It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Lipitor Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
    Maverick1
    (male)

Maverick1 HB User
    Lipitor Questions

My Father has been on Lipitor for quite a while and is a very active and strong as a bull 67 year old. He recently within the last month or so developed severe pain in his legs . He can barely move , walk, now the pain is in his shoulders and he can't even lift a comb to comb his hair. He says it hurts to have his jacket on his shoulders. Once so fit, now he moves and acts as if he is 90+. He has stopped taking lipitor after talking to many who have had the same sysmptons. His docs are doing many tests, liver test came back normal, they did blood work and are waiting results of a cpk test. They want him to talk to a rumatoid arthritis doc, so we are waiting for that.. He is soaking daily in a hot tub and a suana and says that makes him feel better, but then once out, things go back to the way they were. Does anyone know what he can do? He can't sleep at nigh because he wakes up in pain and has to move to a different position which is painful ANy help would be greatly appreciated. He has been off this drug now for about 5 weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
    janeslk
    Veteran
    (female)

janeslk HB User
    Re: Lipitor Questions

My husband started taking high doses of CoQ 10 enzyme immediately after going off Lipitor. I think he was taking 500mg per day for the first few months and then tapered off. He was taking the regular soft gels, but has now switched to the Q gel type since it is absorbed better. His pain, however, started abating after the first week so I surprised your father is still in such pain. He also used a TENS unit to stimulate his muscles and that seemed to really help with the pain. My husband's CPK level was elevated for the first few months after stopping Lipitor.

Was your father's dose increased recently? Did his symptoms occur gradually or all of a sudden? I hope you find some answers from the tests. It may be something unrelated to Lipitor.

Jane

Old 03-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
    enie
    (female)

enie HB User

I hope the cpk is clear and his pain resolves by itself quickly. They are really checking your Dad out completely. Sounds like he has a good Doctor.
    Yes, statins can really cause a lot of pain and inflammation of the joints. It did my husband, even after he had stopped taking it for quite awhile. Just wondering, if everything else checks out OK (and I pray it does), did your Dad have a flu shot a little while befor the pain started? Or has he had an infection recently? My Mom had some experience with that problem and when I looked it up on the web I read that those things can bring about acute inflammation of the joints also. [Although you won't hear a Doctor talk about the negative side of flu shots.]
    enie

Old 03-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
    Maverick1
    (male)

Maverick1 HB User

Thanks for responding!

What is CoQ10. I have read about that in other places. No, he didn't increase any of the lipitor, it just started rather suddenly, first with his legs and then his arms and now his shoulders. He just said today he was able to bend over and tie his shoes for the first time in awhile.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maverick1
    Thanks for responding!

What is CoQ10. I have read about that in other places. No, he didn't increase any of the lipitor, it just started rather suddenly, first with his legs and then his arms and now his shoulders. He just said today he was able to bend over and tie his shoes for the first time in awhile.
    Maverick1,

It is not unusual for side-effects to happen after a prolonged time on statins. Contrary to what many believe, side effects do not necessarily happen within weeks or months of drug therapy commencement.

I would suspect your dad's muscle pain is statin induced. It can take a while to recover from it also, so tell your dad to be patient. It took 8 months after I stopped Lipitor (had been on 10-20mg for 7.5 years) before I noticed any lessening of pain or strength returning. However, I am now fully recovered - your dad can recover too...

CoQ10 is an important enzyme that is instrumental in proper functioning of the mitochondria, which among other things help with ATP (energy) production for the muscles. COQ10 is depleted by statins. It is thought that this depletion adversely affects the mitochondria, in turn causing pain and weakness. Taking supplemental CoQ10 (100-200mg/day at least) will help build up CoQ10 tissue levels over time. Finres posted before that it takes 6 months for each generation of mitochondria to renew itself - so it could help explain why it takes so long for some people to recover from muscle problems.

HubbleRUles

Old 03-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
    Imacarbuff
    (male)

Imacarbuff HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maverick1
    My Father has been on Lipitor for quite a while and is a very active and strong as a bull 67 year old. He recently within the last month or so developed severe pain in his legs . He can barely move , walk, now the pain is in his shoulders and he can't even lift a comb to comb his hair. He says it hurts to have his jacket on his shoulders. Once so fit, now he moves and acts as if he is 90+. He has stopped taking lipitor after talking to many who have had the same sysmptons. His docs are doing many tests, liver test came back normal, they did blood work and are waiting results of a cpk test. They want him to talk to a rumatoid arthritis doc, so we are waiting for that.. He is soaking daily in a hot tub and a suana and says that makes him feel better, but then once out, things go back to the way they were. Does anyone know what he can do? He can't sleep at nigh because he wakes up in pain and has to move to a different position which is painful ANy help would be greatly appreciated. He has been off this drug now for about 5 weeks.
    I have to agree with Hubble for sure. I stopped statins over one month ago and continue to have pains. I had hoped that once off the statins that I would bounce back very quickly. That has not happed...but as you've read, it takes 6 months for some of the regenration process to take place. It's very hard to deal with, and hard to be patient. I do get encouragement here when I see that others have also had to invest months and months waiting to get back to normal. I would take the COQ10 (I take 100mg but am going to at least 200mg) and 1000mg of Vit C. I also take Folic Acid 400mg.

Something I haven't seen others report, but other than the muscle aches I now continue to have low body temperature (95.5 at night zooms to 97 degrees during the day. This started at the same time as the muscle aches and burning. I still feel tired and weaker but try to keep a good attitude about this that it is temporary. I'm hoping that since I was in pretty good shape before this happened, that my odds of complete recovery are decent.

I hope the best for your dad.....I sure know how he feels
    Imacarbuff

Old 03-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

Zocor, also a statin, put my sister in a wheelchair after 6 weeks. She's now taking coenzyme Q10 and vitamin C each day. I ordered a pamphlet off the internet about statin recovery. I don't think that I'm allowed to name it here or not. It's got a lot of different advice and a long list of supplements to take.

Listen, we ALL need to call the FDA about these things AND the manufacturers who also have to report our calls to the FDA. Patients are SUPPOSED to be warned about myopathy BEFORE they take statins, so that, the very day they experience this side effect, they will know to quit taking the drug. Neither the nurse practitioner who prescribed or the drug for my sister, OR the pharmacist, warned her about this most common and serious problem. So, when she started to feel pain and weakness, she tried to live with it and only got yet another drug from the clueless nurse, for inflammation. My sister lived with the pain for another several weeks until I visited and found out she was on a statin. I did a quick internet search and found, in seconds, that myopathy is common. Just makes you wonder about the supposed "pros" and how much they really know about drugs. Make sure to report these things and encourage your doctors and pharmacists to warn future users. We all have that responsibility.

Last edited by Spin444; 03-08-2006 at 04:19 PM.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
    Maverick1
    (male)

Maverick1 HB User

Thank you so much for the info. My mom is going out right away to get that supplement for him to start taking. Hopefully it helps.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

She should probably start with 600mg of the COq10. Dr Dimauro from cornell suggested that 600mg is what you need for mitochondrial damage... you can reduce it after the damage has repaired.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #10
    Zimm
    (female)

Zimm HB User

Hi,
    I have been reading the posts on Lipitor and was truly amazed. I have been on Lipitor 10 MG for approximately 2 years and five months ago I started with pain in my upper back,chest and down my arms, I thought I had strained muscles because the pain was burning and really bad, well one night I couldn't take the pain and went to the ER. They did blood work,Xrays and took a Cat scan. They found gallstones and said that was probably one of the reasons for the pain,gave me muscle relaxants and pain pills which of course did not take away the pain,just made me float. I then saw my doctor who sent me to a surgeon who took out the gallbladder,still had the pain,had to see a Cardiologist who did tests,Stress,cardio cat scan and said I needed a Catherization. Well,they found three blockages,one was totally blocked but had formed its own bi-pass, I had one Stent put in,the other blockage is being treated with meds,but I still have the pain,which has always every once in a while seems to let up a little,but they did increase my Lipitor. Now, I'm wondering if this pain could be from the Lipitor since it really hasn't gone away,I have also noticed that the burning in my chest seems to be a little worse sometimes. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:29 PM   #11
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

It is from Lipitor. Look up myopathy and proximal muscle weakness. CPK levels are not always elevated even with the muscle. Recently it has been found that the cpk is not really a good test. You need to have a muscle biopsy. However as one doctor who is skilled in this area said. "Why do you want to go to the trouble to have a muscle biopsy. You have a myopathy. Period" There is also a conection with the gallstones and the Lipitor. I hope you are taking your COq10.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:57 PM   #12
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

I agree, it's probably the Lipitor. Funny how most doctors don't have a clue that myopathy is common. Just as in your case, so many people end up getting tests and treatment for things that may not even relate. It's rather like taking your car in and just saying that, "it isn't running right, fix it". Well, they're going to find some stuff to fix, but that doesn't mean that what they do, will make your car run the way it used to.

Myopathy's a serious condition too, so don't ignore it. Even the manufacturers suggest that patients be warned about the possibility of it, so they can quit taking it the day it presents itself. A person must quit taking the statin they're on, when they have unexplained muscle pain or weakness. The ignorance surrounding these types of drugs is just plain astounding. My sister went back to her doctor within a few weeks of being on Zocor. Her muscles in her right leg were very sore. She could hardly stand on it. The doctor not only didn't warn her about myopathy before she prescribed Zocor; she didn't even recognize it when she saw it and only put my sister on yet another drug, an anti-inflammatory! It wasn't until weeks later, after my sister ended up in a wheel chair and I found out that she was on Zocor and did an internet search, that I learned that she had myopathy. Heck, I didn't even go to medical school for 12 years! I often think that those of us who have any common sense at all and take a few minutes to do some research, know a whole heck of a lot more about drugs than the "pros" do. That's not really saying that much though, is it.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #13
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Yes spin... and why is it doctors can't read or follow directions...??? you think there is a medication for that..oh , maybe a statin!

Old 03-21-2006, 08:16 PM   #14
    Zimm
    (female)

Zimm HB User

Does the pain from the Lipitor continue all the time or does it sometimes let up, I have had it for 5 months but there are times when it seems to let up. Is this the same thing?? I know this sounds dumb,but I am very confused over this. Any answers appreciated.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #15
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zimm
    Does the pain from the Lipitor continue all the time or does it sometimes let up, I have had it for 5 months but there are times when it seems to let up. Is this the same thing?? I know this sounds dumb,but I am very confused over this. Any answers appreciated.

Yes it does let up... (or did in my mother's case).. She had good days and bad. Also, she took relafen for her joint pain, so that masked a lot of the lipitor problems. Because she didn't have any pain , her doctor said she didn't have side effects for the cholesterol medication, nor any myopathy. An expert at Cornell kicked that out of the window ...real quick. He said you do not have to have pain with muscle damage and muscle wasting. Also the reason it takes so long some times is that you have many, many muscle bundles that create motion. you can lose quiet a few and still not see any symptoms. However you get to a certain point and there are just not enough of them working anymore to move the muscles properly. Kind of like blood sugar..it can go up and up and up... and you really don't know it..but one day it hits.

Closed Thread