It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• High Triglycerides

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
    BethyGirlie
    (female)

BethyGirlie HB User
    High Triglycerides

Does anyone know of any supplement that can lower triglycerides? My triglycerides are sky high and I'm only 26, and I'm scared that I'm going to have a heart attack if I don't get them down. Any advice? I am currently on a low-fat diet and I have lost 60 pounds so far.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
    Fathersson
    Inactive
    (male)

Fathersson HB User
    Re: High Triglycerides

Fish oil - specifically the ingrediants DHA and EPA. There is extremely good evidence that these lower triglycerides and slightly bump HDL (they don't seem to do much for LDL). There is even a new prescription medication made from fish oil called omicor.

To specifically impact triglycerides, you should be looking at over the counter supplements that will give you anywhere from 2 to 4 grams of combined EPA plus DHA (ie. you need to read the labels to find out how much EPA and DHA are in any given brands formula).

I take Nature's Bounty fish oil in the 1200mg soft gel formulation, but there are other very good brands. I take 6 soft gels (3 with breakfast and 3 with my evening meal), which gives me a daily total of 2160mg EPA+DHA.

There was even a Consumer's Digest review of fish oil brands last year (?). Try to buy one that has distilled oil, as that will help ensure that any heavy metal contamination in the fish has been removed.

My triglycerides went from 684mg/DL to about 150 now with the above combination of fish oil and fenofibrate (Tricor). Tricor is a prescription med. so don't concern yourself with that until you've tried alternatives. Avoid too much dietary fat, sugars, and especially alcohol. Most people with high triglycerides seem have them spike with alcohol, I know mine do, even one beer a week before a lipid panel will elevate mine.

Try the fish oil by itself for awhile before you even think about any prescription meds though. The main side effect from fish oil typically is intestinal discomfort and gas, although I've never experienced any issues with taking it.

Last edited by Fathersson; 05-12-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fathersson
    To specifically impact triglycerides, you should be looking at over the counter supplements that will give you anywhere from 2 to 4 grams of combined EPA plus DHA

My triglycerides went from 684mg/DL to about 150 now with the above combination of fish oil and fenofibrate (Tricor). Tricor is a prescription med. so don't concern yourself with that until you've tried alternatives. Avoid too much dietary fat, sugars, and especially alcohol.
    BethyGirlie,

In addition to Fathersson's advice, I'd suggest cutting back on simple carbohydrates (most packaged foods), and reduce your overall calorie intake. Try to eat more veggies and increase your fibre intake. Of your carbohydrates, chose those with a low glycemic-index (you can easily find listings of GI for various foods online).

I tried the fish oil - was taking a total of 2000mg DHA+EPA daily, and it did impact my lipid levels noticeably. Not everyone's cholesterol responds to fish oil. I would imagine the Tricor is responsible for most of the triglyceride reduction above.

By the way, what are your triglyceride and cholesterol levels?

HubbleRules

Last edited by HubbleRules; 05-12-2006 at 06:20 PM.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
    BethyGirlie
    (female)

BethyGirlie HB User

Triglycerides- 1000 .... Total Cholesterol 250....

Doctor put me on Tricor....I'm going to start taking fish oils though too....

I'm afraid that I'm going to have a heart attack one of these days, I am only 26...hopefully I will get these levels down to a manageable number.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
    Fathersson
    Inactive
    (male)

Fathersson HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HubbleRules
    BethyGirlie,
    I would imagine the Tricor is responsible for most of the triglyceride reduction above.

HubbleRules
    Actually, yes and no. Dietary changes, increasing exercise and 145mg/day of Tricor did manage to get my Triglycerides down into the mid-to-high 300's. Given I started out in the high 600's, that's not insubstantial, and actually in the maximum observed reduction range for fenofibrate. It was the addition of the fish oil that finally got my TGs below 200, and for the last 6 months or so, sitting in the 150 to 170 range. So actually, in terms of percentage reduction, the fish oil had about as much affect as the tricor.

I've had enough lipid panels in the past 2 years to know that stopping either treatment (tricor or fish oil) causes my TGs to rapidly start climbing.

As with any medication or supplement, your mileage may (read = will) vary)

Last edited by Fathersson; 05-13-2006 at 06:39 AM.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

My triglycerides are usually normal. ONCE I had a blood draw after 2 Manhattans (well, maybe 3 ) and I got a triglyceride level of 300.
    Maybe it was the cherries???

Old 05-13-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
    Rick49
    (male)

Rick49 HB User

....I lowered my triglycerides from 350 to 97 by following a diet based on the glycemic index of carbohydrates. The glycemic index is a rating system of how fast carbohydrates are metabolized. The faster a carb is metabolized the worse it is on our systems due to excess insulin being released. The slower a carb is metabolized, the slower the insulin response is and therefore no excess insulin. High triglycerides, hypertension (high blood pressure), and PCOS are some of the things that have been related to the excess levels of insulin.
    ...Since the GI didn't effect my HDL and LDL, I started taking extra fiber (30g per day) and saw a further reduction in my triglycerides to 70's and my total cholesterol went from 225 to 183. I have since reduced my fiber to 20g's per day and I'm waiting on the results of my blood work to see if they went up.
    ...I didn't take the fish oil but I did take the Flax oil for several months. I also saw my tri's go to 150 except that I had already gotten them down to the 97. So I think it depends on where you are when you start as to the effect of the fish oil and flax oils. It may also depend on where your at as to how well the GI works also. If a persons tri's are in the 1000's it may take both.
    ...Remember the GI is not a Low Carb plan, It's just a rating system of carbs. I eat just as many grams of carbs as I used too but I just j=choose different carbs than I used to. To of the carbs with a higher rating than Table Sugar are potatoes and some varieties of rice. Some white breads are high on the index also. Even though they aren't sweet, White starches have more of an effect on our metabolism than sugar.
    Rick

Old 05-13-2006, 08:08 AM   #8
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Since you say you are eating low-fat, my guess is that part of the triglyceride problem may be that you are over-doing it on the wrong carbohydrates. Carbs can raise trigs! That doesn't mean you need to go low-carb, just that you need to choose them carefully.

Others above have mentioned the glycemic index of foods. GI values tells you how rapidly a particular carbohydrate turns into sugar. But it doesn't tell you whether there is just a little or a whole lot of that carbohydrate in a particular food. If you find a table which instead shows the GLYCEMIC LOAD, that will give you a much better idea of what foods you can eat with a minimum of problems and which might be best to avoid. Foods with a high glycemic index but a low glycemic load could then be included, it wouldn't restrict your diet as much, yet because there is so little of it in the food, there would be minimal effect on your triglycerides. Also, those foods that are loaded with a particular carb might show up as only moderate on an the glycemic index but very high on the glycemic load.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
    gardeninggal
    (female)

gardeninggal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BethyGirlie
    Does anyone know of any supplement that can lower triglycerides? My triglycerides are sky high and I'm only 26, and I'm scared that I'm going to have a heart attack if I don't get them down. Any advice? I am currently on a low-fat diet and I have lost 60 pounds so far.

Thanks
    Bethy, You have gotten some good advice about what foods to eat but as far as a supplement there is one and it is called Chromium Picolinate. This Chromium is found in brewer's yeast but most people don't care for the taste and take the tablets instead. The information I have is 90% of the people are deficient in it. Those who are diabetic often take it to help with spiked glucose and insulin and the latest thing I read said it also has demonstrated the ability to lower LDL in the blood and raise HDL. Being I am borderline diabetic I take one tablet which is 400 mcg. (note not mg's but rather mcg.) I take it after a meal in the evening to help with the glucose tolerance factor. Also may I add if you are on low fat that is fine as long as you get enough protein and not over doing on the Carb's

Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gardeninggal
    Bethy, You have gotten some good advice about what foods to eat but as far as a supplement there is one and it is called Chromium Picolinate. This Chromium is found in brewer's yeast but most people don't care for the taste and take the tablets instead. The information I have is 90% of the people are deficient in it. Those who are diabetic often take it to help with spiked glucose and insulin and the latest thing I read said it also has demonstrated the ability to lower LDL in the blood and raise HDL. Being I am borderline diabetic I take one tablet which is 400 mcg. (note not mg's but rather mcg.) I take it after a meal in the evening to help with the glucose tolerance factor. Also may I add if you are on low fat that is fine as long as you get enough protein and not over doing on the Carb's
    Hi gardeninggal...where do U purchase yours? Another question, what is your glucose level that U are considered borderline diabetic? I know mine fluctuates alot the last 2 years, but so far the dr. hasn't said anything, but anyday now I am expecting her to say she wants me on meds. for that too. Mine hoovers between 109-115. No wonder my BP is up when I go to her, she never has any good news, and I am always expecting her to want to shove another med on me.

I got my back X-ray results, as I called the office, even though they don't want U to, I said to hell with them, I'm calling. I pay for these tests, so I feel I have a right to know. All she said was, there seems to be a lil arthritis maybe setting in, well DAH, I knew that 20 yrs. ago, as I have had back problems for over 30 years due to disc problems. I'm telling ya, the women just doesn't listen to me worth a squat........... Now I can shell out another bunch of money for a test I really didn't need. Oh God, where do I find these drs.??????

Hope your staying dry, we are waterlogged up here.......

Old 05-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #11
    gardeninggal
    (female)

gardeninggal HB User

Hi, JJ, boy you said it about Doctors and boy those test are really expensive but being I have Medicare I notice they won't pay what the clinic asks and just pays what they think is fair and that helps.
    About the Chromium Picolinate I buy mine when the GNC store in the mall has a 2 for one prices. I read long ago that it was a good thing to take to help with the glucose peak that happens after a meal. I only take it after supper because that one is the largest meal of the day. Years ago over 20 years I think, I had one of those long glucose test where you drank this horrible sweet stuff and then sit around for hours as they came in and drew blood periodicaly the result was they said I was borderline. When my son had his blood work up just this last month and his glocose was 112 they told him he was borderline and they consider anything from 100 to 125 as borderline and anything over is diabetic. Being that mine is about the same as my son I decided it was a wake up call. I know that as you age it gets worse and I have seen too many people have terrible side effects from diabetes and I guess I better do something now. I have never been a heavy person but as of late I notice the tell tale belly fat and I realize that is put there by too much glucose/insulin.
    We are so wet here in MN. over two weeks of rain and gloom and I am sick, sick, sick of it. I am one of those that needs sunshine to get myself in gear and get going. Today we had some sun in the afternoon and I felt chipper. Talk about cause and effect...how is this...we bought a 3/4 ton truck and a 30ft 5th wheeler and guess what....the gas skyrocketed and talk is it will reach $4.00 a gal. Why do we even try !!! You can't wait to retire and maybe travel and you know the rest. Hope your back don't trouble you too much you really need a break.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gardeninggal
    Hi, JJ, boy you said it about Doctors and boy those test are really expensive but being I have Medicare I notice they won't pay what the clinic asks and just pays what they think is fair and that helps.
    About the Chromium Picolinate I buy mine when the GNC store in the mall has a 2 for one prices. I read long ago that it was a good thing to take to help with the glucose peak that happens after a meal. I only take it after supper because that one is the largest meal of the day. Years ago over 20 years I think, I had one of those long glucose test where you drank this horrible sweet stuff and then sit around for hours as they came in and drew blood periodicaly the result was they said I was borderline. When my son had his blood work up just this last month and his glocose was 112 they told him he was borderline and they consider anything from 100 to 125 as borderline and anything over is diabetic. Being that mine is about the same as my son I decided it was a wake up call. I know that as you age it gets worse and I have seen too many people have terrible side effects from diabetes and I guess I better do something now. I have never been a heavy person but as of late I notice the tell tale belly fat and I realize that is put there by too much glucose/insulin.
    We are so wet here in MN. over two weeks of rain and gloom and I am sick, sick, sick of it. I am one of those that needs sunshine to get myself in gear and get going. Today we had some sun in the afternoon and I felt chipper. Talk about cause and effect...how is this...we bought a 3/4 ton truck and a 30ft 5th wheeler and guess what....the gas skyrocketed and talk is it will reach $4.00 a gal. Why do we even try !!! You can't wait to retire and maybe travel and you know the rest. Hope your back don't trouble you too much you really need a break.
    Well I seem to notice these newer drs. are extremely number happy, and mine has a hissy fit if U are so much as 2 pts. over on anything, she really makes me bats!!! My old dr. always knew my numbers for everything went up and down, so he just watched, and unless he saw something really out of the ordinary would pat me on the back and give advice if he felt I needed it. I swear this new one doesn't know how to smile. LOL I thought for sure when my last Lipid test was done a few weeks ago she would have been a lil more pleased and at least said .."Well your really trying and things are looking a lil better", but nope, all she saw was the TC and LDL went up a lil and freaked out. Sheesh, give me a break, and a lil encouragement. Her attitude actually makes me feel like..why even bother trying, she isn't happy with anything. Last time the TC was great as was the LDL, but the Trigs were 146 and the HDL was 43, so she wasn't pleased with that. This time the HDL was 62 and the Trigs 99, which brought my ratio to 3.5 compared to last time when it was 4.5. Seems ya can't please her.

I've heard about those glucose tests, and although hubby has never had one, he is type 2 diabetic, so I know about what can go wrong. So far since he has stopped the Prednazone and insulin, he has been doing pretty good with just being back on the pills, so he is a happy camper for now. He went thru hell for over 3 months, so it is nice to see him back to his old self. We still have a ways to go yet, but hey, things are looking up......

I just watched the weather, good grief, I keep looking in the mirror to see if I'm turning moldy yet. This is unbelievable, and yes, my friend in MN. is pretty disgusted as well. I'm just afraid we are going to go right into hot and humid, no spring or fall the last few years, just winter and summer.... Yup, our gas is up over 3.00 now, and I see no relief in site. I'll be ready for Medicare in Sept. OH JOY!!!! Can't believe they will give it to me at the ripe old age of "39"......... Of course now the fun will begin with all these new plans, oh isn't getting older a total blast!!! NOT! Thanx for the wishes with the back, some days aren't too bad, and then of course we have the bad days, but hopefully more good then bad. Our GNC closed a few months ago, but I think they have one in the next town, so will look for it.

Hubby stoped at Costco today, as we were going to go tomorrow, but he was in the area so he stoped and picked up a few things. When he came home he told me to sit down, as I would NEVER guess who he ran into. Come to find out, our old dr. of 32 years was there, saw hubby and stoped him and asked how we were doing. He had retired a few years ago, due to a few health problems, but told hubby he hated retirement and now that he is up and doing so much better, has decided to open his office again, but only 3 days a week. I guess they chatted for about a 1/2 hr., and he told hubby to tell me if I didn't like my new dr. to stop down and see him, he would be glad to see me and even help get me a dr. I liked, or he himself would treat me. I almost flipped out, good thing I WAS sitting down. Hey, I just might take him up on the offer, he sure was good to all of us for many years. At least I know if this new one drives me nuts, I have an escape....

Thanx for the tip and well wishes, and I'll keep ya posted. Stay dry.........

Closed Thread