and cystitis.

Last edited by vipergg22; 02-21-2006 at 02:45 PM.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
    MommaBee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MommaBee HB User

WOW! Thank you for that info, vipergg22!
    And you too, finres!
    I knew it was the Tricor, but couldn't seem to find the info I needed. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2006, 06:11 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Two conditions come to mind, momma; shingles (a friend had it across her face at eye level...great pain) and tic doloreaux, an inflammation of a facial nerve.

Old 03-12-2006, 07:07 PM   #8
    CobaltBlue
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Interesting....tricor, a fenofibrate has herpes zoster and simplex listed as side effects....

Just defies all logic

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mommabee
    I knew it was the Tricor, but couldn't seem to find the info I needed. Thanks!
    Not so sure on that one mommabee, it is way outside the norm as far as side effects from this med go...I could be wrong though (and that certainly would not be the first time)

Last edited by CobaltBlue; 03-12-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Old 03-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CobaltBlue
    Interesting....tricor, a fenofibrate has herpes zoster and simplex listed as side effects....

Just defies all logic

Not so sure on that one mommabee, it is way outside the norm as far as side effects from this med go...I could be wrong though (and that certainly would not be the first time)
    Sorry Cobalt...You'll have to argue with the people that make tricor... it came out on their product information sheet...and is also listed on lexicomp online....This time we're just the messenger

Old 03-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Momma,

It CAN'T be the Tricor that is next to impossible. Only 2 out of 100 show any type of side affects whatsoever. Or 20 out of 1000 and THAT is debatable as to what the side affect is...probably just a sore muscle.

My guess is that you have shingles. Typically shingles is another form of Chicken pox in adulthood. Have you ever had it as a child?

Old 03-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #11
    CobaltBlue
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by finres
    Sorry Cobalt...You'll have to argue with the people that make tricor... it came out on their product information sheet...and is also listed on lexicomp online....This time we're just the messenger
    Don't be sorry Sometimes it helps to realize what has to be reported, and why some weird associations result.

Here is a better explanation of why I worded my response that way....

I have a protocol for a drug study (lets say Brand X chewable vitamins) and purport it to be an appetite supressant. I submit the human use protocol to the institutional review board. It comes back approved. Suppose I solicit and sign up 200 participants. Let's suppose that in this unheard of case, zero paricipants fail to complete the study. However, during the course of taking this experimental vitamin to supress the hunger, four of my participants (who just happen to be roommates and heard of the study as a way to supplement their income) develop chicken pox. Now I report that 4/200 or 2% may develop chicken pox as a side effect to Brand X chewable vitamins.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #12
    MommaBee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MommaBee HB User

I am still not sure it was the Tricor. It seems to have gone away by itself now. I don't believe it was Shingles either. Just don't know. I am also in perimenopause and concedered that that could have caused it too.
    Thank you to all that replied!

Old 03-13-2006, 07:20 PM   #13
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CobaltBlue
    Don't be sorry Sometimes it helps to realize what has to be reported, and why some weird associations result.

Here is a better explanation of why I worded my response that way....

I have a protocol for a drug study (lets say Brand X chewable vitamins) and purport it to be an appetite supressant. I submit the human use protocol to the institutional review board. It comes back approved. Suppose I solicit and sign up 200 participants. Let's suppose that in this unheard of case, zero paricipants fail to complete the study. However, during the course of taking this experimental vitamin to supress the hunger, four of my participants (who just happen to be roommates and heard of the study as a way to supplement their income) develop chicken pox. Now I report that 4/200 or 2% may develop chicken pox as a side effect to Brand X chewable vitamins.
    Good explanation...but one of the participants could have gotten chicken pox due to the appetite supressant causing causing an immune problem in his body.... the room mates could have contracted it form him because of an immune problem in their body because they were in such close closed quarters.... But that is highly unlikely.... I appreciate what you said because it does make you question things (which should be done) and it made me think. However...you know drug companies, they would have pulled out the eye teeth with a pair of rusty pliers before they ever let anything go into the side effects that could possibly make them look bad...Unless it was unaviodable. My opinion is just that the tricor reduced the immune system ( as statins are known to do) and the latent chicken pox virus produced the shingles (herpes).

Old 03-14-2006, 03:51 AM   #14
    CobaltBlue
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by finres
    My opinion is just that the tricor reduced the immune system ( as statins are known to do) and the latent chicken pox virus produced the shingles (herpes).
    Good point there and I can't argue with that

Old 03-14-2006, 06:13 AM   #15
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think almost EVERYONE who has ever had chicken pox will develop shingles in the 4-5 decade window after the initial infection. The acquired immunity to the always present herpes zoster virus seems to last about that long. My bout with shingles was, to the year, 40 years after I had chicken pox (at age 6.)

Last edited by Lenin; 03-14-2006 at 06:13 AM.

Closed Thread