It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Cinnamon, Garlic & Fish Oil Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2006, 07:34 AM   #1
    smyrnaboy
    (male)

smyrnaboy HB User
    Cinnamon, Garlic & Fish Oil Questions

I am clueless when it comes to these supplements. Perhaps y'all can help me out:

1. Can you take all of these at once?

2. Do any of these counteract the other?

3. What are the side effects (collectively or individually)?

4. Does one in particular work best?

5. Do any of these interact with other drugs (either prescription or OTC)?

Thanks-I'm 32, male, normal weight, but have borderline high TC (239). My LDL is the only elevated number-my tri's and HDL are normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
    Fathersson
    Inactive
    (male)

Fathersson HB User
    Re: Cinnamon, Garlic & Fish Oil Questions

Given what you write, I wouldn't bother with the cost of any of them. If your only problem is a mildly elevated LDL, then just follow a low fat, low carb diet, high in fibre (that is, soluble fibre - whole wheat bran, oat bran, nuts, etc). Do that, and increase your exercise level, and you may well see those LDL levels drop quite a bit.

Of the supplements, fish oil is the most cost effective, in terms of getting enough to really effect lipid levels without draining your wallet. But fish oil (or more specifically EPA and DHA) is much more effective at lowering triglycerides then LDL cholesterol. All of the controlled studies with garlic are either negative, inconclusive, or involved taking so much garlic daily that you'll go bankrupt buying the capsules. Cinnamon again is one of those supplements of questionable benefit in terms of lowering cholesterol (the most oft cited study, the Pakistani study, used a very small sample of patients and ran for only a very short period).

Both fish oil and garlic may enhance the effects of coumadin in thinning the blood, so people on blood thinners need to be wary of that possible effect. None of the 3 you mention should have any combinatorial effects if taken together. High doses of fish oil or garlic can cause intense intestinal discomfort for some people.

Seriously though, I would try simple diet and exercise before I'd spend any money on dietary supplements. Those two things should always be the first on the list of interventions for lipid control (well, unless you clearly are way over the top for cholesterol or triglycerides, which you are not).

As an example, my sister reduced her LDL levels from a high of around 167mg/dL to about the high 90's, where they have stayed for the past few years. All she did was modify her diet, and start taking daily long (brisk) walks. Her HDL went up to - she has an LDL/HDL ratio of right around 1.0! (last numbers she told me were 98/96).

Just my $0.02's

Last edited by Fathersson; 06-07-2006 at 08:45 AM.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

My mom had to discontinue to garlic capsules bcuz it caused her to have stomach discomfort as Fathersson spoke of. Now she just use fresh garlic in her cooking. The fish oils she reduced to one a day instead of the three daily bcuz she kept burping.

I don't know if it helps to use those things or not bcuz my mom had to go on zocor. She still uses cinnamon for her diabetes.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:57 AM   #4
    beck6035
    (female)

beck6035 HB User

I don't usually post since I am relatively new to the board. But I have reduced my TC by taking 2 cinnamon capsules (1am, 1pm) per day, and 4 fish oil capsules in the evening (with dinner). Now while my Tri's were within the normal range before starting this (125-150) I was able to bring them down to 80. This in turn caused my HDL to go up 10 points. And I like that.

As to cost. The cost is very small. You can get the cinnamon for about 6-7 bucks for 100 capsules at walgreens. And if you watch the sales you can get them at 2 for 1. This is the same for the fish oil. Now as to the burping with the fish oil. I have found for me that I have less burping when I take the fish oil right before eating dinner. This way the food kinda weighs down or covers up the fish oil. Works most of the time. When it doesn't and it really bothers me I just have a small peppermint and that takes care of it.

There are no side effects with either of these 2 supplements. Don't take the garlic so I am of no help there. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Becky

Old 06-08-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
    Fathersson
    Inactive
    (male)

Fathersson HB User

One thing with the fish oil, check out the supplier to be sure it's a good safe preparation. Typically, you want a supplier who distills their oils to remove any contaminants, such as mercury, lead and such (which unfortunately are found in high concentrations in many fish species). There is a list prepared (07/2003 ?) by consumer reports magazine of good, contaminant free suppliers, and another one at consumerlab.com in 2004.

http://www.consumerlab.com/results/omega3.asp

Old 06-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

The only side effect my mom mentioned (and others on this board) is the fish burps. I guess the brand would make a difference.

As statins are dangerous for my mom, I guess we will just keep searching for natural methods to reduce cholesterol. BP meds don't make this easy bcuz many of them increase glucose and cholesterol.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:37 PM   #7
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lane413
    The only side effect my mom mentioned (and others on this board) is the fish burps. I guess the brand would make a difference.

As statins are dangerous for my mom, I guess we will just keep searching for natural methods to reduce cholesterol. BP meds don't make this easy bcuz many of them increase glucose and cholesterol.

Coreg has been found not to increase either. This is a beta blocker. The other beta blockers are known to increase both. However beta blockers decrease Coq10 and it is advisible to supplement.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

Thank U finres. My mom saw an add in our Diabetes Forecast and thought she might want to try it, but she doesn't want a beta blocker. Toprol xl did a number on her.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lane413
    Thank U finres. My mom saw an add in our Diabetes Forecast and thought she might want to try it, but she doesn't want a beta blocker. Toprol xl did a number on her.
    My mother also had a problem with the Toprol xl. It could have been the xl (extended release part). Coreg is twice ad day. However later this year they will have a once a day available.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:36 AM   #10
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

For information on cinnamon go to the USDA website and do a search on the studies they have , it can lower levels up to 26% along with lower tri's and ldl . Mine has gone down noticably since starting it , also no side effects. On the bottle says to take 2 twice a day with meals . I have generally been taking 2 once a day , and it is nice because it is cheap just got 2 bottles for 1 at the local K .

Old 06-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #11
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

Vipger, 26% drop is really a very good result. Did you have very high cholesterol (287 or so) bcuz my mom did, and she only got a 40 pt drop with zocor. Also, do you take bp meds such as clonidine or verapamil? They both can raise cholesterol and so any drop my gets would have to be a signifacant drop to make up the cholesterol elevation from her meds.

Maybe I will have her start back with the cinnamon.

Closed Thread