It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• What would be a high reading for HDL???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
    barbpom
    (female)

barbpom HB User
    What would be a high reading for HDL???

I have read here some have HDL readings of 40, 50. ALso some are saying a high reading is better. What would a high reading be??

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User
    Re: What would be a high reading for HDL???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barbpom
    I have read here some have HDL readings of 40, 50. ALso some are saying a high reading is better. What would a high reading be??

Thanks
    Barbpom,

A high HDL reading is definitely good - HDL is the good cholesterol - it helps return some of the bad-cholesterol (LDL) back to the liver...

For men, an HDL level under 40 is low.
    For women, an HDL level under 50 is low.

I've never seen any guidelines about what constitutes a 'high' HDL level, or read anything to indicate at what point HDL can be 'too high'.

Generally, I think the higher the HDL reading, the better off you are.

Some doctors will take someone whose total-cholesterol is too high, primarily due to high HDL, even if their LDL and Triglycerides are low, and put them on drugs. I don't agree with this.

The general goal in cholesterol therapy is to

lower LDL (<130)
    increase HDL (> 40 or >50 depending upon sex)
    lower triglycerides (<150)

These numbers can be modified based on additional risk factors one may have.

HubbleRules

Last edited by HubbleRules; 05-01-2006 at 11:37 AM.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:53 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I know a couple friends who routinely have HDL's over 100. I think the hoghest I've ever heard was 117.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
    ljwhorfin
    (male)

ljwhorfin HB User

my hdl level is always in the range of 85-95. this shoots my total cholesteral level up to where the doctor says he'd like it lower but w/ my high HDL it kinda skews the total reading (my LDL is usually 110, 110 + 95 = 205)

Old 05-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

I am so glad I read this thread. Granted my cholesterol is on triocor 250 but my hdl is 85 and I forget what the other numbers are but I have to go tomorrow and I will write them down. I do know that my triglycerides have always been within a good range. I will find out tomorrow.
    Lorrie

Old 05-16-2006, 04:07 AM   #6
    barbpom
    (female)

barbpom HB User

Well, looks like my HDL is on the high side then , it is 106...my try's are 63 and my LDL is 265. So I guess this is good then.

Barb

Old 05-16-2006, 05:40 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Barb,

No it's not!!
    An LDL of 265 is of great concern no matter WHAT the HDL's.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
    liverock
    (male)

liverock HB User

Barb,

I agree with Lenin, that LDL is double what is an acceptable level.
    Did you have these cholesterol readings done by a doctor? If so I cant believe he said that your LDL was acceptable.

There is a growing misconception among a lot of people that a high HDL is all that is needed to ensure a lowering of heart disease risk.

Nathan Pritikin several years ago did a survey amongst people who ran more than 15 miles a week and found that a lot of them were raising their HDL by booze and supplements, whilst at the same time eating a high fat, high carbohydrate diet and they thought they were safe because they had a high HDL. Some of them had an HDL of over 200, but most of them ended up with blocked arteries.

There was also a false idea among the athletes that running over 1,000 miles per year would "clear the arteries of plaque" as they put it. That also proved to be a false idea.

You have to get your LDL down, the sooner the better.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #9
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

I just got back from the doctor with pen in hand. My HDL is 85 My LDL is 143 and my Tri is 77 . Total 243 He said he is happy with this being my hdl is 85 does everything else look good to all of you? Since I was in my early 40's my Cholesterol has always been high i topped out at 335. My weight has always been 115 and I have always eaten a well balanced diet so this is genetic. My husband also just got back from his heart doc. Ever since he finished treatment for LC he has had many PVC's and has been going for various tests. His total number is 187 but his HDL is 40 his doctor said that was fine. What is to low or lower then norm?
    Lorrie

Old 05-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
    Well, looks like my HDL is on the high side then , it is 106...my try's are 63 and my LDL is 265. So I guess this is good then.

Barb
    Barb,

Are you SURE you got these numbers correct? Is your LDL really 265, or is that supposed to be your total cholesterol?

Old 05-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #11
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
    Barb,

Are you SURE you got these numbers correct? Is your LDL really 265, or is that supposed to be your total cholesterol?

Sounds like the 265 should be the TC, as the way I calculate it, that would make her LDL 146. If those are her correct numbers, her ratio should be about 2.5. Don't sound bad to me.

Last edited by JJ; 05-16-2006 at 04:01 PM.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #12
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

There must be a mistake somewhere. Barb reported different numbers in an earlier thread (Blood test results, can you help?) dated May 1st. She reported a TC of 291, HDL 106, LDL 172, and trigs 63. So, my guess is that she was mistaken about the LDL being 265.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:17 PM   #13
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
    There must be a mistake somewhere. Barb reported different numbers in an earlier thread (Blood test results, can you help?) dated May 1st. She reported a TC of 291, HDL 106, LDL 172, and trigs 63. So, my guess is that she was mistaken about the LDL being 265.
    Yup, she has something wrong, as this I can calculate as being right, with a ratio of 2.7. Oh well, maybe she has the paperwork and can post the proper numbers. I know when I asked for my report 2 weeks ago, the copy is off center, so had to really look hard for the proper numbers. Sheesh, how hard is it to put a paper in a copier so it all shows? Oh well, I got the lab work from the lab anyway, at least their copies I can read.

We actually got sun about 4 p.m., WOW, can we handle it?........

Old 05-17-2006, 04:30 AM   #14
    barbpom
    (female)

barbpom HB User

Oh goodness, I got it wrong, here are my numbers HDL 106 my LDL 172 and Triglycerides is 63. Total cholesterol is 291.

I was posting with out looking at my blood readings. Sorry, is this better???

Barb

Old 05-17-2006, 07:19 AM   #15
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Oh goodness, I got it wrong, here are my numbers HDL 106 my LDL 172 and Triglycerides is 63. Total cholesterol is 291.

I was posting with out looking at my blood readings. Sorry, is this better???

Barb
    Ok, that is better, but your TC and LDL are still kind of high even with a nice HDL. Don't know if U are on anything or not, but I would try really hard to get those 2 numbers down.

Make sure U put fiber into your diet like oatmeal, bran etc., limit your red meats to maybe 3 days a week, and then small portions. U can always fill up on fruits and veggies. I know some of the produce in the stores around here aren't really in season, so I usually buy frozen stuff, or even canned fruits in lite syrup. When we had a visiting nurse here for hubby last month, she told me to rinse off the canned fruit to lessen the sugar, as he is type 2 diabetic.

I'm sure other folks will post to you some of the things they have done to lower their numbers, and U could read thru the posts to get a few ideas. With such a nice HDL and low Trigs., if U could get those TC and LDL numbers down, your dr. would have nothing to crab about.

Good luck......

Closed Thread