It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Muscle Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
    starship
    (female)

starship HB User
    Muscle Pain

Hi To All,

Is there a way of knowing if muscle pain is being caused from a statin drug or from arthritis. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: Muscle Pain

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starship
    Hi To All,

Is there a way of knowing if muscle pain is being caused from a statin drug or from arthritis. Thanks.
    I think there are certain tests that can be done, but if U didn't have the pain before, it might be the meds. Only way many folks find out is to go off the meds. for awhile and see if the pain goes away, although it doesn't always go away right away. Best thing to do is talk to your dr. and see if he/she can work with U to find out. I had nasty GI problems while on statins, so had to go thru alot of GI testing, and the dr. couldn't find anything else to cause the discomforts except the meds.

Good luck......

Old 06-30-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Your doctor could do a CPK test; however, now-raised reuslts do NOT indicate that you have a muscle or liver problem. Just as people with a heart attack will have an elevated CPK test right after a heart attack..that raised level frequently does not continue. CPK will indicate damage being done, not damage done. Kind of like a fire..once the flames and smoke are gone the damage has been done. A muscle biopsy is probably a better indication; however, that also can be negative. If they take a muscle sample for a section that happens to be fine, it doesn't mean that the neighboring section of muscle is not damaged. The muscle test is testing for damaged mitochondria. As Jj said, a good test is to stop taking the offending (probable) agent. She is again right in that the problem might not go away right away. As my mother has been told, and has found out by trial and error, it takes 6 months for the mitochondria to start to repair. THis is due to the natural cycle of mitochondria. It is suspected that statins are not eliminated from the system as quickly as they once thought. JJ, I've been looking for this information for u and finally found it in one of my 15 cholesterol file boxes. ......Dietary cholesterol plays and important role in maintaining the health of the intestinal wall. People on low cholesterol diets tend to suffer from gastrointestinal problems, including "leaky guy syndrome" I "personally" think this would explain a lot of the gastrointestinal problems people have with zetia, as it stops the absorption of cholesterol in the intestines...(or so they say). Hope you're doing well...Mother has finished her cardio rehab after her by-pass surgery. She did well. SHe stopped (on her own)...the zetia she was taking. This was on May 2, 2006. She has started on the Zetia app. november of 2003. She had been on zocor and lipitor before, starting in 2000. I can absolutely chat her bad and good times...and they are all tied to her lowering cholesterol...(the bad times being when her cholesterol was the lowest)...Her neurologist said her problems are a cause of a damaged cerebellum... (he will not say it was due to cholesterol medications), but then again he won't deny it either. He did tell her it was up to her...but she should decide what she wanted to do when she couldn't speak and couldn't move at all without assistance. He said it might be a good idea to go off of the Zetia for 6 months (due to mitochondria repair)....but it was her call. Funny how they force feed those cholesterol medications to you...but they never take you off of them. She told him she went off of it on May 2. He also told her he wanted to go to physical thearpy 3 times a week for ever!!!. This didn't seem to bother her, as I think she really enjoys it. I think when she sees people worse off than her it gives her some incentive. This week she started physical thearpy. He has her walking 700 feet with her roller walker...standing (unassisted) betweeen the bars...for 2 minutes at a time....and she is almost able to get into bed by herself. SHe did start her needlework again, for the first time, since those wacko's put her back on the Zetia right before her bypass surgery. (within 3 days starting the Zetia she began having pains in her legs, hips and shoulders.) Her physical thearpist said he is going to really work her next week, and to make a space in the closet for that wheelchair...because soon he doesn't want to see it. She doesn't argue with him.....sorry to ramble...but in short her bypass surgery was caused by the zetia....as it has been reported to cause plaque to become unstable.

Old 07-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starship
    Hi To All,

Aside from an elevated CPK indication the death of cell muscles and the occasional very obvious large muscle pain like in the center of the thigh or mid-calf, there is no good way to tell for sure whether one's pain is coming from statins or arthritis.

If it's clear joint pain like knee, back, ankle or hands it's most likely arthritis.

Statin pain is uncommon, arthritis pain is VERY common.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

One sign is proximal muscle weakness. That would be difficulty getting up from a seated position, difficulty combing your hair or raising your arms over your head, difficulty turning over in bed. Lenin is correct joint pain is different than the muscle problems, but they can both be present. Proximal muscle weakness doesn't always have to have pain with it. Neuropathy and Myopathy can cause proximal muscle weakness.

Old 07-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Hi finres.....Well I'm glad to hear your mom is doing so much better, and yes of course the drs. won't say it is the meds. that cause any problems, afterall, they prescribed them. I know I had horrid GI problems, and it took my GI guy, who is a total sweetheart, almost 6 months to get me back on path. He prescribes statins, but like he said, sometimes a person like me comes along that just can't tolerate them. They tried me on 3 statins, Whelcol, and some other thing I can't remember the name, and most all did a number on my GI track. The Baycol really messed up my muscles, I would walk to the mailbox at the end of my driveway, then hope to the Lord above I would make it back. Dr. even had me try it only 3 times a week, but no go. As the dr. told me, it wasn't my imagination, as I didn't even own a computer and knew of noone who took statins, so they just chalked it up to FORGET IT!!

That is a shame what your mom went thru, and now she has a long way to go to get as back to normal as possible, sheesh, all over a stinking med..

Glad she isn't depressed about the rehab., like U said, she probably is just happy to beable to go and see other folks, as I know what it was like to have to be indoors most of the time, for fear of not having a "powder room" very close by. Nothing like not being able to eat, except for crackers, cheese and ginger ale, and an occassional sandwich. Good grief, that isn't living, that is just existing. My very best to U and your mom, and do keep me posted.

Thanx again for the info. and truly enjoy the holiday.......

Last edited by JJ; 07-01-2006 at 03:31 PM.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJ
    The Baycol really messed up my muscles, I would walk to the mailbox at the end of my driveway, then hope to the Lord above I would make it back.
    Wow, was it really that bad? I can't ever imagine myself being in that situation unless I was about 100 years old! I'm glad you did what you did, and ditched these drugs. If you hadn't, you would probably be 6 feet under by now.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, and I am NOT exaggerating. Most of the time I had hubby bring in the mail, but sometimes I would go out myself. Luckily I could go thru the garage, but I still had 2 small flights of stairs to climb to get upstairs, as we have a raised ranch. Many times I would sit on the bottom step before attempting to come up. I took that for about 3 weeks and said...Forget it, I am NOT going to live like this!! If I needed to go to the store it was murder getting in and out of the car, and I walked around the store like I was 110 years old and ached like hell when I got home. That is when I finally went to the dr. and told him, and showed him what I was getting like. I swear if I would have stayed on those things another month, I think I would have fallen flat on my face and God only knows if I would have gotten up. Oh well, at least they couldn't say I didn't try. The Lipitor didn't make me ache like that, it was mostly GI problems, but that Baycol was a REAL winner!!!

Hope ya have a great 4th, and TTYL......

Old 07-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #9
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
    Wow, was it really that bad? I can't ever imagine myself being in that situation unless I was about 100 years old! I'm glad you did what you did, and ditched these drugs. If you hadn't, you would probably be 6 feet under by now.
    My mom also suffered extreme muscle pains with lipitor. Her pain was so bad, she could not even walk 200 ft. w/o stopping due to pain. Unfortunately, she stated on that course for three long yrs. The dr. told her it was bcuz she was getting old (47 yrs ld) but once she stopped the med..her pain slowly ceased. I agree with finres, when she says the heart is a muscle, and it can cause heart weakness.

My mom is better also, but it was a long hard road. Now they want her on zocor. Not yet, she hasn't gone back on it.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #10
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I really feel for your mom, it is not a fun thing to go thru. Don't know how she stood it for 3 yrs., God bless her. I was only on Lipitor for about 4 months, then they stoped it. Once the GI problems got better the dr. started me on Baycol, that is when I had all the horrid pain and weakness. My dr. knocked me down to taking it 3 times a week and I still couldn't handle it, so I just got ticked off and dumped them in the pail and said NO MORE! It took a couple of months to reduce the pains and aches and weakness, so I only thank God I dumped them when I did. I think I was off Baycol for about 7 months when they got pulled off the market. Hopefully your mom does ok and can get as back to normal as possible, but like anything, it will take time and ALOT of patience. My new dr. is still trying to push me on some kind of cholesterol meds., but I just refuse to take them, as so far nothing has agreed with me. Oh well, guess I will just have to watch the diet and exercise as I have done the last 3 yrs. Sometimes the tests come back ok, other times not so ok, but I'll have to live with it.

Best wishes to your mom........

Old 07-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #11
    Zimm
    (female)

Zimm HB User

Lane413, I know exactly how your mother felt! I too had the most horrible pain from Lipitor,it went on for 7 months with one test after another until the doctor got the idea that it was probably the Lipitor. Believe me the pain in my back,chest,and down my arms was unbelievable. I couldn't even walk with out pain. I have been off Lipitor for 3 1/2 months,still have pain but not as bad or constantly as before,I was on Zetia for a month but the digestive problems were terrible I have developed strange cramps in my thighs and feet,but the strange thing is I'm not on any cholestral meds,I really should be because I have CAD and high cholestral. I see the doctor on the 17th for blood work and he might put me on something else,I hope whatever it is doesn't give me problems!! I hope your mother does real well.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #12
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zimm
    Lane413, I know exactly how your mother felt! I too had the most horrible pain from Lipitor,it went on for 7 months with one test after another until the doctor got the idea that it was probably the Lipitor. Believe me the pain in my back,chest,and down my arms was unbelievable. I couldn't even walk with out pain. I have been off Lipitor for 3 1/2 months,still have pain but not as bad or constantly as before,I was on Zetia for a month but the digestive problems were terrible I have developed strange cramps in my thighs and feet,but the strange thing is I'm not on any cholestral meds,I really should be because I have CAD and high cholestral. I see the doctor on the 17th for blood work and he might put me on something else,I hope whatever it is doesn't give me problems!! I hope your mother does real well.
    I think it might be a good idea for you to call the people at the Statin Study. If you have a problem with one statin you are 90% assured that you will have a problem with another one. Also you should ask them about CAD and statins... especially longevity..i think you will be surprised.. You can reach the people at the statin study by doing a search (UCSD statin study)..talk to marvin at ext 215.....

Closed Thread