It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• statins and depression/fatigue,anger

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
    cap'n chuy
    (female)

cap'n chuy HB User
    statins and depression/fatigue,anger

my dr prescribed vytorin for my high cholesterol(330). i seem to be having a lot of depressed/hopeless moods, more severe than my usual monthly related ones.Also more fatigue. i am having trouble finding info about this. Mostly i find info about muscle aches. anyone else have or hear about this?
    thanks, krista

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
    janeslk
    Veteran
    (female)

janeslk HB User
    Re: statins and depression/fatigue,anger

There is a website that allows people to rate their medications and list what problems they encountered with certain medications as well as the benefits they derived from the medication. I don't know about your statin, but I was surprised to see several people listing depression and not feeling like themselves listed several times when Lipitor and Zocar were rated.

Jane

Old 09-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Lowered cholesterol can cause depression. It can also cause violence.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Being told you have a problem that is likely to affect your heart and your lifespan is VERY depressing for many people.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
    chj
    (female)

chj HB User

I think it is very wrong to say that feeling depressed and having a cholesterol of 330 is "likely to affect your heart". Why!? Many people have suffered depression and othe side effects from statins and on top of it all the fear of having problems with your heart. Many people who has had high cholesterol and still have, has nothing wrong with their hearts. The fear of cholesterol is really getting out of hand. There are many other riskfactors to be taken into account.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

CHJ...My own personal opinion is that people do not understand cholesterol. They do NOT understand what the body needs cholesterol for. Some people require more cholesterol than others. That includes a NEW daily supply of cholesterol. Cholesterol affects seretonin, the body's "feel good" hormone. As for females...no study, at any time, anywhere....has shown that reducing cholesterol in women has resulted in increased longevity. EVER! In fact long term studies have shown that women with higher cholesterol live longer (well over 200)...including LDl...... WHile i was typing this I have seen 4 commercials for cholesterol medications on CBS, during the CBS evening news....including one for Caduet...the new one with a blood pressure medication with lipitor in it, (this one has had very limited trials, and that information is only available in abstract form. Also there is no data available regarding the number of patients reaching their blood pressure or lipid goals) [removed]. guess they'll use the public a guniea pigs.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-17-2006 at 05:48 AM. Reason: do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:15 AM   #7
    chj
    (female)

chj HB User

NHone- I think you are SO right. People donīt understand cholesterol, yet it is forever pumped into us that if our cholesterol is not 200 or under, well heaven help us if we donīt take statins. I think it is terrifying how we all get brainwashed into this thinking and how easy it seems to be for the drug and food industry to achieve this. Trouble is that when you start to think there is something seriously wrong with you it is easy to go along with it, pop a pill and feel safe. The new conbination pills that you mention, in my opinion, is going to make more people into hypochondriacs and patients. How is it possible that a middleaged small old lady, a tall young man weighing three times more should have the same readings? Does not make sense to me. I think you are right when you say that some need more cholesterol than others. Do you go along with the suggestion that high cholesterol is a a sign of a underlying problem? Also, I do believe that statins can cause depression.Two of my relatives have been on Zocor for ten years. Both of them have muscle problems and are on anti depressant tablets.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

It is a well known fact that cholesterol is needed for you to feel good (not depressed)....It is not just someone's opinion, but a chemical certainty. I however have mixed feeling on high cholesterol and an underlying problem. I think.. (right now), that inflammation is the real problem. Since 50% of the people with heart disease have high cholesterol , and 50% don't...I think there is a major flaw in the cholesterol theory. Drug companies have pushed people to be concerned with numbers...while the underlying cause goes untreated. All of the studies on cholesterol (even the drug company ones) have never , ever, ever, ever shown that lowering cholesterol in women increases their longevity. Its funny how people always quote that high cholesterol causes your arteries to clog...unfortunately all the research relies upon the long ago theory. New research has only used that as their base..they have never tried to prove or disprove that theory. Similiar to building upon a bad foundation, at some point the building will fall.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

My husband had his arteries cleaned back in 1994, as the left side was 90-97% clogged. At that time his cholesterol was fine, that is why the drs. were so amazed at his arteries being that badly clogged. Naturally they shoved him on statins, Lipitor at first, and he took it for 7 years. During that time he had horrid pains in the legs, feet and arms, but we knew of noone taking statins so had no idea what was going on. In 2000 they put me on statins and I never was so sick in my life, mostly GI problems. We finally got a computer that year as well, so I did some research, boy did my eyes get opened. After many tries with other statins and non statin meds. for cholesterol, I told the dr. NO way would I take them, and both hubby and I ditched them. I only wish I knew then what I know now, as neither of us would have touched them. Even hubby's cardio man said he should not take them, as his quality of life was going down hill. Today he now suffers with permanent PN, and had to retire from his job early due to all those side effects.

For those that can take statins and feel fine, God bless, but for many of us, the so called CURE, is worse then high numbers. JMHO As far as depression, my girlfriends husband had to be taken off statins due to moodyness, depression and leg pain. She said he was not the same person on the meds., and since he has gone off one year ago, he is now back to his old self. Each person has to evaluate how they feel on them and if you don't feel right, then talk with your dr. about a more natural approach. Yes, I have had 2 drs. try and scare the pants off of me if I didn't take them, but I still refused, and many drs. will not treat you if you refuse to take their advice, it happened to me, but you have to decide what is best for you.

Good luck to all.......

Old 09-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
    edkal
    (male)

edkal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJ
    My husband had his arteries cleaned back in 1994, as the left side was 90-97% clogged. At that time his cholesterol was fine, that is why the drs. were so amazed at his arteries being that badly clogged. Naturally they shoved him on statins, Lipitor at first, and he took it for 7 years. During that time he had horrid pains in the legs, feet and arms, but we knew of noone taking statins so had no idea what was going on. In 2000 they put me on statins and I never was so sick in my life, mostly GI problems. We finally got a computer that year as well, so I did some research, boy did my eyes get opened. After many tries with other statins and non statin meds. for cholesterol, I told the dr. NO way would I take them, and both hubby and I ditched them. I only wish I knew then what I know now, as neither of us would have touched them. Even hubby's cardio man said he should not take them, as his quality of life was going down hill. Today he now suffers with permanent PN, and had to retire from his job early due to all those side effects.

For those that can take statins and feel fine, God bless, but for many of us, the so called CURE, is worse then high numbers. JMHO As far as depression, my girlfriends husband had to be taken off statins due to moodyness, depression and leg pain. She said he was not the same person on the meds., and since he has gone off one year ago, he is now back to his old self. Each person has to evaluate how they feel on them and if you don't feel right, then talk with your dr. about a more natural approach. Yes, I have had 2 drs. try and scare the pants off of me if I didn't take them, but I still refused, and many drs. will not treat you if you refuse to take their advice, it happened to me, but you have to decide what is best for you.

Good luck to all.......
    I have to agree with a lot that you all have said about satins and not being of the femalw sex, what is PN mean ( above) Perment Pn damage.

So much for being a male.

thanks.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #11
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

PN is short for Peripheral Neuropathy. It is a nerve damaging disease, usually associated with diabetes. My husband had the PN long before he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, another thing he never had till going on statins. As time goes by, his feet and now his hands are getting numb. It usually starts with tingling and soreness and developes into numbness, and is very painful. Many nites he is up till 3 or 4 a.m. trying to calm it down, even with meds. he takes for it. Trust me, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:20 PM   #12
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

JJ...has he ever tried cymbalta? I know some people have had excellent success with it for PN......however in some people it has made no difference.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:51 PM   #13
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

No, but thanx for the suggestion, I will have him ask his dr. next visit. I know they had him on some med., can't think of the name of it, but it did no good at all. It would be nice to have something that worked. For now they have him on Darvocet so he can get some sleep.

Thanx again for the suggestion, it is much appreciated.......

Old 09-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #14
    adec
    Inactive
    (male)

adec HB User

Contrary to what the medical community is telling you, your body wasn't meant to have such low lipid blood concentrations; it simply isn't natural. First, your brain needs these lipids to fully function, as well as your muscles. And what your doctor won't tell you is how statin drugs can deplete CoQ10, a very necessary and important nutrient in the body... also needed for proper brain, muscle, and immune function. Statin drugs and supplements don't even raise HDL (good cholesterol,) only lower LDL (bad cholesterol.)

As a cholesterol agent alone, I'd rather see people take Niacin (which lowers LDL, and raises HDL) and any fibrous substance such as Flax or Psyllium. Of course, eating more fruits and vegetables and exercising is just as important.

And then I'm certain that Fish Oil does a far better job at increasing mortality than statins.... all without the potential for amnesia, memory loss, muscle pain, weakness, lethargy. Sure, on Lipitor you'll have lower LDL, but there's also a chance you won't remember your last doctors visit. Don't believe me? Just ask my mom, who suffered from a documented case of amnesia due to Lipitor.

BTW, Dr. Duane Graveline speaks about many of the side-effects of Lipitor, many of which he suffered, in his book Statin Drugs Side Effects and The Misguided War on Cholesterol.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-14-2006 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting rules section titled "How to share information"

Old 09-15-2006, 06:25 PM   #15
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NHone
    JJ...has he ever tried cymbalta? I know some people have had excellent success with it for PN......however in some people it has made no difference.
    Hubby emailed his dr. and asked about the Cymbalta. She told him it is almost the same as the Ammetriptolein (sp.?) he was on, but got off due to hives, so I guess that is a no go. Thanx again for the suggestion, it was worth a try, and I am always willing to try.......

Closed Thread