It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• ice cream

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2006, 01:11 AM   #1
    pohaku
    (male)

pohaku HB User
    ice cream

Is it true you can eat all you want, ice scream and meat etc, as long as your cholestoral is nomal. I am taking Lipitor every day and my numbers is normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2006, 06:21 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: ice cream

"All you want" can cover an AWFUL lot of sins. Don't fight the Lipitor; instead help it out with a sensible amount of meats and ice cream.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
    pohaku
    (male)

pohaku HB User

what harms if you eat ice cream and meats while taking Lipitor, isnt the Lipitor suppose to take care the effect of the food?

Old 03-30-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Sort of like taking safe driving lessons to avoid accidents and then driving pie-eyed drunk.
    Lipitor HELPS with blood fats but it doesn't work miracles...it can be thwarted by eating extra fat at every opportunity..

Old 03-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
    pohaku
    (male)

pohaku HB User

This is the part which I don't understand quite well, I been trying to do the right diet and exercise for over a period of one year, and took some natural supplements. but the number would not come down. May be I am not doing correctly. Just like everyone else, taking meds is not my first priority, but no choice. After taking the Lipitor, the numbers was cut in half or more. So the only concern is the long term effect on my body. That also make me wonder if it will take care a little extra fats food like ice cream and meats and still be under control with good numbers. So should I take Lipitor the first place? if yes, how much tolerance or how much fats food you can eat without affecting the numbers.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by pohaku; 03-30-2006 at 10:21 PM.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

Doctors are supposed to recommend a cholesterol lowering diet before they prescribe statins. Then, if they still feel the need to turn to drugs, they're supposed to encourage you to stay on the diet. I think that, once in a while, it's okay to cheat, but what you do everyday is what really affects your health.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:22 PM   #7
    pohaku
    (male)

pohaku HB User

I think you are right, I have the other way arounded, I just bought a box of ice cream cones, this will be the last one I bought, at least for a little while.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:52 AM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pohaku,

If you look at your first post tou ask about eating "all you want" of the fatty foods; in your third post you say can you eat "a little" and still get good numbers.

Answer to first is NO and the answer to the second is "of course!"

I take statins so I don't have to live the life of a fasting monk in a monastery and I enjoy meat and OCCASIONAL ice cream...and still get an LDL of 69 and a total cholesterol of 126.
    If I ate ice cream and steak every night, I'm sure the Lipitor wouldn't give me numbers that good.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-01-2006 at 07:22 AM.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
    pohaku
    (male)

pohaku HB User

Thanks Lenin, thats the part I want to know more, isn't it nice by taking a pill, you can eat all you want without health problem?

Old 03-31-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pohaku
    Thanks Lenin, thats the part I want to know more, isn't it nice by taking a pill, you can eat all you want without health problem?
    Do you really believe that?

Old 03-31-2006, 11:47 PM   #11
    pohaku
    (male)

pohaku HB User

No I don't, but just like some people, you just want a little bit more out of it. I know you can only go so far before the adverse effect kick in. I was hoping someone will tell me how far I can go and I already got some advises. Of course something nice to hear will be welcome!

Last edited by pohaku; 03-31-2006 at 11:49 PM.

Old 04-01-2006, 06:35 AM   #12
    janeslk
    Veteran
    (female)

janeslk HB User

After following this discussion, I say, "Eat the ice cream". It is only a matter of time before a study comes out showing eating a scoop of ice cream a day is beneficial to your health.

Jane

Old 04-01-2006, 09:48 AM   #13
    pohaku
    (male)

pohaku HB User

Thank you very much, Jane. But are you really believe that?

Old 04-01-2006, 11:22 AM   #14
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
    Is it true you can eat all you want, ice scream and meat etc, as long as your cholestoral is nomal. I am taking Lipitor every day and my numbers is normal.
    Well eating ALL the Icecream and Meat you want will change your choleterol numbers so mite not be wise. If you really have to have lots of icecream than at least go for the ''low fat'' or if your in to the Atkins then ''low carb'', thats my take. I used to have that problem yrs back but thank goodness for frozen Blueberries.....

Old 04-01-2006, 07:49 PM   #15
    janeslk
    Veteran
    (female)

janeslk HB User

Quote:
    Thank you very much, Jane. But are you really believe that?

Well, not entirely, Pohaku. I just hated to see you agonizing about eating ice cream. It does seem as if a study comes out every few weeks that refutes conventional wisdom. I am thinking of a recent one that showed a little dark chocolate every day can be good for your arteries. Several years ago there was a big push to eat more and more pasta because it was good for you. Now you shouldn't eat a lot of regular pasta.

I grew up in a family in which we always had a little ice cream after dinner. Of course, I guess we all have low cholesterol. I am guessing because my 93-year-old father and 85-year-old mother have never had a cholesterol test.

My husband, who does have high cholesterol and a sweet tooth, eats yogurt whips. I don't think I can mention the name. They have sugar and fats, too, but not as much as ice cream. You may want to look for some alternatives to ice cream to satisfy that craving. Good luck to you and don't take me too seriously.

Jane

Closed Thread