It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• JJ, about Chromium Picolinate....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
    gardeninggal
    (female)

gardeninggal HB User
    JJ, about Chromium Picolinate....

Hi JJ, Say I found this article about Chromium and thought you might be interested in hearing it. This was written by William Cefalu MD. of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center of Baton Rouge... He said "talk to your doctor about chromium picolinate, we recently looked at people taking a common kind of diabetes medicine called sulfonylureas and those who took the supplement (Chromium Picolinate) with their medication had better control of blood sugar, less weight gain and significantly lower body fat accumulation than those wheo didn't."
    I had read before that this mineral helps lower elevated blood sugar and may help prevent diabetes I had also read that it helps with weight gain and helps you shed a few lbs if needed. It all made sense to me because elevated blood sugar makes you gain weight around the mid-section. The same place where I read Doctor Cefalu's article had another article which said that cinnamon really helps lower blood sugar a lot and (I find this hard to believe) it also said they tested people who ate apple pie with generous amounts of cinnamon in it and they showed a blood sugar decrease after eating it. Guess I will have to eat a lot of apple pie and call it therapy LOL. Sunny day's to you

Last edited by gardeninggal; 05-26-2006 at 11:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: JJ, about Chromium Picolinate....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gardeninggal
    Hi JJ, Say I found this article about Chromium and thought you might be interested in hearing it. This was written by William Cefalu MD. of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center of Baton Rouge... He said "talk to your doctor about chromium picolinate, we recently looked at people taking a common kind of diabetes medicine called sulfonylureas and those who took the supplement (Chromium Picolinate) with their medication had better control of blood sugar, less weight gain and significantly lower body fat accumulation than those wheo didn't."
    I had read before that this mineral helps lower elevated blood sugar and may help prevent diabetes I had also read that it helps with weight gain and helps you shed a few lbs if needed. It all made sense to me because elevated blood sugar makes you gain weight around the mid-section. The same place where I read Doctor Cefalu's article had another article which said that cinnamon really helps lower blood sugar a lot and (I find this hard to believe) it also said they tested people who ate apple pie with generous amounts of cinnamon in it and they showed a blood sugar decrease after eating it. Guess I will have to eat a lot of apple pie and call it therapy LOL. Sunny day's to you
    Hi there gardeninggal..Sheesh, good thing U posted, I forgot all about it. My CRS must be in full swing....... Hubby just had a drs. appt. yesterday too, but that's ok, he has 2 more next week, so I am writing it down NOW and will take it with me to the drs. Maybe if he takes it he can lower some of his meds. and I could get my numbers a lil lower. Even though they are ok now, they are still over the 100 mark, so last thing I need is problem to crop up. As far as the cinnamon, I have been taking it for about a year, so far my cholesterol numbers have been getting lower, so maybe there is truth to it. I know this last time my TC and LDL were up a bit, although my HDL and Trigs. were really good. Then again, with all the problems with hubby, I truly have NOT been doing all the good things for myself like before. U know how it is, someone else always comes first, and U let yourself come second.

I'm definitely NOT eating pie, way too many calories, so we will just leave them in the store. LOL I think hubby goes to the cardio guy the end of June, I'm not sure, he has so darn many appts. I can't keep track. Next week I know it is a cat scan, and I think on the 6th is his pulmanary dr., but I will ask anyway. I just don't want him taking anything that will interact right now with some of the meds. he takes now, although he has been being taken off a few of them, can't wait till a few more are gone. Poor guy is a walking pharmacy. Thanx again for the info., good grief, I find more info on this board then I do at the drs.. Hope U have a great Memorial Day weekend, raining here right now, but suppose to be nice for the weekend.

Enjoy, relax and be good to yourself.........

BTW..I just take a 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. of reg. ground cinnamon U buy in the store, think I pay like 1.29 a jar.

Last edited by JJ; 05-26-2006 at 01:02 PM.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Gardeninggal....I did a web search on chromium picolinate and there is alot of negative stuff about it. Basically they say U can get the recommended daily dose of chromium by eating certain foods:

Food sources of chromium are meats, unrefined foods (whole grains, fruits and vegetables), fats and vegetable oils.

Here is more from the articles I found:

However since people have started to supplement with chromium picolinate, there have been several cases of toxicity which resulted in chronic renal failure and accumulation of chromium in tissues. Persons with behavior disorders are warned to avoid chromium supplements.

Definitely think more web searching about this is in order. Like everything, better to do our homework then take the word of people trying to sell more suppliments. I take suppliments, but only the ones I know are ok and I don't do mega doses, not my style. If I find anything else out, will let ya know.

Old 05-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

JJ, my Basic Nutrition professor said that the average American diet doesn't provide enough chronimum bcuz the soil has been depleted of it. However, my mom's Centrum Silver does (really it is Wal-Mart brand Equate( shows chronium in it.

I forgot to add that my too much chronimum can cause problems. I think a good multi-vitamin would do the trick.

Last edited by lane413; 05-26-2006 at 05:43 PM. Reason: add comment

Old 05-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lane413
    JJ, my Basic Nutrition professor said that the average American diet doesn't provide enough chronimum bcuz the soil has been depleted of it. However, my mom's Centrum Silver does (really it is Wal-Mart brand Equate( shows chronium in it.

I forgot to add that my too much chronimum can cause problems. I think a good multi-vitamin would do the trick.
    That is half the problem with our food, the soil is really depleted of soooo much. Yes, I read that too much can cause problems, I forgot exactly how much they said we need, but it was not that much. Oh, I just did a search and this is what it said:
    The Institute of Medicine has determined that the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for chromium is 120 mcg. Recent clinical research, however, suggests that 200-400 mcg is required for achieving optimal health benefits – including proper insulin function, weight control, and cardiovascular health.
    Most Americans find it hard to get the recommended daily allowance for chromium through food intake alone. In fact, USDA research indicates that the average American’s diet provides only about 35 mcg of chromium a day.

One of the most effective solutions to low chromium intake is dietary supplements, namely those formulated with chromium picolinate - the most effective form of chromium available. If you’re like most adults, 400 mcg of chromium may be a better dosage for obtaining additional health benefits. Remember to consult your physician before adding any chromium supplements to your health regimen.
    Guess I will have to check my vitamins to see if it has any. I usually by the CVS brand of multi vitamins. I know my old dr. told me to just make sure I had a good B/C complex, but I know there is more stuff in my multi besides B/C. I didn't even know Wal Mart had their version of Centrum, thanx for the tip, as I know the regular Centrum is expensive. Of course what isn't? LOL

Old 05-28-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

The Wal--Mart brand is called equate mature complete multivitamin and it is inexpensive, like $5 or $6 for a bottle of 100. the bottle says compared to Centrum Silver. It has 150 mcg of chronmuim. I know my mom's glucose readings are better. I don't know if it is bcuz of the new vitamins or bcuz of her exercising more outdoors. She like to garden and it is planting season.

Also thanx for the info I know I read it somewhere.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lane413
    The Wal--Mart brand is called equate mature complete multivitamin and it is inexpensive, like $5 or $6 for a bottle of 100. the bottle says compared to Centrum Silver. It has 150 mcg of chronmuim. I know my mom's glucose readings are better. I don't know if it is bcuz of the new vitamins or bcuz of her exercising more outdoors. She like to garden and it is planting season.

Also thanx for the info I know I read it somewhere.
    I'll be due for new vitamins soon, so will definitely check it out at Wal Mart. I think I pay 7.00 for mine at CVS. It might be a combination of the vitamins and the outdoor work, we all know keeping busy helps alot of things. When hubby was in the hospital, when his sugar was so nutty, they use to tell him to walk the halls to help bring it down. Oh the things we have to go thru to try and stay as healthy as possible. My exercise has been almost nill with all this fool rain we have had this year. When we do get a good day, I go like the wind to try and get spring cleaning done. At the rate I am going, by the time I finish, it will be time for fall cleaning. LOL God I need a smaller house, getting too old for a big raised ranch...........

Have a great weekend, and TTYL......

Closed Thread