It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Statin with least side effect

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
    zigwyth
    (male)

zigwyth HB User
    Statin with least side effect

Hello all. I just got the test results back from my physical. Everything looks great except for Total count of 313. Good cholesterol was 68. Doc wants to see me and probably put me on statins. I am willing to try them, but have read enough now on this forum to be worried about the side effects. So, my question is which ones have any of you tried that may have been a little easier on side effects, especially some one with G.I. disorders already. Also, should I demand an Angiogram 1st before proceeding with statins? Am open to opinions, but am still worried about this high of a count.
    Thanks
    Zig

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: Statin with least side effect

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zigwyth
    Hello all. I just got the test results back from my physical. Everything looks great except for Total count of 313. Good cholesterol was 68. Doc wants to see me and probably put me on statins. I am willing to try them, but have read enough now on this forum to be worried about the side effects. So, my question is which ones have any of you tried that may have been a little easier on side effects, especially some one with G.I. disorders already. Also, should I demand an Angiogram 1st before proceeding with statins? Am open to opinions, but am still worried about this high of a count.
    Thanks
    Zig
    That is pretty high, but did your dr. suggest any sort of diet to try first? As far as statins, it is hard to say which one is likely to have the least side effects, as everyone is different. Only one I hear is really strong is Crestor, and U would probably be better off with something older that has been used more often, but also if U must go on any, ask for the lowest doseage.

I'm sure others will give their opinions also..Good luck...

Old 03-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zigwyth
    Thanks
    Zig

You need to lower your cholesterol - 313 is too high. Lipitor is relatively powerful and has a good track record of few side effects... That's the one I'd recommend... I'd also recommend diet and lifestyle changes. Cut back on saturated fats, sweets, alchohol, and consume more soluble and insoluble fibre from fruits and veggies and grains...

With any statin you should be aware of any sudden, unexplained muscle pains and stop the med if you notice any unexplained pains that continue for several days... I think you should be fine..

As for an angiogram, it is an invasive procedure, and I wouldn't have it done unless truly necessary. There is always the risk of infection, bleeding... with any invasive procedure... There is more risk to having an angiogram than in taking a statin... If you had a strong family history of heart disease, or if you are symptomatic (shortness of breath, chest pains) then I'd have it done, otherwise I would not.

HubbleRules

Old 03-14-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
    zigwyth
    (male)

zigwyth HB User

Thanks so far for your replies. I actually tried Lipitor 3 years ago. Couldn't handle the side effects. I may ask about Zocar and Pravachol. My Dad died of Heart disease, so that's why I asked about the Angiogram. I now did some research on it. Pretty scary Just wondering about all the so-called natural supplements. If anyone has had success with any of those?
    Thanks
    Zig-out

Closed Thread