It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Does anyone have any side effects with COQ10?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
    Zimm
    (female)

Zimm HB User
    Does anyone have any side effects with COQ10?

Hi,
    I really would appreciate any answers to this question. It's rather imperitive that I get an answer.
    Many thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
    Fathersson
    Inactive
    (male)

Fathersson HB User
    Re: Does anyone have any side effects with COQ10?

The only ones I have heard of are rare. Minor side effects may include headaches, dizzy spells, insomnia, and nausea.

Major side effects include drug interations. CoQ10 can reduce the effectiveness of warfarin, so a dose adjustment may be necessary if on anti-coagulation therapy with coumadin. CoQ10 can also lower glucose levels, so diabetics need to be wary if taking it.

There apparently is no known toxic limit, but it seems the insomnia reports and restlessness occur most often for people taking 300mg or more daily.

I've been taking 100mg twice daily, to try and offset muscle pain from statin therapy. So far, I cannot say I've noticed anything negative. I'm also not at all convinced that I'm seeing anything positive either, and given the cost, I'm thinking of maybe giving it up once my current supplies are gone.

Last edited by Fathersson; 05-29-2006 at 02:29 PM.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
    Zimm
    (female)

Zimm HB User

Thank you Fathersson,
    I have been having headaches, cramping,stomach pain,nausia,bloating and some diarhea for5 days now,I am on blood thinners and I wasn't sure if it was causing it and I was warned not to stop,but the digestive sides were driving me insane, I've only been on COQ10 for 10 days and didn't have the problem like this before.
    thank you for your help,everything I could find says no side effects so I didn't really know what to believe. I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

Old 05-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
    Imacarbuff
    (male)

Imacarbuff HB User

I have been taking 100mg of COQ10 for about 5 months now to aid in the recovery from statins. I personally can not say that I have felt any side effects from taking it....and I would like to think that it has helped in getting me to where I am today.....MUCH BETTER.

I have no idea how much is too much...or how long one needs to take this after they feel like they have recovered completely. My Dr. did not feel like I needed it after he pulled me off of Zocor....but said that "it wouldn't hurt me".

The sites I have visited have always said that COQ10 is generally well tolerated.....but, everyone is different.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:52 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I dooubt that Co-Q10 causes any serious problems which is the case with most substances the body itself can make.
    I've been taking it for about 3 years, first at 100 mg. a day, then 50 mg. I just finished the last bottle. I really saw no positive (or negative) effects from it and so I'm not going to buy anymore.

At $30 and up a bottle, it's too expensive to take just because it's advertised...if it were $10 a bottle then maybe I'd continue.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-30-2006 at 03:53 AM.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:46 AM   #6
    hypatia
    Inactive
    (female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

Lenin: The Spring Valley brand Co-Q10 I buy from Wal-Mart is less than $10. Do you think these cheaper brands have any nutritional value at all, or am I wasting my money?

Old 05-30-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I took 10mg of COQ10 for many years without any problems. When I increased the dosage to 50mg, I suffered from chest pains and a fast, hard heart rate, so I backed it back down to 10mg and I was OK.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:03 AM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

hypatia,

How many pills at what doseage do you get for the $10 at Wallmart?

I'm pretty sure the cheaper pills are as trustworthy as the priciest.
    After all if someone is going to commit fraud, he might as well do it with a good return!

Consumer Labs has given the SPRING VALLEY BRAND (made by NATURE'S BOUNTY) an approved rating. They said that one brand had zero Co-Q10...but then they didn't tell which..held that as a teaser.

To get dosages into perspective this is interesting:
    Quote:
    Possibly the most important details are those related to ubiquinone body pool and turnover rate that mandate human supplementation. Adult human body pool has been found to be approximately 2 grams[32,33] and requires replacement of about 0.5 grams/day based on its average turnover rate of about 4 days in various tissues.[34] This must be supplied either by endogenous synthesis or from exogenous sources. Synthesis decreases progressively in humans above age 21. Furthermore, the average ubiquinone content of the western diet is less than 5 mg/day.[35] Thus, ubiquinone supplementation appears to be the only way for older people, and certainly the ill, to obtain the major proportion of the 0.5 gram/day need.
    So our bodies need to make or eat a half gram, 500 mg./day. It would seem from this that tiny doses wouldn't be of much use. Even if the body's production is cut in half with age, it wouldn't seem that adding even 50 mg./day wouldn't be of much use...just a drop in the empty bucket. The impication of "supplementation...to obtain the major proportion of that .5g/day" implies taking at least 250 mg. CoQ10 and that's not gonna be cheap, no matter WHAT brand!

If anyone can find any data on the amount of ubiquinone (CoQ10) that the elderly or statin users actually make in their bodies, give a post.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-30-2006 at 10:08 AM.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
    hypatia
    Inactive
    (female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

Thanks for the definitive info, Lenin. I buy 30 of the 100 mg CoQ10 softgels for about $10-11 and take one daily. At 65 I'm an 'older people', but, as you say, 250 mg daily would be a little pricey.

BTW, prior to going on Crestor 10 mg and reading about CoQ10 here, I'd been taking CoQ10 for probably five years for heart health....Patty

Old 05-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #10
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

Are you still taking statins ? What you are describing are the exact symptoms i had while taking statins . I had better be near a bathroom after eating most foods while I was on statins . I know numerous other people that had the same problems . It magically went away after stopping statins...

Old 05-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #11
    Zimm
    (female)

Zimm HB User

Hi Vipergg22,
    I'm on Zetia, I never had these problems when I was on lipitor, I just started with horrible pain in my upper back,chest and down both arms. This went on for 5 months with mega testing,gallbladder removal,catherization and stent placed. Because of this I really need to be on cholestral meds,but the problem is finding one that my body will accept,I am terribly sensitive to meds, I even had a reaction to COQ 10. I'm praying there is one that will agree with me. I even had to cut back on my blood pressure meds ,from 50 mgs to 25 mgs. It ain't fun to go around with either terrible pain or exagerated digestive problems, as you well know. Thanks for answering my post.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #12
    janeslk
    Veteran
    (female)

janeslk HB User

The only thing I have read about CoQ10 lately was a woman saying it reversed her husband's impotence while he was on Crestor so I guess it is good for organs, too.

Jane

Old 05-31-2006, 04:35 PM   #13
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

There really haven't been any side effects from Coq10 even with people taking 3000 mg per day. My mother takes 600 mg per day. People with parkinson's should take 1200 mg per day....not less than 1200 which appears to be the effective dose. This is from one of the world's leading experts in Coq10 deficiency,....search (DiMauro and Coq10).... My mother's neurologist did suggest that some people can have problems with certain brands of CoQ10. He said this is not from the COQ10, but from the different binders and fillers that the different companies use.

Closed Thread