It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Fish Oil & High Cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2006, 07:38 AM   #1
    PollyAnn
    (female)

PollyAnn HB User
    Fish Oil & High Cholesterol

I have a friend who swears Fish Oil causes her a weight gain. I never heard anyone complain of this nor have I come upon any reading on this. She tried 3 different types of Fish Oil (separate times) and noted she did gain weight while on any type of Fish Oil. When she stopped her weight began to drop again. She has stopped now 6 weeks and lost 9 pounds.

She had a full bottle of Fish Oil and asked if I wanted it. I decided I would try it even though I eat plenty of fresh caught fish daily plus I use flaxseeds full of Omega's. I have been taking 3 Fish Oil before bed for 6 weeks and have been sleeping more soundly and I have NOT gained weight but my morning glucose has been creeping up for a few weeks. So, I stopped the Fish Oil on Sunday (last dose) and today my morning glucose was back to normal again!

MY QUESTION: My glucose is very under control BUT has anyone heard of Fish Oil raising Cholesterol? My last Cholesterol reading was off the chart and I'm wondering if somehow I have an 'odd' reaction to Fish Oil like my friend with her weight gain.

Strange question, I know, but I think it may be adding to a raise in my readings and wondered if anyone ever heard of such a thing?

PollyAnn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User
    Re: Fish Oil & High Cholesterol

I doubt it would raise your readings. My husband has high cholesterol and was put on Crestor. When he went back for a test, his cholesterol was normal but his triglycerides were sky-high. His doctor recommended he take Omega3 fish oil daily to help lower his triglycerides. Next time he got his cholesterol checked, both cholesterol and triglycerides were normal. I doubt his doc would have told him to take something that would raise his cholesterol more.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:26 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

PollyAnne,

Fish oil is a supplement that contains aboput 50 calories/teaspoonfull (5 grams.)
    I take 5 grams of fish oil and 5 grams of lecithin (also pure fat) daily and thus get 100 calories/day extra.
    Over a year, this amounts to 36,500 calories or just about an even 10 pounds. So yes, fish oil can cause weight gain, just like any food.

Of course the way to deal with the caloric increase is to pare down the calories from something else, like another fat.

In absorbing any oil, the short term effect is to raise triglycerides as the oil is absorbed, oil is virtually 100% triglyceride. But after a 14 hour fast, the net benefit is usually a lowering of serum triglycerides with increased use of a high Omega-3 oil like fish oil.

I can't imagine why the effect on blood glucose?

[Removed]

Last edited by HBMod07; 08-27-2006 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Quoting materials that you did not personally write is not permitted

Old 08-24-2006, 07:34 AM   #4
    PollyAnn
    (female)

PollyAnn HB User

Lenin,

Thanks for your post. I printed it out to show my friend. I knew Fish Oil had calories as does Flaxseeds, which I take daily but it was my friend that had a weight gain and I did not. I think she may have gained because she does NOT exercise on a daily basis and I exercise 5-6 days a week. That makes a big difference in burning calories.

Quote:
    I can't imagine why the effect on blood glucose?
    I found this strange also and didn't put the two together until I stopped the Fish Oil. It ONLY affected my FBG (morning) readings. Maybe because I took it before bed. I read several articles that Fish Oil has been proven to promote a good nights sleep. And for me, it did that.

My problem : while I was taking the Fish Oil I also had blood work for cholesterol and my numbers were horrible:

Chol: 257
    Tri: 189
    HDL: 43
    LDL: 177
    Ratio:6.0

Possibly, my body had a rare reaction to the Fish Oil and it shot my cholesterol numbers out of control? I've made changes in my diet and stopped the Fish Oil and will re-test in a few weeks. I'll leave it at that and bang my head against the wall if I do get the same results then.

PollyAnn

Last edited by PollyAnn; 08-24-2006 at 08:42 AM.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

I would suspect that is much more important to take the fish oil than it is to look at cholesterol numbers. Numbers are just that... numbers....fish oil is know to lower inflammation in the arteries and is extremely beneficial to the heart.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:10 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Numbers may be just numbers but some are important.
    Try telling a cop who says that you were going 90 that "numbers are just numbers."
    Or have a person try to control his weight without a scale.

Or indeed, try to get into a good college with SAT's averaging 400.

Ignore a BP of 200 and you have a stroke...

Numbers are the way we guage success or failure at EVERYTHING.
    Mere FAITH doesn't work for most people as in "take this, it's good for you!"

Old 08-25-2006, 07:17 AM   #7
    PollyAnn
    (female)

PollyAnn HB User

NHone may be referring to the whole Cholesterol myth and for the most part I was one to not worry about my cholesterol numbers. They may have NOT been excellent but they were all within reason.

My numbers now are just puzzling.....and a signal that something is wrong. I have the ability to correct them once I figure what it is but NO I am not comfortable to just leave my numbers as they are now and do nothing about them. I eat a good diet, take healthy supplements and excerise daily, for a me to not do anything about my recent numbers is insane.

Since Fish Oil was added shortly before the testing I'm thinking maybe my body didn't have time to adjust to it and that's the reason for my off-beat numbers? Maybe? Wh Know? We'll see what the next test says....

PollyAnn

Last edited by PollyAnn; 08-25-2006 at 08:56 AM.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:24 PM   #8
    Mark1e
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Mark1e HB User

PollAnn,

Your numbers, for what they are worth, are really not that bad. I guess there is a philosphical issue at stake here. The popular belief is that we must manage these numbers and do whatever it takes to get them in line with some idealised man-made guidelines. The reality is that we are all different. And we all have different things going on in our bodies. So our cholesterol levels don't all have to be the same. And I trust my body to make the right choices in it's own best interests.

Your liver is continually getting signals to produce various substances, including cholesterol, which are required for your body function properly. And it produces as much cholesterol as it is told to. If you are well nourished and reasonably healthy, your cholesterol will be as high as it needs to be. If your cholesterol is higher than usual, there is probably something going on in your body which requires it. It could be damage caused by an injury, inflammation in your coronary ateries, or a whole host of other things.

While a statistical association between high levels of cholesterol and heart disease has been demonstrated, to suggest that heart attacks are caused by your liver producing cholesterol misses the point entirely. And a cholesterol number that the pharmaceutical companies indirectly tell us is unacceptable, is not a good enough reason to second guess the body's amazing control mechanisms.

I get a lot more satisfaction from thinking positively about how my body works and helping it to do a better job. I do this in spite of the fact that my immune system made a big mistake when it destroyed all my beta cells. And I am still convinced that our bodies hardly ever make mistakes. Thinking this way puts my focus on eating well, getting exercise and thinking positively.

Cheers,

Mark

Old 08-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

I was referring only to cholesterol numbers. I do feel that blood pressure numbers are important. In fact The Journal of the American Geriatric Society shows that once you hit 65 you can stop worrying about your cholesterol level. In a study over 11 years and Italian study showed the higher the total or the bad cholesterol level , the longer people lived. However men whose ldl level was above 160 would have benefited from a slightly but not dramatically lower level. This research is in accord with the results of the Framingham Heart Study. It shows that after people reach middle age , their cholesterol level no longer has a significant impact on how long they will live. And once people reach 80, its the same in the Framinghan as it is in norther Italy, the higher the cholesterol, the longer people live.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:17 PM   #10
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

I was referring only to cholesterol numbers. I do feel that blood pressure numbers are important. In fact The Journal of the American Geriatric Society shows that once you hit 65 you can stop worrying about your cholesterol level. In a study over 11 years and Italian study showed the higher the total or the bad cholesterol level , the longer people lived. However men whose ldl level was above 160 would have benefited from a slightly but not dramatically lower level. This research is in accord with the results of the Framingham Heart Study. It shows that after people reach middle age , their cholesterol level no longer has a significant impact on how long they will live. And once people reach 80, its the same in the Framinghan as it is in norther Italy, the higher the cholesterol, the longer people live.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:28 AM   #11
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Perhaps then when I hit 80, I'll rethink cholesterol risk. Maybe if I switch my lineage to Italian, it might help too.

Geriatric "all death" studies are skewed by one simple fact: cancer lowers cholesterol as it kills the body...and people who don't die of heart disease usually die of cancer. Cancer also vastly increases the incidence of suicide.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-26-2006 at 04:31 AM.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:18 AM   #12
    liverock
    (male)

liverock HB User

You may be interested to know a drug company called OMACOR has now got FDA approval to market fish oil as a prescription drug, and guess what -they only cost $236 for a 180-1,00mg capsules, thats 9 times the cost of top quality fish oil supplements in the health store.

Seems this company ran a study on patients with high trigs and showed the FDA that they reduced them by 50% (just like the health store fish oil capsules ). The FDA seems to be unaware that its a well known fact that fish oil reduces trigs and duly gave them a drug licence.

Now you can get your fish oil on prescription,mind you the co-payment will probably be higher than the cost of the health store capsules.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:48 AM   #13
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

liverock,

Same for NIASPAN and niacin. Drug companies are only TOO willing to sell hyperinflated substances to people with more money than brains.

The "Vitamin Cartel" isn't above the same practices selling amino acids that are hugely available in common foods in big capsules at 10 time the cost of the same amino acids gotten in chicken.

Look at the people who "rent to buy" TV's and furniture in poor areas of town...they merrily pay 5 times the cost because they don't know how to multiply!

The Barnum quote (probably not really his) is very apt:
    "There's a sucker born every minute...and two to take 'em."

PollyAnne,
    Let us know the results of your next test WITHOUT fish oils...there's no substitute for hard data!

Last edited by Lenin; 08-30-2006 at 07:06 AM.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:59 AM   #14
    PollyAnn
    (female)

PollyAnn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    PollyAnne,
    Let us know the results of your next test WITHOUT fish oils...there's no substitute for hard data!
    I sure will post my next results.
    It may be a learning lesson for us all even though I may be in an isolated circumstance.

PollyAnn

Closed Thread