It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• High cholesterol???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
    willowthewisp
    (female)

willowthewisp HB Userwillowthewisp HB User
    High cholesterol???

My Dr says my cholesterol is high? She also feels i have angina and i am waiting for hospital tests as i have bad chest pains. I know absolutely nothing about these condtions but 2 things are confusing me on this board, first of all someone on here has posted about statins?? and it seems that they may have unpleasant side affects, i am about to start simvastatin, is this a statin, it says i must take it at night time, is there side affects with this tablet, i have not taken one yet!!! Also people on here are talking about their cholesterol levels being in the 100's or 200's etc, well my dr says mine is high and was 6.4 and is now 6.8. Mine is not in the hundreds so what does 6.8 mean, she said mine should not go over 4? and it is wayover. I really dont understand all this, is 6.8 high and am i going to feel bad on simvastatin, as i feel ill enough with the chest pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
    AFH
    (female)

AFH HB User
    Re: High cholesterol???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willowthewisp
    My Dr says my cholesterol is high? She also feels i have angina and i am waiting for hospital tests as i have bad chest pains. I
    know absolutely nothing about these condtions but 2 things are confusing me on this board, first of all someone on here has posted about statins?? and it seems that they may have unpleasant side affects, i am about to start simvastatin, is this a statin, it says i must take it at night time, is there side affects with this tablet, i have not taken one yet!!! Also people on here are talking about their cholesterol levels being in the 100's or 200's etc, well my dr says mine is high and was 6.4 and is now 6.8. Mine is not in the hundreds so what does 6.8 mean, she said mine should not go over 4? and it is wayover. I really dont understand all this, is 6.8 high and am i going to feel bad on simvastatin, as i feel ill enough with the chest pain.
    I guess you mean your Cholesterol/HDL Ratio is 6.8? In the USA it should be under 4.4 so, you can tell how high of a number you actually have. I'm also on the high side now at 5.6.

I am not a doctor but I will suggest since you said you 'know absolutely nothing about these conditions' is to think about your daily diet. I don't mean to scare you but at this point you need to make drastic eating changes before things get worse because they can get worse quickly.

This past year I changed my diet to combat Diabetes and it worked so well that I am medicine free but now I am also dealing with a serious GYN situation and will most likely be having a Hysterectomy soon. Since my diet has been changed for the better - I seem to think it is my womanly hormones keeping my Cholesterol higher then it should be.

I know this all to well because I come from a family dealing with this so my knowledge of the situation is from experience.

The best thing you can do is read, read, read. Things may be confusing from the different stories you hear and read but once you know it all - then you can decide for yourself what is best for YOU!

Oh - this is very true about Statin use. On a personal note...I was on a statin for 4 short months and now I have 'permanent' muscle damage. This doesn't happen to all Statin users but it did happen to me.

Best of Luck!

Old 04-22-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
    hypatia
    Inactive
    (female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

AFH: Can I ask how high your statin dosage was? Did you take CoQ10 with it? I take Crestor and just don't want to wind up with permanent muscle damage like you did. Thank you.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

Crestor is the super statin. Some consumer group is trying to have it taken off the market. Many on this board use crestor and have received great numbers. Yes with any statin it is suggested a person take coq10 to alleviate muscle pain. My mom took lipitor for three or four yrs, but she didn't know about coq10 and her liver enzymes elevated and she suffered muscle damage. She walks with a cane now.

You might want to search this board and read thru some of the other posts about statins. Also you might want to do a search of your med to see what the side effects are. I did a drug tracker on zocor and discovered it can't be taken with the bp pill, verapamil. That's what my mom takes. Good luck and keep posting.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:05 PM   #5
    liverock
    (male)

liverock HB User

willowthewisp,

Do you live in Europe? If so your figures are probably for total cholesterol and will be different than in the US. If this is true your figures correspond to 6.4=256 US and 6.8=272 US,for your total cholesterol which are on the high side. You should check with your doctor if these figures are for total cholesterol and not the total cholesterol/HDL ratio.

Not everybody has problems with statins but if you have any problems then report them to to your doctor immediately. I trust you have also had diet recommendations from your doctor to help with lowering your cholesterol.

Last edited by liverock; 04-22-2006 at 02:12 PM.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #6
    Tobias
    Veteran
    (female)

Tobias HB User

"first of all someone on here has posted about statins?? and it seems that they may have unpleasant side affects..."

Yes, I'm sure they did but not everyone who takes a statin drug has trouble with it. Many take them and get along just fine. I will venture that you may find a higher-than-average % reporting problems with the drug on forums such as this one. It's the people who do have problems who are more likely to come here and ask about it which can skew the apparent results. I and my husband have taken a statin for several years (it is Lipitor) with no side effects.

I agree with a previous poster that you need to educate yourself on your conditions. Personally I would start at Medline Plus (Nat'l Library of Medicine, a U.S. gov. site) for an overview. You can also look up info on specific drugs there. Here's the link:
    [url]www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus[/url]

Your results may have been reported in mmol/L instead of mg/dl. Results reported in the former would be numbers such as you cite. As an example, 200 mg/dl would be the same as 5.18 mmol/L. That may account for the difference that you see in how the results were presented to you and what you are reading about here from people who were tested in a lab that reports mg/dl instead of mmol/L. Either that, or the number you cite is a ratio of some sort, not a report of TC or LDL or HDL. Your doctor or lab can tell you which it is.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:59 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Willow,

I wouldn't worry one bit about the side effects of simvastatin. I personally know around 10 people on statins and have NEVER met a person who has had any problem with them.
    Since it is very likely you have ischemic angina, a cholesterol ratio of 6.8 (TC/HDL) is the probable cause of it and MUST be controlled for the rest of your life. Simvastain will do that very well.

I've taken Lipitor for nearly 8 years and have never had a problem with it. My partner hads taken simvastain for 6 years with never a problem.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:29 PM   #8
    AFH
    (female)

AFH HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypatia
    AFH: Can I ask how high your statin dosage was? Did you take CoQ10 with it? I take Crestor and just don't want to wind up with permanent muscle damage like you did. Thank you.
    I was on 20mg of Lipitor and I had been taking COQ10 daily for 2 years before starting the Lipitor.

NOT everyone has the same reaction. My sister has been on it for 8 years without problems.

NOTE: As we get older, COQ10 is naturally depleted from our bodies. It is also depleted immensely while on statin drugs so as adults COQ10 supplements are a needed benefit for overall health.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:56 PM   #9
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    Willow,

I wouldn't worry one bit about the side effects of simvastatin. I personally know around 10 people on statins and have NEVER met a person who has had any problem with them.
    Since it is very likely you have ischemic angina, a cholesterol ratio of 6.8 (TC/HDL) is the probable cause of it and MUST be controlled for the rest of your life. Simvastain will do that very well.

I've taken Lipitor for nearly 8 years and have never had a problem with it. My partner hads taken simvastain for 6 years with never a problem.
    I would worry a lot about the side effects of simvastatin. I personally know 10 people on statins, and every single one of them has had side effects. There is no evidence that cholesterol causes ischemic angina..a more probable cause is low magnesium. WE will start seeing if a persons life span is reduced or lengthened by statins in years to come. AS the statin trials are now showing, higher cholesterol becomes more important the older you get.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:06 AM   #10
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

willow,

Ask your cardiologist if he thinks you should lower your cholesterol with statins.
    Then ask several people you know if they are on statins and how they feel. Ask your GP and anyone else you know in the medical profession.

Then make your decision accordingly.

PLEASE don't count on magnesium to solve any problems related to ischemic angina...it won't! PLEASE don't believe the boogey man stories you read on the net about statins...most are made up by people who have NO personal experience taking them and worse, who have no heart or blood vessel disease YET and think they don't NEED drugs.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-24-2006 at 06:18 AM.

Old 04-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #11
    AFH
    (female)

AFH HB User

Quote:
    willow,
    PLEASE don't count on magnesium to solve any problems related to ischemic angina...it won't! PLEASE don't believe the boogey man stories you read on the net about statins...most are made up by people who have NO personal experience taking them and worse, who have no heart or blood vessel disease YET and think they don't NEED drugs.
    I agree there is just as much bad advice and guidance out there as there is good. Not every person has the same background for dealing with the same disease. So, take it all as knowledge but also remember it's you that knows what's best for you.

Good Luck!

Last edited by AFH; 04-24-2006 at 10:49 AM.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #12
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    willow,

Ask your cardiologist if he thinks you should lower your cholesterol with statins.
    Then ask several people you know if they are on statins and how they feel. Ask your GP and anyone else you know in the medical profession.

Lenin I don't believe you've done any research on mangnesium, I believe it is in your best interest to search (seelig ischemic angina) I believe her credentials would far outweigh yours....and boogey man stories??? You might consider the people that have had problems. I agree that not all people will have problems..However as statins are relatively new...long term events cannot be properly evaluated. Muscle biopsies have show that muscle damage did NOT always reverse even 7 years after stopping the offending lipid lowering medication. (have you had a muscle biopsy?) As with personal expierience....no I have not taken statins...however people around me have. I have seen what they have done. I am skilled in observations for testing, and test protocol...I know how a test is to be run, and I am also skilled in collecting data to write a research paper. (not just on statins). If people in the general population have consistent, and similiar reports on the effects of lipid lowering thearpies they must be taken seriously. It is also interesting to note, that while there are some very good effects from statins , none of them were related to the lowering of LDL and total cholesterol. Could it be that people are being overdosed on statins, when actually a much , much lower dose would be more beneficial? People are so worried with numbers that they overlook the real health issues. Also on personal expierence have you taken arsenic or have you just heard of the side effects of arsenic?

Old 04-24-2006, 05:34 PM   #13
    Imacarbuff
    (male)

Imacarbuff HB User

Quote:
    willow,

I took statins for 8 or 9 years and they will bring your numbers down for sure-they did a wonderful job of that with me...especially Lipitor. For nearly all of the time that I took statins, I had very few problems....mostly just some stomach upset when the insurance companies told the doctor to switch brands from time to time. But last fall I started getting weaker and weaker and the muscle pains worse and worse. The back pain was bad and the legs not much better. But, now after being off statins for a few months-I'm doing better. Zocor was also a problem.

I know people who have had some problems with statins...and more who have not. Everyone is different and I'm sure that statins will help some and cripple some......and there will be many in between that. I'm sure most doctors will side with big pharma...what else do they know?

My doctor has now prescribed Zetia for me. I'm giving it a try. So far, an upset stomach and feeling tired is where I am with it. What else is there if you can't do statins?

I am trying nearly all of the supplements I have read about on this board, hopefully, the combination will be enough to keep the numbers where they need to be.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:03 AM   #14
    willowthewisp
    (female)

Thank you all for your replies, it is nice to see things from peoples different points of view. As of yet i have not taken any of my simvastatin as the DR said it cannt be taken with the tablets i am on. so i have another 2 weeks to wait before i start taking them. I will take them for a few weeks and i will put a post on here to say how i feel, hopefully i will be fine. once again thank you all.
    willowthewisp

Old 06-11-2006, 08:05 AM   #15
    willowthewisp
    (female)

one more thing i would like to add, i have spoken to my sister this week who has been on simvastatin for 5 yrs, she has been having terrible muscle cramps for about 8 months and is in great pain. her doc has given her quinine?? and other treatments for the muscle pain and he also says she has tennis elbow in her LEG?????? so has injected this joint. Well i have told her about the side affects some people can have with simvastatin and told her she must point this out to her doctor, but the doctor should really be pointing this out to her himself. Well last week my sis had a small stroke at the age of 47, mum had one aged 37. But the doctor is also now looking at the simvastatin for the muscle pain?? I still have not started taking mine.

Closed Thread