It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Niacin Danger Question-- Is this a good supplement work up??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2006, 07:53 AM   #1
    Tenacious
    (female)

Tenacious HB User
    Question Niacin Danger Question-- Is this a good supplement work up??

I recall reading somewhere that too much Niacin can interfere with your Liver? my Husband has 3 months to change his diet, modify his vitamins to see if he can lower his results naturally. His # was 235, His LDL 162, His HDL 45, His Tri 145, His Ratio 5.2. He is 42 yrs old and thin. These are the things I plan to stick with as foods for every day and the vitamins/Supplements I want him to start taking (Learned most of this from this board) .....tell me what you think, if I need to correct any of this--I have a few questions after a few of thess.

Plan to Buy & have him eat every day:

Almonds
    Mixed Nuts
    Green Tea
    OATMEAL
    CINNIMIN 1/2 tsp a day in oatmeal.
    Apple a day
    Honey (for tea)
    FLAX SEED to Put on Cereal
    OILIVE oil
    Eat FISH 3 times a week
    Eat Eggs 3-4 times a Week
    ONLY Non Hydrated Margarine/butter
    Baby aspirin once in a while (do I need some Folic acid to counteract with this)
    Apple cider vinegar (if he can swig some now & then)

For supplements:

Time Release Niacin 1,000 mg a day (Helps HDL rise?)
    Not too much Red Yeast Rice (similar to statins) -a few times a week?
    FISH Oil (1,000) 2 times a day or total of 3,000 a day
    400 mg garlic (any certain kind I should buy??)
    Alpha Linolenic acid ----what is this exactly - should I add this ?
    1200 mg. liquid lecithin (few times a week)

Anything else I should add to this? I Usually use Puritan Pride for my Vitamin store, is this good ???

Any advice, please post! Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
    Re: Niacin Danger Question-- Is this a good supplement work up??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OverRunWithSons

For supplements:

Time Release Niacin 1,000 mg a day (Helps HDL rise?)
    Not too much Red Yeast Rice (similar to statins) -a few times a week?
    FISH Oil (1,000) 2 times a day or total of 3,000 a day
    400 mg garlic (any certain kind I should buy??)
    Alpha Linolenic acid ----what is this exactly - should I add this ?
    1200 mg. liquid lecithin (few times a week)

Anything else I should add to this? I Usually use Puritan Pride for my Vitamin store, is this good ???

Any advice, please post! Thanks

I don't think it's really necessary to buy any extra Alpha Linolenic Acid. The flaxseed already contains quite a bit of that.

The form of niacin to use may depend on what you're particularly concerned about. If you're mainly interested in increasing HDL, then an immediate-release form of niacin usually does a better job, and is easier on the liver. However, if you're also trying to lower LDL, then a time-release product may be preferable, although they are also harder on the liver.

I also order most of my supplements from Puritan's Pride. The niacin I use is simply the regular immediate-release form (250mg taken 4 times each day). I've been taking this for 20 years, and it has definitely increased my HDL.

Okay, and now for the garlic. I also order that from Puritan's Pride. I would suggest you order the "Maximum Garlic 6500". It is an enteric coated product which is standardized for its allicin content. This product should have the most beneficial effect on his HDL. That's the one I've been using, and I found that it has given me an added boost in HDL. I hope this helped.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
    Tenacious
    (female)

Tenacious HB User

Thank you, when you say Immediate Release form, what does this mean, --that it will give us the Flush? I just took a Niacin 100mg that is like 6 yrs old --I had some in my shelf, and it still gave me a horrible red itchy flush, at that low dose & being old even. I know my husband hated the Flush with this years ago, I am almost afraid to get something without it. Is FLUSH FREE Niacin the SAME as TIME RELEASE Niacin, I am VERY confused here. I don't want anything hard on the liver, but then again I dont' think he will be able to stand those itchy burning flushes either --what to do?

Old 03-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
    bushleaguer

bushleaguer HB User

The only time-release niacin I know of is in prescription form - called "Niaspan." According to my doctor, it's good as it spreads out the release of niacin throughout the day, but otherwise it is no different from the niacin you get at a health food store.

My doctor told me that "flush-free" niacin will not help with your lipid profile nearly as well as regular niacin (the stuff that makes you flush).

I had bad flushing when I started niacin, so I gradually upped the dosage over a period of time. I started out taking 50mgs/day, and today I am up to 500 mgs/day.

As far as how much is too much, I have read that anyone who intends to take over 500 mgs/day should have their liver checked as too much naicin for a person can cause their liver to get out of whack.

As always, check with your doctor.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
    Tenacious
    (female)

Tenacious HB User

So we should use the Flushing kind only ---and we need to gradually increase our dosage , does the flushing diminish after you take this awhile? Lets say I want to take a Maximum of 500 mgs a day, should I do (5) 100 mg's throughout the day? What is the best way to do this? Or (2) 250 mg's a day?? Thanks

Old 03-19-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Overrun,

First let me hit the ALA: alpha-linolenic acid is the plant based omega-3 oil. It is effective in itself and is convertible in small amounts into the fish oils EPA and DHA. Since you are planning to supplement fish oil, there's no need to go overboard but if you buy canola oil as your everyday vegetable oil, you'll get LOTS of ALA. It's also present in copiuos amounts in flax oil (linseed oil.)

Niacin is either fast acting plain nicotinic acid, or mixed with agents to help slow down delivery. THe amount in the bloodstream is what determines flush (I can turn beet red on some niacin I bought 25 years ago .
    The terms, time-release, intermediate release, extended release, slow acting, non-flush and inositol hexanicotinate...all mean the same thing: slow absorption, little or no flushing, more risk of liver damage...but still SLIGHT!

If you are turning red from 100 mg., don't consider the regular version. I tried for months to acclimate to it...IMPOSSIBLE! Use a non-flush or extended release formulation. I think there are very few people who can take 2 grams of the regular niacin day after day...I've never met one!

Old 03-19-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OverRunWithSons
    So we should use the Flushing kind only ---and we need to gradually increase our dosage , does the flushing diminish after you take this awhile? Lets say I want to take a Maximum of 500 mgs a day, should I do (5) 100 mg's throughout the day? What is the best way to do this? Or (2) 250 mg's a day?? Thanks
    If you're going to order niacin from Puritan's Pride, you'll notice that there are three different kinds to choose from. There is the regular immediate-release niacin, which comes in 100mg and 250mg potencies. A 250mg time release product is also available. They also carry flush-free niacin (inositol hexanicotinate), which is available in 500mg capsules. If you are really worried about flushing, you can try the flush-free form. It's supposed to work just as well, although it is more expensive. But if you'd prefer to use the regular niacin, I would suggest you start with the 100mg immediate-release version, and gradually increase the dosage as you get used to it. But I would hold off on the red yeast rice until you've given the niacin a chance first. I'd be a little cautious about combining red yeast rice with niacin.

You said that your husband has just 3 months to improve his numbers. Why only 3 months? Sometimes these things take a little longer than that, especially when you are experimenting with diet and various supplements in order to determine which combination works best.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
    jkhh
    (male)

jkhh HB User

Overrun,

His numbers have gotten worse since the Vytorin 10/20??? If I remember correctly, he had a huge drop in LDL and total and was splitting them. What happened?

I would recommend Slo-Niacin which is an OTC but a very good product. I have summarized some of their studies on another thread. It comes in 250 mg, 500 and 750. Myself and Lenin (maybe others ) have used it for a time, but Lenin is prone to go for the bulk discounted products . Anyway, sometimes you get mild flushing but nothing like with Niaspan or straight Niacin. What I think is most important is to keep up with Liver panels on labs (as I think we discussed in one of your other threads .

Last edited by jkhh; 03-20-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
    Connie122516
    Veteran
    (female)

Connie122516 HB User

IMHO, if he is taking any version of niacin, especially in relatively high doses like 1000 mg per day, and he is taking red yeast rice (which is similar in composition to the statins), he needs to be getting LFTs (liver function tests) done on a regular basis.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
    Siouxlander
    (male)

Siouxlander HB User

Read "The New 8-Week Cholesterol Cure" it has lots of info on niacin and other supplements. [removed] Good read for someone interested in lowering numbers without meds.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-22-2007 at 12:32 AM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find commercial websites.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #11
    jkhh
    (male)

jkhh HB User

"I would be very much obliged if one of the contributors posting on this thread stating that inositol hexanicotinate is more harmful to the liver than nicotinic acid would point me into the direction for confirmation of this.

As I have previously stated on this forum, inositol hexanicotinate has been used in Europe for decades, and is prescribed in Germany for High Cholesterol. Having researched, mainly in European medical journals for over one year, I have yet to read about liver damage proved to be caused by inositol hexanicotinate in doses of less than 2 grams p/day."

Bonytony,

Maybe it is more effective in Europe (better quality?)? In the US, I can't imagine that we would take regular Niacin (or extended release) if we could take Flush-Free with the same or better results than Niacin . Like Bushleaguer, my family doctor told me that it took much larger doses of No-Flush to affect lipid results. So, I tried it and it didn't make a dent in my Total, LDL but slightly increased my HDL. That was the time in my high cholesterol life just before Crestor . Trust me, the Flush-Free didn't work!

Last edited by jkhh; 03-21-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #12
    Jenteal
    Inactive
    (female)

Jenteal HB User

Niacin can cause irregular heart rates, cramps, headaches, and liver inflammation in doses I think over 1000 mg. It's been along time since I read my chapter on that.

Niacinamide and inositol are another form of Niacin otherwise known as B3 and so far have not had any side effects. I take the powder form of inositol twice a day. It helps my insomania has decreased my mood swings. Didn't help with my migraines cause those stemmed from my BCP.

They keep the powder form behind the counter cause people were stealing it to cut cocaine with. I have no idea why they do that. Each serving is 1/4 teaspoon with 600mg in each. For a bottle that has 378 servings it cost me $84.99 plus tax.

Jenteal

Old 03-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #13
    jkhh
    (male)

jkhh HB User

Bonytony,

As to the pressed grape juice, I'm still looking. Maybe I'll find some on my next trip to the big city!

I think these numbers are helpful. Maybe it was the Flush-Free that I took ! I may give it another try although I've been surprised with the good results from Slo-Niacin. My bigger concern is my constant battle with good numbers with Statins but then dealing with the mild to moderate side effects.

As to your original request, I've not really read of any of the liver concerns with Flush Free. As Lenin and others have pointed out before, it's a different element/composition but I think it's always advisable to have liver panels checked when a lipid profile is performed when one is introducing substances into their body to alter levels.

Last edited by jkhh; 03-22-2007 at 02:45 PM.

Closed Thread