It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• My mom's lab results are in and I need help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User
    My mom's lab results are in and I need help!

Hi All! i just received my mom's lab results and i have some questions. I hope I'm not being too annoying, but the dr. did not go over anything with us at the visit. The only thing he said was that the "TC had dropped 40 points and to increast the zocor to a whole pill every day." He also said for my mom to increase her verapamil to 240 mgs and to take clonidine .02 instead of clonidine .01 3 x daily. My mom mentioned her concern about taking zocor with verapamil and he said "oh nonsense, the pharmacist shouldn't have told you that, it's perfectly fine to take the two together." I know that's not true bcuz his partner told my mom not to take the two together, Lenin and Finres (on this board) showed proof that the two can't be taken together and I did a drug tracker.

Here are the lab results:
    Glucose: 143 H
    BUN: 13 (RANGE 8-20)
    Creatinine 1.2 (range 0.7 - 1.2) she is on the high part of range is this bad?
    AST 22 range 7 -37
    ALT 41 range 20 -65
    Cholesterol 246 H (range 100 -200)
    trigs 184 range 100 -190 Why is the range so high, I thought it ws suppose to be lower than 100
    hdl 50
    ldl (calc) 159
    chol/hdl ratio 4.9

Once again i need to know if my mom's liver enzymes are alleviated, can anyone tell from the info provided. My mom was on zocor and we need to know bcuz when she was on Lipitor her enzymes were high but the dr. never said anything to us.

Secondly, which of these tell the function of the kidneys? My mom is having some bp problems (severe spikes) the dr. said there is nothing to worry about, but he is the same one that said it is ok to take zocor and verapamil.

Any help will be appreciated. She she take the zocor or not?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: My mom's lab results are in and I need help!

Sheesh, U are getting mixed messages aren't U? I'm not at all sure about the Zocor and BP meds., but if the pharmacist said not to mix them I think I would believe him. Alot of times they know the interactions better then the drs. Is it possible to ask the other dr., cause I also would be leary of what this dr. is saying. I hope U get some answers, that would drive me up a wall.

Here is what I found on kidneys:

Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) is a waste product produced in the liver and excreted by the kidneys. High values may mean that the kidneys are not working as well as they should. BUN is also affected by high protein diets and/or strenuous exercise which raise levels, and by pregnancy which lowers it.

Creatinine is a waste product largely from muscle breakdown. High values, especially with high BUN levels, may indicate problems with the kidneys..

Uric Acid is normally excreted in urine. High values are associated with gout, arthritis, kidney problems and the use of some diuretics.

All I can say is good luck, as I wouldn't know what to believe either...

BTW..I don't think her liver enzymes are elevated, as that is usually the ALT and the AST, and hers look ok.

Last edited by JJ; 06-02-2006 at 04:57 PM.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

Thank U Jj for responding. Yes we are both confused, my mom and me. I noticed her BUN is at the top of the range chart, which is 1.2 and hers is 1.2. Does that mean that she has kidney problems are not? We're really scared bcuz of the last usage of statins, lipitor to b exact. Also, we can't understand why the cholesterol, and the ldl went down, but the hdl also went down. I noticed her trigs went up from the last time, which was 149.

All this stuff is getting on my nerves, and the dr. doesn't explain squat. My mom had no side effects from zocor, not like when she used lipitor.She is willing to take the zocor to reduce the cholesterol, but NOT at the expense of her kidneys or her liver.

BTW, how is your husband doing with his cholesterol and glucose? I remember he was having some problems. Is he taking anything for his cholesterol? He is also diabetic am I correct?

Old 06-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
    Fathersson
    Inactive
    (male)

Fathersson HB User

While your doctors tone may have been a bit brusque, it actually is okay to mix verapamil and a statin under a doctors supervision. The combination does increase the risk of general myopathy and outright rhabdomyolysis, but so do a number of drugs when combined with a statin. Search the web and you'll read that fibrates and statins should never be combined, yet that is not true. For many people with high triglycerides and cholesterol, tricor is often prescribed along with a statin. Again, the risk of muscle pains and problems is greatly increased, but it's not a given that you'll experience those side effects, and the combinations of these different drugs is not prohibited.

You do need to be more aware and mindful of any muscle pains or weakness, and immediately let your doctor know if you have any such symptoms while on the combination of drugs. And the dose of zocor should be kept down - the FDA recommends no more than 20mg zocor daily if taken along with verapamil (read that warning at www.medscape.com, for reference).

Old 06-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lane413
    Thank U Jj for responding. Yes we are both confused, my mom and me. I noticed her BUN is at the top of the range chart, which is 1.2 and hers is 1.2. Does that mean that she has kidney problems are not? We're really scared bcuz of the last usage of statins, lipitor to b exact. Also, we can't understand why the cholesterol, and the ldl went down, but the hdl also went down. I noticed her trigs went up from the last time, which was 149.

All this stuff is getting on my nerves, and the dr. doesn't explain squat. My mom had no side effects from zocor, not like when she used lipitor.She is willing to take the zocor to reduce the cholesterol, but NOT at the expense of her kidneys or her liver.

BTW, how is your husband doing with his cholesterol and glucose? I remember he was having some problems. Is he taking anything for his cholesterol? He is also diabetic am I correct?
    Hi Lane..To be honest, I really can't answer about the kidney thing, but as U said, she is at present at the top of the range, but maybe that will change next blood test. Once my Thyroid was off the charts, and noone knew why, yet the next blood test it was perfect???? As far as her HDL, from what I have heard, if the Trigs. go up usually the HDL goes down. I truly wish I had more answers for you, but I don't. Just happen to bookmark a site that tells U how to interpet your bloodwork levels, do a web search for it, as I don't think I can post the URL. I'm sure someone with more knowledge can answer more of your questions, but I can imagine how U both must feel. Can't stand it when a dr. will not go over the results with you and give answers, been there myself, but dumped that guy in a hurry. I had a red mark on the back of my neck near my hairline, and sometimes it would itch and asked him what it was, he told me a BIRTHMARK. LOL Not for nothing, but a birthmark U get at birth, not at age 62........

Hubby has been doing pretty good the last couple of weeks, he is only checking his sugar twice a day, most times it is in the right range. Naturally he has to watch what he eats, but don't we all. The cholesterol so far is doing ok, have to wait till maybe Aug. or Sept. for another test, as he sees the cardio guy late July. No, hubby will not take anything for his cholesterol, he had 7 years of that stuff and now refuses to even think about it. Luckily his drs. know what he went thru, so they stay off his back.Today was another chest CT scan, and tuesday is the pulminary dr., then next week is the prostate biopsy. Sheesh, are we keeping these drs. in business or what?

Please keep me posted how things are going, and I hope U get more answers, I know I would want a second opinion, but that is me. Try to relax, I know it is hard when your confused and upset, but I don't think your mom is in any major trouble at the present time, but keep an eye on things.

Sending U and your mom the best of wishes.......

Old 06-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lane..as far as the Trig guidelines, they are right, it isn't below 100. Seems the Trigs have a bigger span then most everything else, but of course the lower the better, but with your mom being diabetic, having high Trigs sometimes goes with it. I know hubby has had nasty Trigs. for years, usually up in the 300-400 range, and he also has low HDL. When the Trigs do come down some, then his HDL goes up a lil. Hang in there, things have got to get better, at least that is what I keep telling myself each day......

Just try and make sure your mom stays on a nice low carb diet, as nothing will up the Trigs more then those bad carbs. Also, do a web search for low glycemic foods and also low glycemic load, it is very interesting how some things can shoot the sugar up real fast.

BTW, what was her BP, as U said she was getting spikes? Some people think certain foods shoot their BP up, but I'm not up on that either. Oh Lordy, ain't I just a bundle of info. huh? Oh well, I know more folks will give U some input, this site has some great folks who do their homework, and I've learned alot from many of them, and could stand to learn more.......

Old 06-02-2006, 08:00 PM   #7
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

Fathersson, thank u for the info and the link. i think I will wait until the next dr. visit (she will have a new dr in Aug.) before we do anything with the zocor. Thats too bad, bcuz my mom was doing well with zocor and not too many complaints. She suffer really bad with the lipitor for three or four yrs. My mom was left walking on a cane, and she still does after stopping statins for a yr.

My mom is at high risk so we have to do something. I think a second opinion may be in order. Maybe a dr can change her bp med so she can continue with the zocor. Our dr. is leaving the state and a new dr. has been assigned for the next appt.

JJ, I am glad things are working out for your husb. It seems you guys will be quite busy the next few days. Well good luck and thanx again for the info. I will have to research more about the kidney thing.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #8
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seeing U will be getting a new dr. in Aug. that just may be what U need, someone with a whole new outlook on the situation. Yes, we will be busy for the next few weeks, but hey, at least he is making progress. He can always tell when his sugar is too low, as he starts to sweat and gets a lil shaky, and this usually happens if it goes below 75. Most of the time he has been averaging about 119-135 and that range is comfortable for him.

Good luck, and hope all turns out fine so your mom's BP and cholesterol will be well controlled......

Old 06-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

JJ my mom's bp is running about 130/80, but sometimes (rarely) it runs up to 200/102. I think her potassium was running low. i am diabetic myself so it is hard going to school, working full-time and caring for my mom and dad.

Her bp is usually good when she go for her usual three mile walk. I guess we will just wait and see what happens with the cholesterol. My mom is afraid that her kidneys and liver will get screwed up again. As long as she feels o.k. and can still walk she's fine.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #10
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wow, U sure do have your hands full. Seeing U will be seeing another dr. soon, maybe it would be best to just let the cholesterol meds. go and concentrate on keeping her BP under control. The 130/80 is good, I know they want it 120/70, but that isn't idealistic for many folks, and having spikes that high is not good for her. Maybe her spikes could be from worrying too, if she is afraid of the drugs, maybe it would do her good just to lay off them for awhile till things settle down. I know I freak out when I go to the dr. as I know she is going to have a hissy fit if my cholesterol is higher then the guidelines, that is why I told her I am not going to go thru what I did on cholesterol meds. before. For now she is staying off my back, but I doubt it will last forever, as she is a numbers freak. At home my BP is fine, let me go to her and it shoots up to 150-160/90, so I am convinced it is totally nerves.

U try to take care of yourself, and I'm sure your mom will settle down once U guys get a dr. U can talk to and get some answers from. I know what it is like to have a dr. that just wants to toss meds. at you and it drives me up a wall. Hopefully things will setlle down for U and the family.

Take care and keep us posted how it all goes........

Old 06-04-2006, 12:24 PM   #11
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

Thank U jj, and I hope things settle down for you and your hubby. My mom is in college also and she is hanging in there. She feels fine and work in her garden every day. She planted a lot of veggies and roses. i don't think she gives it much thought until she goes to the dr. and he starts his bs about her dropping dead.

He is a good dr. most of the time, but he uses "scare tactics" and that is what gets my mom to try the drug. Once she try them and get sick she have regrets.

Well gotta go but you have a great day!!!

Old 06-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lane413
    Thank U jj, and I hope things settle down for you and your hubby. My mom is in college also and she is hanging in there. She feels fine and work in her garden every day. She planted a lot of veggies and roses. i don't think she gives it much thought until she goes to the dr. and he starts his bs about her dropping dead.

He is a good dr. most of the time, but he uses "scare tactics" and that is what gets my mom to try the drug. Once she try them and get sick she have regrets.

Well gotta go but you have a great day!!!
    She sure keeps busy and that is great. I hear ya about the scare tactics, that is why I dumped my last dr., he all but had me 6 feet under. Last time I went to him I walked to the desk, asked for my bill and paid it, and never returned. I was a basket case by the time I got home, and furious!

Thanx for the well wishes, always appreciated, and U hang in there as well...

Old 06-04-2006, 09:52 PM   #13
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fathersson
    While your doctors tone may have been a bit brusque, it actually is okay to mix verapamil and a statin under a doctors supervision. The combination does increase the risk of general myopathy and outright rhabdomyolysis, but so do a number of drugs when combined with a statin. Search the web and you'll read that fibrates and statins should never be combined, yet that is not true. For many people with high triglycerides and cholesterol, tricor is often prescribed along with a statin. Again, the risk of muscle pains and problems is greatly increased, but it's not a given that you'll experience those side effects, and the combinations of these different drugs is not prohibited.

You do need to be more aware and mindful of any muscle pains or weakness, and immediately let your doctor know if you have any such symptoms while on the combination of drugs. And the dose of zocor should be kept down - the FDA recommends no more than 20mg zocor daily if taken along with verapamil (read that warning at [url]www.medscape.com[/url], for reference).
    It is still not ok to mix verapamil with most statins. The are metabloized by the same pathway in the liver 4503A4. Verapamil causes a 3.9 (times) increase of the statin. Since they are both metabolized in the liver the statin will build up in the system as it is not metabolized completely.Just because you are under a doctors care does not mean it is alright to mix conflicting medications. Doctors can prescribe any combination of medications they want to. Liver and kidney damage can occur before you start to have visible symptoms. Some are not reversible

Old 06-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #14
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

Thank U finres! I hoped you or Lenin would respond as well. I was quite concerned bcuz of my mom's lab reports. The zocor seems to have lowered her ldl a little, but her creatinine and ast/alt went higher as well.

My mom has decided not to take the zocor until she see the new dr. My mom suffered greatly from liptior use and she's afraid to try again. Although, we are please with the lower numbers, we just can't chance it.
    Thank you for responding, I know you have gone thru a lot with your mom and her care. I am trying to avoid the same things happening to my mom. Thank you.

Closed Thread